Fiddle heads

misfish

Don't forget wild turkey and your fish of choice :whistling:

What do you do with the nettle?

Fiddleheads are just starting to poke up around here, Brian. Another week or so and you should be able to find some. I find the fiddleheads are ready when the smelts run.

S.

I only eat the stinging nettles when they are less than 2 inches. Always boil them in water first. "Stinging nettle has a flavour similar to spinach when cooked and is rich in vitamins A, C, iron, potassium, manganese, and calcium." wiki

I only eat the stinging nettles when they are less than 2 inches. Always boil them in water first. "Stinging nettle has a flavour similar to spinach when cooked and is rich in vitamins A, C, iron, potassium, manganese, and calcium." wiki

Interesting. I've never heard of that before.

I know a few good nettle patches that i owe revenge on! I might have to check it out!

S.

Brian I checked my garden...my asparagus is just poking through the ground now. Generally that means 3-4 days until harvest so I would say go fiddlehead hunting this weekend or early next week.

I walked alot this morning. They are not even close here.Another week forsure.

Brian, watch for dandelions in your area.... when they're out... time to go hunting for fiddles and wild garlic aka in french ail des bois :D

You have a pic of this wild garlic?

I,ll be out for another walk aswell MJL. ;)

I just tied some very delisous roe,just for the occasion. :worthy:

Edited by Misfish

I hope to be able to find some puffballs!

Keep your eye out for black morels. In the past fiddleheads, morels and brook trout would all be found/caught at the same time.(last week of April, first couple of weeks May). Had many a delicious meal of these wild foods combined on plate. Sometimes would catch crappie around same time as well.

You have a pic of this wild garlic?....

Here's a pic Brian

84004.jpg

You'll find them near cricks and where shade is abundant.... like I said, when the dandelions are out, those will be out as well as the fiddles :)

Edited by Leechman

I walked alot this morning. They are not even close here.Another week forsure.

Brian the advice I gave you was based on a typical spring...this is not it. I checked my asparagus again this afternoon. It has not grown at all. Usually when it is ready to go it grows 1-2 inches a day. But typically that is the end of April/First of May and the daytime highs are 16-24 and overnight lows are 6-10. Right now we are getting single digits for highs and below freezing for lows...so it will slow things down for sure.

• 2 weeks later...