Fiddle heads

misfish

Been out walking the river, and have yet to see any. If you see them starting to pop up,please update. Missed out last year.

Thanks

Also to add,if theres anyone in my area that cares to show the art of wild mushrooms,I am more then willing to learn.

Edited by Misfish

Picked lots of fiddle heads near your area a couple years ago... Some real nice ones by the river. Once the frost is completely gone, they'll sprout like weeds.

I used to get some real nice blackberries out that way too, albeit in late summer.

Can't wait for the f-heads to sprout up here! Smelt and greens go well together.

Hey Brian

I was in your neck of the woods on Sunday evening doing some "walking" myself...Didn't see any fiddle heads yet either.

Bugger,I was out sunday morning. Hit some silvers,nothing to write home about,,,,,,,,,,,,You becareful where you tread. :sarcasm::P:rofl2:

I've found over the years that they're typically at their peak around the trout opener Brian, but this year has been anything but typical.

My buddy who harvests them big time on our Brookie creek (his back yard) has not seen any yet, as of today.

Nothin up my way yet. When I came to look at the house last fall before we bought it, there was ferns everywhere. Lots of prime fiddle head habitat up here. More then I'll be able to eat! I'll be sure to drop you a line once I notice anything. And trust me, I've been watching for them :thumbsup_anim:

Nothin up my way yet. When I came to look at the house last fall before we bought it, there was ferns everywhere. Lots of prime fiddle head habitat up here. More then I'll be able to eat!

lucky bugger.

If you were thinking about freezing some, don't bother ... from my experience they don't keep well at all. They just turn to a dark-green/brownish mush.stretcher.gif

If you plan to keep fiddleheads, the best bet is to blanch them, bottle them with the water you blanched with, top up with water, salt then boil the bottles. I can't wait to pick up my bottles while home on vacation to NB in June.

To serve... Bring the fiddleheads to a boil, cover and turn the burner off and serve in about 5 mins or so. Generously drown with butter and add salt, pepper and/or vinegar - as desired. Best served with Atlantic Salmon or speckled trout. :)

Lots of wild edibles starting this month up until May.

Stinging Nettle, Fiddleheads, Black and Yellow Morel mushroom, wild leaks.

Don't forget wild turkey and your fish of choice :whistling:

What do you do with the nettle?

Fiddleheads are just starting to poke up around here, Brian. Another week or so and you should be able to find some. I find the fiddleheads are ready when the smelts run.

S.

Last year was my first year of dedicated foraging. I recall picking the best amount/quality of fiddleheads right after turkey opened, so start of May. This year probably earlier. It's a small window of opportunity so I should check out my spots. I found wild leeks last year and used some in the turkey stuffing. I was skunked on morels though. I know what they look like but cant seem to find them.

Last year was my first year of dedicated foraging. I recall picking the best amount/quality of fiddleheads right after turkey opened, so start of May. This year probably earlier. It's a small window of opportunity so I should check out my spots. I found wild leeks last year and used some in the turkey stuffing. I was skunked on morels though. I know what they look like but cant seem to find them.

When/if you find morels, keep your lips sealed. They tend to show up in the same places every year.

S.

I hope to be able to find some puffballs!

You may find the odd rare one in the spring, puffballs are a fall item.

Found some massive puffballs near Barrie (Egbert) around the month of june. I'm talking watermelon size... Looked like an alien ship in a field. Sure made for nice steaks!

Never heard of someone eating 'em before. :dunno: