Fishing without a trolling motor

10point

Do any of you fish without a trolling motor? I am going on a trip soon with a couple of guys that don't fish much. They are renting a boat. They get a 8 horse motor but no trolling motor. I use mine all the time.

When I had my boat I always used the electric for positioning; thinking it’s much quieter and that the main motor would scare the fish.

Well the first year we went to the West Arm we hired a guide for a half day; just to get a feel of the place and the thought of hitting all those prop loving shoals; he could show us where not to go.

That young guy never shut his motor off once; he just let it idle and kept bouncing it in and out of gear forward or reverse to hold our drift and reposition the boat. He also kept us on the pickerel all morning, in as shallow as 7 or 8 feet of water. I couldn’t believe it, this old headshaking, smoken and snorting old 2 stroke, didn’t seem to bother the fish at all. After that schooling from the guide I rarely used the electric other then when we were really shallow and there was a chance of the prop getting hit.

Dan.

When I had my boat I always used the electric for positioning; thinking it's much quieter and that the main motor would scare the fish.

Well the first year we went to the West Arm we hired a guide for a half day; just to get a feel of the place and the thought of hitting all those prop loving shoals; he could show us where not to go.

That young guy never shut his motor off once; he just let it idle and kept bouncing it in and out of gear forward or reverse to hold our drift and reposition the boat. He also kept us on the pickerel all morning, in as shallow as 7 or 8 feet of water. I couldn't believe it, this old headshaking, smoken and snorting old 2 stroke, didn't seem to bother the fish at all. After that schooling from the guide I rarely used the electric other then when we were really shallow and there was a chance of the prop getting hit.

Dan.

I couldnt agree more with this post most of the bush lakes around here are too small or have too much limited access for my big fishing boat so i use my 14 foot tinnie with a 15 horse evinrude and i run that thing up shallow in less than 8 ft of water (trolling) or controlled drifting and I feel it out performs my trolling motor on the bigger boat for trolling and controlled drifting 9 times out of 10, just my 2 cents :)

cheers

this old headshaking, smoken and snorting old 2 stroke, didn’t seem to bother the fish at all.

When I'm out on the water I'll take the peace & quietness of my electric any day, thank ya very much :lol:

When I'm out on the water I'll take the peace & quietness of my electric any day, thank ya very much :lol:

x2 I would much rather use the gas to get me there, and the trolling motor to keep me there. less pollution in the water and in my lungs...

In my opimion its ok to fish without one. After having said that I use my eletric all the time..Somtimes I forget the battery at home and dont bother using the eletric and I have just as much fun..

Use the wind to your advantage and it's all about where you setup on the spot. Use the off engine as a guide to turn you slightly when needed.

I can't believe I used to fish without a trolling motor :lol: !

I fish without one all the time and have for many years although Pikeslayer gave me one this spring and I think I will mount it as soon as I get a chance. Not necessary but nice to have.

Dont wait to long cliff. Green fish open soon. ;)

Once you have used one,it,s like Terry said.

As was mentioned, it really depends on what type of fishing. I have yet to own one, but I sure do like using them when I have the chance. In my tinners, if I'm in shallow I just stand up front and use one of the oars to pole my way around anyway....any other time I just idle along with the motor...shutting it off if wind allows...flipping in and out of gear if not. I don't think for this one trip you are going to be at too much of a loss.

Would find it very difficult to be without one (that and depthfinder) and do when I'm without it (them). Two things that do help on the fly in trips are drift socks to slow down a drift and an anchor to keep you positioned on the spot. Many years ago when I use to rent a boat I still had an electric of my own a put it on the transom. 25 +years later, that trolling motor will be put to work again this weekend.

I would call it the most important piece of electronics on the boat.

Sure, sonars are great, but your bait should be an even better fishfinder.

The trolling motor rarely ever is off even when I'm on my canoe.

You can still have a good day on the water without one. Use the wind, as mentioned, and drift with it. Use your anchor to hold your spot for a bit and use the 8 hp motor for positioning or even back trolling.

Edited by Squid

For me it is a must, especially when I go up north as the trolling motor is constantly in use. Currently in the process of trying to convince the wife that a Terrova will increase our catch ratio. Its not going so well :(.

I HATE fishing with out a trolling motor. Drives me insane. At the mercy of the wind or lack there of which is very tough when you are a spot on a spot type fisherman.

Have to say probably the #1 tool on a boat for me, next would be a powerpole.

Edited by Harrison