Cottage dishwasher

captpierre

My only real concern is that independent repairers can't get parts and technical information as easily for the German washing machines. This means its unlikely that you'll find a competent independent repairer. I would advise that if investing in a Miele washing machine, you need to be prepared to use Miele's own engineers or dealers for any future repairs. Miele's engineers don't charge more than many other manufacturers - it's just that independent engineers (if you can find a good one) usually charge a lot less.Of course parts are likely to be expensive too because they are high quality parts though even accounting for the quality it's hard to justify some of the prices of some spare parts, which franky can be astounding (eg. 800 for a motor, 300 for a pump). The idea though is that breakdowns should be far fewer, and overall, over a long period, the cost of owning and maintaining a Miele should be cheaper than buying cheap washing machines. However: Miele currently have really long guarantees that reflect their confidence in the quality - although these guarantees swap and change all the time because Miele use them for promotion instead of price cutting.

Miele washing machines have historically scored very highly on reliability and longevity but don't quite get full marks for ease of repairability. This is because although they are perfectly repairable, and in fact less likely than most to need repairing, because of a lack of good technical information and trade discount on spares to the independent trade most independent repairers don't repair Miele washing machines.

This means most people are likely to be forced into using Miele engineers for any maintenance. On the one hand, with such a high quality product you could argue that a fully trained Miele engineer is best - but not having the option to get your local trusted repairman in (if you have one) is potentially a disadvantage.

In summary, getting a Miele appliance repaired should be a rare requirement but if needed you would be better off calling Miele themselves, which is likely to be more expensive than a local repairman. In a way this is not too dissimilar to using a dealer instead of a local garage with a new car. It's not a problem if you prefer to use dealers anyway.

My advice would be that if investing in a Miele washing machine, you really need to be prepared to use Miele engineers for any future repairs. There is anecdotal evidence that some Miele customers (hopefully a small minority) are scrapping their appliances after a disappointingly short life because they are being quoted extremely high repair prices.

Everyone is proud of thier appliances. Check product reviews positive and negative, before you buy.

I could end up on Mod Que after this, but what the heck.

Luckily, I've been married to a reliable dishwasher for over 20 years.

Now, having said that, she used to make my lunch every day until she heard me say something similar to the following (about 19 years ago).

Ever wonder why they allowed women into the Space Program? On average they weigh 20 pounds less than a mechanical dishwasher.

Now, I'm probably in trouble again. It's one of those, you are who you were when, things. I know it's not how I feel about it now, it's not politicaly correct, but back in the day, I found this funny ( still do probably due to it's politicaly incorrectness).

Sorry.

Edited by nofish4me

My only real concern is that independent repairers can't get parts and technical information as easily for the German washing machines. This means its unlikely that you'll find a competent independent repairer. I would advise that if investing in a Miele washing machine, you need to be prepared to use Miele's own engineers or dealers for any future repairs. Miele's engineers don't charge more than many other manufacturers - it's just that independent engineers (if you can find a good one) usually charge a lot less.Of course parts are likely to be expensive too because they are high quality parts though even accounting for the quality it's hard to justify some of the prices of some spare parts, which franky can be astounding (eg. 800 for a motor, 300 for a pump). The idea though is that breakdowns should be far fewer, and overall, over a long period, the cost of owning and maintaining a Miele should be cheaper than buying cheap washing machines. However: Miele currently have really long guarantees that reflect their confidence in the quality - although these guarantees swap and change all the time because Miele use them for promotion instead of price cutting.

Miele washing machines have historically scored very highly on reliability and longevity but don't quite get full marks for ease of repairability. This is because although they are perfectly repairable, and in fact less likely than most to need repairing, because of a lack of good technical information and trade discount on spares to the independent trade most independent repairers don't repair Miele washing machines.

This means most people are likely to be forced into using Miele engineers for any maintenance. On the one hand, with such a high quality product you could argue that a fully trained Miele engineer is best - but not having the option to get your local trusted repairman in (if you have one) is potentially a disadvantage.

In summary, getting a Miele appliance repaired should be a rare requirement but if needed you would be better off calling Miele themselves, which is likely to be more expensive than a local repairman. In a way this is not too dissimilar to using a dealer instead of a local garage with a new car. It's not a problem if you prefer to use dealers anyway.

My advice would be that if investing in a Miele washing machine, you really need to be prepared to use Miele engineers for any future repairs. There is anecdotal evidence that some Miele customers (hopefully a small minority) are scrapping their appliances after a disappointingly short life because they are being quoted extremely high repair prices.

Everyone is proud of thier appliances. Check product reviews positive and negative, before you buy.

Thanks again Mercman and everybody else.

We have decided to purchase a machine likely from Sears since they have a store in Peterborough (20 min south of cottage) Still not sure which. The GE Profile machine is almost as expensive as a Miele. 50% more than the Bosch we were looking at. Kitchen Aids are also over a Grand. We were wondering if we buy a Bosch from Sears -shouldn't they be able to service it 20 min away?

The last one I bought was on a Saturday, because ours broke. Motor burnt up. I called the local appliance guy and he said he'd get me a new motor for about $150.

Told the wife she'd be without for a couple of days or we could buy a new one.

We went to Sears Clearance and bought one for not much more than twice the price of the motor and it's been running fine for the last 5 years.

When the wifes happy, it's a happy house. Hahaha

If you are going to spend $1200 to $2000 on a dishwasher, I hope your COTTAGE looks at least like this one.

painted-cottage.jpg

Edited by nofish4me

Thanks again Mercman and everybody else.

We have decided to purchase a machine likely from Sears since they have a store in Peterborough (20 min south of cottage) Still not sure which. The GE Profile machine is almost as expensive as a Miele. 50% more than the Bosch we were looking at. Kitchen Aids are also over a Grand. We were wondering if we buy a Bosch from Sears -shouldn't they be able to service it 20 min away?

Bosh is far better as far as serviceing goes.Parts are readily available to all techs,however, not all techs will work on them, but good news is, most will.

Personally, given the choice, i would still buy Ge Profile anyday. But thats just me, knowing what i know.whistling.gif

Mercman: not sure why your referring to them as "Miele engineers"? They are Miele techs.

captpierre: If you want a quality appliance, keep an eye out on that link I provided to you and be patient. I took home my dishwasher, washing machine, and gas dryer all for 45% off which makes it comparable in price to all the other junk brands they sell these days which are made to last max 8 years. The dishwasher was stainless and cost me 800$ tax in if I remember correctly. The warranty on the scratch and dent stuff is 1 year. You would never know its a scratch and dent appliance either and yes I am picky.

I had to use a Miele tech once when my dryer exhaust outlet disconnected behind the wall and made the dryer shut off after only a short period of drying (safety feature). It was a simple reset on the dryer which I was not charged for, but could have been. I am brutal for interrogating people who are in the know and I asked him about all my appliances and he did mention that you will get a really long life out of all of them. He recommended not using any dishwasher washing tabs with gel in them as they will eat away the seals. Aside from that he said the dishwashers are bullet proof. I was also told by the person who sold me my dishwasher that she recently had a customer who just bought a dishwasher from her solely because of aesthetics as she got sick of looking at the 20 year old Miele dishwasher she had which has not had a single problem since being purchased.

If you are considering one, then call up Miele and see if they have tech's that will come out to your cottage incase maintenance is needed. I know when the tech was at my house he mentioned to me that he does do service calls to cottages in Muskoka mainly for dryers where wild life has entered through the exhaust outlet.

Sorry F4E, i wasnt trying to insult your appliances.I was just speaking from my experience in the service and parts end of the bussiness. I have no doubt yours are great, i personally would never buy one for the reasons stated earlier.

Sorry F4E, i wasnt trying to insult your appliances.I was just speaking from my experience in the service and parts end of the bussiness. I have no doubt yours are great, i personally would never buy one for the reasons stated earlier.

You didn't insult me at all, just expressing your opinion and experiences in your area. Nothing wrong with that.

When I required service I figured if I called an independent tech they would hose me just like Miele would and not to mention chances are they don't know as much as a Miele tech does. Being nice to the tech went a long way for me as I didn't get charged anything even though my warranty was up.

You didn't insult me at all, just expressing your opinion and experiences in your area. Nothing wrong with that.

When I required service I figured if I called an independent tech they would hose me just like Miele would and not to mention chances are they don't know as much as a Miele tech does. Being nice to the tech went a long way for me as I didn't get charged anything even though my warranty was up.

Here is a little info that some may not be aware of.An independant tech is as knowledgeable as any manufacturers authorized tech.Most of these authorized techs started out in the bussiness repairing other brands.

The authorized tech will show up with parts representing the possible causes of the problem.he will then change each part until he finds the cause, re pack the other parts and return them.He is not responsible for the other parts, he is backed by the manufacturer, who assumes responsibility.

An independant IS responsible for every part he buys.If it is not the cause of the problem, he is stuck with the part. His job is to understand the appliance and know how the parts affect each others operation.

If technical info was available to him, he would be just as, or better, informed as an authorized tech, and a whole lot less expensive in the long run.

Enjoy the new appliance Capt. Let me know what you end up buyingclapping.gif

I agree mercman, if you had someone come in that is honest. If their not, the independent tech can just say you needed this, this and this to fix the problem and charge you for all just like the authorized one would. The reason you have him there in the first place is because you don't know how to resolve the issue on your own so its not like you can call him up on it if you think your being charged for too many parts. If you do, they are prepared to tell you what you want to hear. Not to many honest people around these days. Certainly not in my area.

I like to do some digging on the internet and try to fix things myself prior to calling a tech. I could have reset my dryer on my own but I kept hitting the wrong button :wallbash:. They handle you differently when they see you have some knowledge. Should of seen the look on his face when I said the name of the sensor to reset.

I agree mercman, if you had someone come in that is honest. If their not, the independent tech can just say you needed this, this and this to fix the problem and charge you for all just like the authorized one would. The reason you have him there in the first place is because you don't know how to resolve the issue on your own so its not like you can call him up on it if you think your being charged for too many parts. If you do, they are prepared to tell you what you want to hear. Not to many honest people around these days. Certainly not in my area.

I like to do some digging on the internet and try to fix things myself prior to calling a tech. I could have reset my dryer on my own but I kept hitting the wrong button wallbash.gif. They handle you differently when they see you have some knowledge. Should of seen the look on his face when I said the name of the sensor to reset.

I hear ya !!!clapping.gif

Thats not the norm though.I have 60-70 repair tech customers, and i know them well.There are 4-5 who i would never let into my house.The rest all get recomendations from my staff when asked by customers for techs.

If you ever need a recomendation Drop me a line. I have contacts all over.

Paul

note to self

anytime Wayne takes a picture of you it will come back to bite you on the ass every time

Although the "dishwashers" in the pic Wayne posted performed their jobs effectively, one could here the whining a moaning coming from them...

HH

Although the "dishwashers" in the pic Wayne posted performed their jobs effectively, one could here the whining a moaning coming from them...

HH

ALLWAYS BEHAVE in a manner that a PIC from Wayne will not or can not Compromise your seleve ... TUTUS , PINK GLOVES , etc. .. need I say more , will allways come back to haunt ya ... When in doubt HIDE ,find a quiet spot to sleep it off , if you dont Wayne may /will catch you on camera ... Advise from the wise .. or the DAMN I GOT CAUGHT >>> lmao