Cottage dishwasher

captpierre

Hey Guys.

I need to replace a dishwasher at the cottage. Are any less troublesome than others?

I will be shutting the cottage down in the winter and will have winterize it. Are some harder to do that?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ge Profile dishwashers are a good bang for the buck. Easy to repair, and parts are available for a long time.

In my kitchen, all GE Profile, In my laundry room GE front loading Magellans. Of the North Americain makes, you cant go wrong with GE. Stay away from Bosh, Asko, Miele, Haier. Whirlpool Kichen Aid where good bets at one time, not so much now, and Maytag is no longer Maytag. They are whirlpools with a Maytag name plate on it.

Thanks Mercman. I appreciate your input.

Very confusing for us consumers. Consumer Reports rates the Bosch machines the best and GE doesn't even show up in the top

50 according to them.

I don't mind paying extra for greater reliability but would hate to do so for a problem machine

Thanks Mercman. I appreciate your input.

Very confusing for us consumers. Consumer Reports rates the Bosch machines the best and GE doesn't even show up in the top

50 according to them.

I don't mind paying extra for greater reliability but would hate to do so for a problem machine

You have to look at after sales service when buying appliances.Bosh has a very limited service network, as do Asko,Miele, and Haier. You may have only one tech within 100 miles who is able to repair them, and yes, like all appliances they most definately do break down. Oh, forgot Fisher Paykal. Hardly anyone works on those machines, and getting parts is a pain in the asshat.gif

Or you can ask Wayne if he will lend Terry to you on a rotation schedule to do your dishes for you.whistling.gif The older models are the best.rofl2.gif

I'd be looking into what auto dishwasher soaps do to a septic system as opposed to non-phosphate hand washing soap.

If your septic field is up to code and working correctly the soaps and bleaches you use day to day will have no negative impact. If you want to be proactive feel free to add 1 pack of bakers yeast every 6 months to the toilet bowl and flush it down.

As far as a dishwasher the unit that is sold locally and serviced in cottage country would be your most likely choice. You can also get a cheap unit and just consider it disposable if you are way back in cottage country too.

Art

I'd be looking into what auto dishwasher soaps do to a septic system as opposed to non-phosphate hand washing soap.

A few years ago, this would have been a big concern, but today with phosphate free detergents, and the up coming total ban on phoshates, not so much.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

call me a northern boy but what the hell do you need a dishwasher at the cottage for?

i guess that's why we call them "camps" up here. too much!

:tease:

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

While I haven't checked the side of the box of soap for dishwashers lately, I was never enthused by the list of chemicals that threatened to end the anaerobic action of the septic tank,which would result in clogging the leaching pipes (and their aerobic action)and some heavy duty replacement/refurbishment costs, or a holding tank (YIIKES)if ground was old and saturated.

However, a dishwasher has many positive aspects, even at the camp.

-you can wash dishes at a time when the hydro rates are at a lower cost per KWH through an automatic setting.

-thorough washing and drying in a machine cuts down on the possibility of the 'runs' (G.I. distress)that might result through use of dirty rags and towels used in hand washing.(I know two hospitals that lost accreditation for such practices)

-you can store dirty dishes to wash later in a large batch so that wear and tear is spread out amongst your whole collection as opposed to using the same ones over and over again. Consider how many times the average dish goes through hot and cold cycles through a microwave, gets chipped, cracked and other stresses.

Might be time to have another look if the soap is improved as much as others say it has.

My sister-in-law (our real-estate agent) bought us a Kirkland "Signature " (Costco) dishwasher when we moved in here...sez on the front that it was manufactured by GE...No problem for close to nine years ...

Don't know what $ she paid but I would imagine it was not too expensive...dunno.gif

My sister-in-law (our real-estate agent) bought us a Kirkland "Signature " (Costco) dishwasher when we moved in here...sez on the front that it was manufactured by GE...No problem for close to nine years ...

Don't know what $ she paid but I would imagine it was not too expensive...dunno.gif

Good inexpensive and dependable. Appliances are becoming like "FASHIONS" People buy them cause they look good or expensive, not because they work well and are dependable.

A Miele appliance is hard to beat in my books. If you buy new, they offer 10 year free warranty at the moment. I'm sure that ain't for no reason either.

If you don't want to break the bank, keep an eye out on this site every thursday for scratch and dent inventory:

http://www.mieleunboxed.ca/ click on inventory list for a list of all their scratch and dent inventory. Discounts range from 25-45% off dependent on the amount of damage. Located at 410/Steeles.