The MNR is a joke

mikeseb

So over the month of april, i did a ton of sucker fishing on a local creek. Almost every time I went out i saw people clearly targeting rainbow trout (using roe, 10ft+ rods etc). Every time I would call the MNR report line but of course those CO`S are to busy sleeping with the dog (for lack of a better word). Then one day i encountered two people, a father and son, that were fishing roe with centerpin reels and raven float rods. I told them they were breaking the law and they looked at me as if i was speaking a different language. When i was leaving the creek to go get picked up i saw the 2 guys loading a steelhead into there car!! once again i told them it was illigal and they ignored me. I took tons of pictures of them including there licence plate and filed another report to the MNR including pictures and after following up with them i found out again nothing was done. Then about a week after that i saw the same 2 guys snag a bow and cut out a hole where the roe is on the fish and squeeze about half a ziploc bag of roe out of the fish, and then he threw it back!! Again i was taking tons of pictures and filed another report to the MNR and after following up, NOTHING WAS DONE!! Im not one to take the law into my own hands, but i think next time I see people fishing OOS (especially the father and son) and continue to do so after i warn them its illegal, i might accidentally step on a 500 dollar rod and warp a 500 dollar reel. What would you guys do if you where in my shoes?

Thats NOT right. We have those rules for a reason and people need to follow them. The fact that the MNR isnt doing anything is crap. Down my way i heard about a couple guys tossing crankbait with a steel leader tied on for pike got a fine.

i might accidentally step on a 500 dollar rod and warp a 500 dollar reel.

Don't do that; you'll wind up in more trouble than it's worth. I understand and empathize with your outrage, but don't go so far that's it's you who is doing the explaining to the police, CO, or court. Just keep reporting the event/date/time/location and the licence plate number. You've certainly done your part and should be able to sleep well knowing you did. And be discreet taking any photos; you never know when one of these clowns will take serious offense and turn it into something really ugly.

Thats NOT right. We have those rules for a reason and people need to follow them. The fact that the MNR isnt doing anything is crap. Down my way i heard about a couple guys tossing crankbait with a steel leader tied on for pike got a fine.

I agree. You know of pike poachers being fined. I know of white-bucket-brigaders getting checked. We shouldn't say the MNR is doing nothing. The MNR is doing what it can with the resources it has. The MNR needs more COs. We should all tell our MPPs, in wiriting, that we want more MNR enforcement.

You're doing all you can do short of writing to your local MPP. Would be great if local tackle shops posted photos of said miscreants on a wall of fame for all to see.

Your first point is a great one; I will do it too.

Point 2 really won't fly. If you owned the tackle shop, would you post the poachers' pictures? They aren't guilty yet. And how do you know the guy telling you the story is any more legitimate than those he's complaining about.

Post their picture here.....

I like this idea.

Edited by whiskywizard

Its human nature, happens all around us, all the time. Like speeders and reckless drivers on the highway.We see it everyday, but the police are never around.There is simply not enough agents to enforce the laws of the land, and people ''in general'' take advantage of this.Very sad indeed.

In my area the CO's have been a pleasure to deal with.

I've called the tips line on more then one occasion and they've shown up every time, late, but they did show up.

I see the same group of CO's pretty regularly and speak with them when I get a chance. Even they say it's tough because that one boat is patrolling a huge stretch of the river.

Your doing what you can and should feel good about that. One day that couple will get what they have coming to them.

So over the month of april, i did a ton of sucker fishing on a local creek. Almost every time I went out i saw people clearly targeting rainbow trout (using roe, 10ft+ rods etc). Every time I would call the MNR report line but of course those CO`S are to busy sleeping with the dog (for lack of a better word). Then one day i encountered two people, a father and son, that were fishing roe with centerpin reels and raven float rods. I told them they were breaking the law and they looked at me as if i was speaking a different language. When i was leaving the creek to go get picked up i saw the 2 guys loading a steelhead into there car!! once again i told them it was illigal and they ignored me. I took tons of pictures of them including there licence plate and filed another report to the MNR including pictures and after following up with them i found out again nothing was done. Then about a week after that i saw the same 2 guys snag a bow and cut out a hole where the roe is on the fish and squeeze about half a ziploc bag of roe out of the fish, and then he threw it back!! Again i was taking tons of pictures and filed another report to the MNR and after following up, NOTHING WAS DONE!! Im not one to take the law into my own hands, but i think next time I see people fishing OOS (especially the father and son) and continue to do so after i warn them its illegal, i might accidentally step on a 500 dollar rod and warp a 500 dollar reel. What would you guys do if you where in my shoes?

Hmm this seems shady to me....... a ton of sucker fishing eh. I dont know one guy who fishes a pin, or spin for bows who TARGETS suckers...... are you telling me that if you nailed a bow, or a brown you wouldnt reel it in?

Now I can agree with you about the cutting a hole in the fish for roe, that is brutality at its best......But Its rather convenient that this has been posted right after the lad who posted his bass! Ill tell ya man, I agree with you when it comes to poaching etc...... but sometimes you have to mind your own business..... are you a cop? are you a part of the ministry? As for the ministry there is a reason why they dont go to certain places where poaching is considered an everyday thing..... its because some cultures dont understand our laws and to them fish is food....... now have you ever tried to take food from a hungry dog? Not a pretty sight.... and its for this reason many COs dont go to these places........ why endanger themselves...if this wasnt the case they would be down at bronte all the time! Moving forward I see the ministry everywhere I go, and im out 5 days a week at least....... I have seen them at credit, bronte, hamilton harbour (laselle, pier 8, valley inn) Brantfords wilkes dam just to name a few............. You need to relax a little! Next your going to be asking people for the license lol

:rofl2:

Edited by BCLT

I'm sure those guys with expensive float setups are just dying to put food on the table, give me a break. I also didn't realize that coming from a certain culture was an excuse to ignore the fishing regulations.. Can you make up anymore excuses for these idiots?

I've phoned the TIPS line on more then one occasion and will continue to do so.

Edited by BillM

Hmm this seems shady to me....... a ton of sucker fishing eh. I dont know one guy who fishes a pin, or spin for bows who TARGETS suckers...... are you telling me that if you nailed a bow, or a brown you wouldnt reel it in?

Now I can agree with you about the cutting a hole in the fish for roe, that is brutality at its best......But Its rather convenient that this has been posted right after the lad who posted his bass! Ill tell ya man, I agree with you when it comes to poaching etc...... but sometimes you have to mind your own business..... are you a cop? are you a part of the ministry? As for the ministry there is a reason why they dont go to certain places where poaching is considered an everyday thing..... its because some cultures dont understand our laws and to them fish is food....... now have you ever tried to take food from a hungry dog? Not a pretty sight.... and its for this reason many COs dont go to these places........ why endanger themselves...if this wasnt the case they would be down at bronte all the time! Moving forward I see the ministry everywhere I go, and im out 5 days a week at least....... I have seen them at credit, bronte, hamilton harbour (laselle, pier 8, valley inn) Brantfords wilkes dam just to name a few............. You need to relax a little! Next your going to be asking people for the license lol

REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have got to be kidding me... condoning illegal activities at any level is not cool!

And a huge plus a million to what Bill said!

HH

is this a joke?

Me and a few buddies all fish Pins and we legitimately went out to target suckers a few times before opener. Of course only in open water. They're actually a lot of fun on the pin especially the bigger ones..

Also agree with what BillM said, coming from certain cultures doesn't mean the rules don't apply to them.

Do contact your MPP and the Minister of Natural Resources. Let them know exactly how frustrated you are and include your examples above.

CO's are run thin as it is. I think this is turtle poaching time too if I am not wrong.

Edited by Harrison

I can't say that I am up on the operations of the MNR, but I have a feeling that there is no money "to go anywhere" and they are under staffed. Have you visited a public school or hospital lately? IMO, everything is a mess and unfortunately the MNR is not a top priority.

Maybe they need to start a volunteer CO program or something.

on the other side of the coin... ive aquired the cell number of my local CO...theres only one... and i call him directly... hes usually at the scene in 20 minutes....one time it was 5 minutes tops...

there are good and bad people throughout the mnr im sure... in your case thats discusting.... i guess im lucky my CO cares

I saw a CO writting up a pair of guys fishing on the credit somwere this weekend. He ad is ticket book out and was pointing somethign out to tem in the regs. I am not sure what it was, as I was just driving past. All you can really do is cal it in. take a picture and mail it to the MnR. To my understanding the MnR focuses there efforts on areas where they are most likely to catch someone. If an area keeps getting calls then is may get checked next season.

I don't think I would support a volunteer CO setup. It would cost so much money to get up and running. What if te volunteers get shot or beat up, or start a fight. Not a good scenario. CO's have alot of powers, and this is not something I would want to give to a volunteer CO.

yes the mnr is out looking for turtle poachers right now seen them last friday !!! its a huge problem in the kawartha lakes area where i live !!! its not just all about trout ??/ so many miss informed people .... :wallbash::dunno:

You have to remember that they enforce the hunting regs too. In the past a couple of my buddies were CO's back when I worked for the Ministry. During the controlled deer hunt in the south all manpower was focused on that, you could have got away with murder with a rod in your hand, I expect the spring tukey season is drawing manpower away from fisheries enforcement as well. I would expect a guy with a gun would take priority over a fisherman when a call came in.