Hydro TOU Costs

Raf

I wanted to figure out exactly where my dollar is going and what the real cost of electricity per kWh is and thought some of you might find this interesting if you didn’t already know. I think some people see the TOU prices and think that is it – the actual cost per kWh is quite a bit higher when you add the per kWh Delivery, Regulatory & Debt charges.

I am with Hydro One, live in a rural area – classed as Low Density Residential and on a TOU meter.

Fixed monthly costs are as follows:

Delivery – Distribution Service Charge $31.11 / month

Regulatory – Standard Supply Service $0.25 / month

On top of that, we have a Sentinel light that costs about $20 / month for the rental / electricity / delivery / regulatory & debt charges.

Finally, there’s an adjustment factor of 1.092 – this means I get billed for 9.2% more kWh than what my meter says due to electricity “losses” before it even reaches my meter.

Here’s a breakdown of my “variable” per kWh costs:

Electricity (c / kWh Adjusted Usage)

Off-Peak – 6.2

Mid-Peak – 9.2

On-Peak – 10.8

To that we add

Delivery

Distribution Volume Charge – 3.6 c kWh (Metered Usage)

Transmission Connection Charge – 0.44 c kWh (Adjusted Usage)

Transmission Network – 0.574 c kWh (Adjusted Usage)

Regulatory

Market Service Rate – 0.52 c kWh (Adjusted Usage)

Rural Rate Protection – 0.13 c kWh (Adjusted Usage)

And finally

Debt Retirement – 0.7c kWh (Metered Usage)

All that equals (c/kWh Adjusted Usage)

Off-Peak – 11.8017

Mid-Peak – 14.8017

On-Peak – 16.4017

A Sample bill

Off-Peak: 500 kWh * 11.8017 c = $59.01 -- of that, $31 is for electricity used, the rest per kWh Delivery/Regulatory/Debt charges.

Mid-Peak: 160 kWh * 14.8017 c = $23.68 – of that, $14.72 is for electricity used, the rest per kWh Delivery/Regulatory/Debt charges.

On-Peak: 152 kWh * 16.4017 c = $24.93 – of that, $16.31 is for electricity used, the rest per kWh Delivery/Regulatory/Debt charges.

For a total of 812 kWh @ $107.62 - (of that 62.03 is electricity used, the rest per kWh Delivery/Regulatory/Debt charges) - which works out to an average per kWh cost of 13.25 cents.

To that we add the fixed costs of 31.36 / month

The HST of 13%

And Subtract 10% for the Ontario Clean Air Benefit and get a $141.34 Bill

I forgot the Sentinel Light.. $161.34

When you add it all up, about 50% of your bill goes to Delivery, Regulatory and Debt charges.

Edited by Raf

Believe it or not, I have recently joined the exclusive 'I pay my own Hydro' club. I feel like they should hand out membership cards and perhaps even a plaque.

I wanted to figure out exactly where my dollar is going and what the real cost of electricity per kWh is and thought some of you might find this interesting if you didn't already know. I think some people see the TOU prices and think that is it – the actual cost per kWh is quite a bit higher when you add the per kWh Delivery, Regulatory & Debt charges.

I am with Hydro One, live in a rural area – classed as Low Density Residential and on a TOU meter.

Fixed monthly costs are as follows:

Delivery – Distribution Service Charge $31.11 / month

Regulatory – Standard Supply Service $0.25 / month

On top of that, we have a Sentinel light that costs about $20 / month for the rental / electricity / delivery / regulatory & debt charges.

Finally, there's an adjustment factor of 1.092 – this means I get billed for 9.2% more kWh than what my meter says due to electricity "losses" before it even reaches my meter.

Here's a breakdown of my "variable" per kWh costs:

Electricity (c / kWh Adjusted Usage)

Off-Peak – 6.2

Mid-Peak – 9.2

On-Peak – 10.8

To that we add

Delivery

Distribution Volume Charge – 3.6 c kWh (Metered Usage)

Transmission Connection Charge – 0.44 c kWh (Adjusted Usage)

Transmission Network – 0.574 c kWh (Adjusted Usage)

Regulatory

Market Service Rate – 0.52 c kWh (Adjusted Usage)

Rural Rate Protection – 0.13 c kWh (Adjusted Usage)

And finally

Debt Retirement – 0.7c kWh (Metered Usage)

All that equals (c/kWh Adjusted Usage)

Off-Peak – 11.8017

Mid-Peak – 14.8017

On-Peak – 16.4017

A Sample bill

Off-Peak: 500 kWh * 11.8017 c = $59.01 -- of that, $31 is for electricity used.

Mid-Peak: 160 kWh * 14.8017 c = $23.68 – of that, $14.72 is for electricity used.

On-Peak: 152 kWh * 16.4017 c = $24.93 – of that, $16.31 is for electricity used.

For a total of 812 kWh @ $107.62 - which works out to an average per kWh cost of 13.25 cents.

To that we add the fixed costs of 31.36 / month

The HST of 13%

And Subtract 10% for the Ontario Clean Air Benefit and get a $141.34 Bill

I forgot the Sentinel Light.. $161.34

looks like you have a consumption problem

old appliances /lights?

detached home family of 4 hydro total bill even in summer with ac going never more than $80 on average about $65 a month

old appliances /lights?

detached home family of 4 hydro total bill even in summer with ac going never more than $80 on average about $65 a month

this isn't really a complain thread (it is what it is)

but yes, old appliances :), country farmhouse that sees a family of 3 24/7 and a family of 4 6-7 days / month. if you're in town (i am assuming) it's a little apples and oranges. we may have different needs (ie. i use electricity to run a well pump for 'free' water - you pay for water).

you are also likely classed as High Density Residential (ie. in town somewhere) which reduces your fixed monthly Delivery charge 50% (my bill is almost $40 before I even get a kWh from hydro) as well as a lower adjustment factor and you don't have a Sentinel Light.

Edited by Raf

I wish my bill was that low. I think I have to get a hydro audit done.

Oh, I also love how they make the bill so complicated that most people don't know what the heck they are paying for.

Edited by jimmer

old appliances /lights?

I say no way your hydro bill is that low, not if you live in Ontario, unless you have all non-electric appliances and water heater. Then you have to add in your propane costs.

I consider ourselves to be pretty low usage and my bills vary from $100 in summer (no AC) to maybe $130 in winter (wood heat, but more lights and TOU at peak during mornings and evenings). All our appliances are electric and the hot-water tank is by far the biggest draw. We try to keep laundry, showers, etc to off-peak times. I know lots of people whose hydro bills are in the $200 to $300 a month range so you must be doing something right.

Great news, Ontario has approved a TOU rate hike. :rolleyes:

The new rates (effective May 1st) will be:

Off-Peak - 6.2 + 0.3 = 6.5

Mid-Peak - 9.2 + 0.8 = 10

On-Peak - 10.8 + 0.9 = 11.7

Effectively, we'll be paying:

Off-Peak – 12.1017

Mid-Peak – 15.6017

On-Peak – 17.3017

Edited by Raf

my bill is on average $80 to the $110 range, but as a hydro employee i do know that hydro ones rates are def way higher then a city utility, ive compared my bill to a hydro ones bill with same consumption etc... and it is 1/3 more then mine? so much for the regulation portion? the rich get richer

Sorry.. but I'll call Bull on that as well! My daughters one bedroom garden apartments hydro bill is more than that and she's so cheap she has the heat set at 14C !

Sad that while consumption has always been regulated... nobody is watching the "supply" side of the bill. What use to be $16.95/month to have a line to your house + usage has now become usage being about 40% of the bill and delivery and debt recover/HST the other 60%.

Anyone is welcome to pay mine at between $575 and 680 / month! :wallbash:

Sorry.. but I'll call Bull on that as well! My daughters one bedroom garden apartments hydro bill is more than that and she's so cheap she has the heat set at 14C !

Sad that while consumption has always been regulated... nobody is watching the "supply" side of the bill. What use to be $16.95/month to have a line to your house + usage has now become usage being about 40% of the bill and delivery and debt recover/HST the other 60%.

Anyone is welcome to pay mine at between $575 and 680 / month! :wallbash:

Yeah, but you make it all back when you sell off all the weed you're growing!!! :blink:

We'll I'll be squeekier than her, 3 bedroom house/basement separate garage, wife and I.

Nov-Dec $75.80 Dec-Jan $90.87(longer billing period) Jan-Feb $76.43 Feb-Mar $74.92 And the truck is on a 4 hour timer for the block heater in winter. Summer amounts are slightly less.

Gas furnace, hot water, dryer, and garage heater. Energy efficient clothes washer, induction top stove. We are not on TOU yet

The sad truth is we still aren't paying the true cost of electricity. During the 70's 80's and most of the 90's Ontario gave away power to manufacturers at less than cost. That is why we all now get to enjoy paying the debt retirement charge with COMPOUND interest. Between the COMPOUND interest and the fact that 90% of the companies who racked up that debt have moved manufacturing off shore the remaining customers are getting screwed and not kissed.

What is especially sickening is the debt was "said" to be 7.8 billion and the charges have generated an estimated 8.7 Billion in revenue, however the government estimates that debt will not be retired until at least 2015 or as far out as 2018. It will probably take longer with the "10%" off we get now... I would rather pay 10% more now than the compound interest "another" loan.

Of course we will never know the truth about what it actually costs vs what we pay as no government could survive after letting us know.

• 1 year later...

Seeing as two people called Bull on skeeters claims, I figured I'd chime in.

Our hydro bill is $75-80/month in the winter and $90 or so in the summer. The furnace and water heater are gas with everything else being electric. We have our fridge and freezer set very cold, chest freezer even colder, furnace (electric fan) at 20c, use a block heater all winter, have two big tv's, window shaker AC set at 19c, and the dryer gets a lot of use with using cloth diapers for the 10 month old.

Gas ranges from $30-35 (near minimum) in the warm months to $70 in the winter.

Having a very well insulated home with newer appliances saves a ton of cash. Before doing the energy upgrades 4 years ago during the home energy audit program (which I made a profit after doing all the work!) our hydro was $120-130 a month in the summer and gas was $110-120 during the winter. Gotta love earning money to make your home more efficient ;)

Our hydro bill has averaged $80 in winter, $120 in summer. The discrepancy, by season, is simple. Summer time sees a lot of food processing and canning. That means more kitchen usage and heavier demand on the A/C.

Some folks I know have lower bills than I do. It's all about efficient usage.

What I would like to know is why we are paying HST on debt retirement.

This is a loan for services that were built.

It the time, all taxes were included in the loan, same as a car loan.

You don't pay tax on a loan payment, so why are we paying tax on a loan that was already taxed.

Dalton was asked this a few years ago and bypassed the question

I sent my MPP an email asking and I was ignored.

Why are we paying tax on something that was already taxed.

My last bill. For 29 days

Service Type is Residential - Medium Density

Used 780 kWh

Total of my electricity charges = $150.69

150.69 / 780 = 19.3 cents per kWh

My 'all costs included' price (includes electricity,debt charge, delivery, reg charges, and the OCEB credit) is 19.3 cents per kWh for this billing period.

Family of 4 in 1150 sq foot cottage-house, and we do everything we can to save electricity. Last bill was $182.91.

some of your bill must go to help fund these guys going ice fishing for the weekend too

100_2880_zps440f1e0e.jpg

I wasn't going to post this, but I just opened my hydro bill and had a change of heart

It's fine to post it, but I would also make an inquiry as to wether that truck was there servicing lines on an island, or in the bush somewhere on company owned sleds, or if they where indeed misusing company property. It is pretty common for a utility to use ATV's or sleds to access lines in areas that are remote or inaccessible any other way. If the vehicle is not being used for company business, that is really ballsy and they need to be dealt with anyway!

It's fine to post it, but I would also make an inquiry as to wether that truck was there servicing lines on an island, or in the bush somewhere on company owned sleds, or if they where indeed misusing company property. It is pretty common for a utility to use ATV's or sleds to access lines in areas that are remote or inaccessible any other way. If the vehicle is not being used for company business, that is really ballsy and they need to be dealt with anyway!

good point, but no,

my cottage is right there and I can see the parking area and lake from my front windows- I watched them go out and set up, they were there 2 consecutive days, and unless they were trying to hook a submerged cable with 8 lb test, they were ice fishing

Edited by chris.brock

some of your bill must go to help fund these guys going ice fishing for the weekend too

100_2880_zps440f1e0e.jpg

I wasn't going to post this, but I just opened my hydro bill and had a change of heart

Before you tar and feather him keep in mind he could have been on-call during that time (as in, carries a phone and can get called in at any tiem to deal with trouble calls or emergencies), in which case he'd be driving a hydro vehicle wherever he goes. I am not 100% sure, but believe that's common practice.

Before you tar and feather him keep in mind he could have been on-call during that time (as in, carries a phone and can get called in at any tiem to deal with trouble calls or emergencies), in which case he'd be driving a hydro vehicle wherever he goes. I am not 100% sure, but believe that's common practice.

Common practice for the guys that service our printing equipment. The night crew and weekend crew are pretty much strictly on call. A service technician once told me he didn't think his son had ever been driven to the arena for his hockey in his own vehichle as he is on call every other weekend and takes the work van.