Spring 2012

MJL

This spring hasn’t been as generous with regards to numbers of fish, but I can’t remember any other spring season where I’ve had as much fun.

Trout

Since I started hunting the resident fish a couple years ago, Brookies & brown trout have taken up more and more of my time in spring. I started with worms and spinners a few years ago but this year I had the luxury of borrowing a couple dozen different fly rods to test out from a friend (who is a guide and a serious gear junky). From 6wt down through 00wt, I tried all the lighter fly rods he had. Some I absolutely did not enjoy casting, some were too long, and others were just absolute bliss – I even tried 1 that was made of bamboo and a few that were fibreglass. After trying out the 0wt, 2wt and 4wt models, I ran to the shop and picked up a 7’11” 3wt Sage TXL-F and a small Orvis Battenkill mid-arbor reel to call my own.

The rod has been a dream to cast in the tiny to moderately small streams I’ve been fishing. When you’re out on the streams 12-17hrs per day, you might as well get something that fits your hand like a glove.

Some pics I took from 1 clear freestone stream

IMG_3385a.jpg

IMG_6051e.jpg

Rising for bugs

IMG_3390m2.jpg

Dark purple brookie I caught from a tiny spring creek

IMG_5884d.jpg

IMG_5867z.jpg

IMG_3357a.jpg

Brookie I caught in a stream behind a busy gas station - go figure

IMG_5805a.jpg

Brown which put a nice bend in the 3wt

IMG_5338b.jpg

Lakers/Whities

Since I took up ice fishing for lakers a couple years ago, I’ve always wanted to try to catch one in open water. I also never caught a whitefish either so any opportunity to catch one would be awesome. A few weeks ago, Will (Young_One) took me & Frozen-Fire out onto Simcoe to try for some whities. The trip didn’t start out good. Will lost his boat plug the day before and we spent the morning in a Wal-Mart parking lot waiting for them to open – We killed time by pushing Will around the parking lot in a shopping cart... :D

On the water we tried a few different areas without much luck. The last spot of the day, Frozen-Fire gets one whitie to chase his BadBoyz up almost 60ft before it hit

IMG_3504az.jpg

With my 36” med-action ice rod, I managed to hook into a decent sized laker but lost it 15 ft below the boat after an awesome battle :(

Walleye

I got out twice for walleyes with Will, Frozen-Fire and EC1 the last couple of weeks. It would be my first time ripping bucktail jigs through weeds. Walleye have never been all that kind to me – In a nutshell, I just suck at catching them.LOL

I borrowed a couple bucktails off Will and pitched them into the weeds. I was surprised at how effective the technique was. A lot of the time, they would hit on the drop and all I’d feel is a little tick on the line. I didn’t leave the lake empty handed and managed to eat my first ever walleye :thumbsup_anim:. Floured & fried up in hot oil, the walleyes were tasty!

Double header action

208988_10101222087344242_1050463285_n1.jpg

Goldfish

For me, the carp fishing has been slower than normal this year. Usual spots which often cough up 20-50 fish per day haven’t been nearly as generous for the most part. I did still manage to snap some nifty underwater shots of some feisty carp.

IMG_6337c.jpg

IMG_6385b.jpg

IMG_6481z1.jpg

IMG_6426d2-1.jpg

IMG_6745b.jpg

Ran into Mikeh at one swim – He was doing well (Frozen-Fire lending a hand with the net)

IMG_6530f-1.jpg

Sweet mirror

IMG_6658a.jpg

Today I took my dad out to one spot for an early father’s day gift. He enjoyed the trip very much – Last year he complained he hooked into too many fish and his arms were sore after 3.5hrs :dunno:. This year my dad was happy we hooked into the perfect amount of fish :lol:

IMG_3721z.jpg

IMG_3730a-1.jpg

Hope you enjoyed

Mike

Good stuff. I also just upgraded my fly gear this spring to a 7 ft 3 weight. The longer, bulkier blanks are nice for longer casts on open stretches of creek but they're a pain once you get in the skinny stuff.

I found the brownies pretty good too, finally. :thumbsup_anim:

I'm so thankful to see you in good health Mike. You're a king at underwater photography. Thank you for sharing those great shots, many of which would make terrific paintings.

Be well....

Thanks guys. Glad you liked the pics :)

I'm having deja vu looking at all these pics :)

Really amazing shots Mike. You're becoming quite the photographer my friend.

Once I pick up a couple switch rods (5 & 7wt) and other bits & bobs of tackle, I’m definitely going to be getting that plane ticket to Cranbrook for some underwater cutty & bull trout photo shoots :D

I love those underwater pictures you're taking, keep it up :D

What camera are you taking those shots with ?

Thanks :) For the underwater shots, I was using a Canon 40D with an 11-16mm lens

very cool Mike!

I think some Northern Ontario specks are calling your name....

TDunn

You know it Tyler...After seeing all the pics of brookies that you & DanC post up, they have been on my radar the last couple of years. Finding time to make it north just hasn’t been possible yet. Hopefully if the season is still open in September, I may have a couple weeks off to chase some steelhead-sized brookies your way :D