Algonquin Trout Opener ~ Pic's And Video

Hey I recognize that spot.

A Truly unique Ontario experience.

And probably one of the only places in the world where you can roll up and catch trophy brookies 2-3 hours from Toronto.

Also your guide was not too shabby (minus the canoe issue) LOL.

I would pump/hump through 5 k of bush for that any day......

Call me any day you need a porter...

Nemo

Now's that's some real fishing! I had the old guys from Toronto huffing and puffing when fishing the rivers here. All I kept hearing was "What is this mountain goat stuff?!?" I definitely had to accept that you walk a lot longer and on much less beaten - and often steep - paths to fish here. Your determination is a testament to your commitment to this great pastime.

And those moments of "good luck" often seem to happen for a reason when fishing - reminding us how lucky we are and the satisfaction of helping another and being helped. In the past year alone I got swept down a river attempting a tricky river crossing and got stuck in the snow ice fishing a remote lake where I saw no one the last two times I had gone. I was over 20 km away from the nearest highway, solo, and with absolutely no cell service. I thought I was royally screwed and I had just arrived. To my "good luck" someone actually showed up that day, had me out in a few and I was on my way fishing once again.

Thanks for the reminding me about those lucky moments.

Edited by Jet

I'm gratified that you guys enjoyed the story. Some of the comments lead me to believe that perhaps I should take a bit more time with the writing, and I mean that in a good way. As per usual I whipped off the report in about an hour at work last night.

Anyhow thanks for the comments gents.

I can relate to your canoe mishap.

My Dad and I once had to mend a punctured Chestnut Prospector with kerosene-can-wrapped duct tape, sandwich bags and bubble gum. It was an uncomfortable situation at the time, but we were ultimately rewarded with humility and a good story. The spec fishing was great as well!

Just another chapter in your book of adventures, eh? I guess a re-think is needed for your canoe-cart; you're not likely to smell melting canoe when your pulling it :) thanks for sharing.

A chestnut prospector? Ouch! As far as the cart goes, it's fine. Apparantly if you pull a couple of pins out you can rotate the pads upwards, higher than the wheels and lock them in place. Who knew? :whistling:

Ohhh and to add.

Fidel... way to slay the shore and boat fish dood! That last pic and fish is a beauty man.

You know what? All the fish were very similar in size, they were all beauties. That last pic of Fidel does make the fish look extra big though LOL!

Great tale. Beautiful fish. Mr. Bice would have had a chuckle, and maybe a shake of the head, about that trip.

I'm pretty sure you're right.

5k portage hell and then discovering not one but two holes in your canoe. I just about cried right along with you two. Way to save the day from your fellow campers. 1 1/2 on the way out is very impressive as were the fish. Thanks for the report.

Brad, at some point we need to fish together!

Mike you're making me re-live every blissful moment from our trip.. Each and every agonizing and blissful moment. :blink:

Totally epic opener budday! You're awesome company to have in the brush.

cheers

HD

So....remember that other lake I told you about? It's a bit of a longer drive, a bit harder to access, but so loaded with fish.

Let's do it! HAHA!

Hey I recognize that spot.

A Truly unique Ontario experience.

And probably one of the only places in the world where you can roll up and catch trophy brookies 2-3 hours from Toronto.

Also your guide was not too shabby (minus the canoe issue) LOL.

I would pump/hump through 5 k of bush for that any day......

Call me any day you need a porter...

Nemo

Thanks Nemo!

In the past year alone I got swept down a river attempting a tricky river crossing and got stuck in the snow ice fishing a remote lake where I saw no one the last two times I had gone. I was over 20 km away from the nearest highway, solo, and with absolutely no cell service. I thought I was royally screwed and I had just arrived. To my "good luck" someone actually showed up that day, had me out in a few and I was on my way fishing once again.

Thanks for the reminding me about those lucky moments.

Would love to hear some more detail. You're a man after my own heart sir. :)

What an adventure!!! For the first few paragraphs I was seriously on the edge of my seat, afraid to read further...very very glad to hear that it got better! And man oh man are those ever some nice brookies!

Solopaddler comes through...by paddling solo thumbsup_anim.gif

Awesome story Mike.

Good on you guys for toughing it out and of course you guys were rewarded. I have been wanting to do the whole portaging thing in Algonquin for a while and this report just made me want to book a campsite right now.

Looks like an alright trip, I guess, if you're into that sort of thing. :dunno::sarcasm:

I was chomping at the bit waiting for the report!

Spectacular outing!

Without a doubt one of the best experiences of my life was as an 8 day Algonquin trip when 18. Although sadly that was 20+ years ago and the last time I've been to the park. :wallbash:

Hopefully it goes without saying, if you want to share another 5k portage, just let me know when and where! (I'll carry the canoe) ;)

Also, as previously noted, excellent writing!

Algonquin holds many untold stories, but thanks for sharing that one. I wish i had kept better accounts of the trips I took, mostly just memories now. I really need to get back there.

This winter we had lake trout Ceviche on the ice in Temagami, that Brookie would have been real nice to try that recipe on. :thumbsup_anim:

I too was waiting for this report , I couldn't imagine what you guys were thinking when you discovered the damaged canoe but

actually I some what can, but we had tape at the time !

Great report Mike and some very nice fish , You have to love Algonquin "She's a Beauty" :canadian: