Fiddle heads

misfish

They seem to be small around here too, Brian. They are starting though. Should be good this weekend for sure. I'll be out getting my share. I never miss my brook trout with a side of fiddle heads in the spring!!

S.

They seem to be small around here too, Brian. They are starting though. Should be good this weekend for sure. I'll be out getting my share. I never miss my brook trout with a side of fiddle heads in the spring!!

S.

I remember them being atleast quarter size or bigger. I did see some breaking through some sand banks that were bigger. Still havent found this wild garlic. This weekend will be a fish and fiddle adventure. :canadian:

Edited by Misfish

Steam them for about 4-5 minutes, add a very light dusting of garlic powder and a plop of butter, no damm margerine.

Oh and make sure they are real fiddleheads not the other variety called Braken Ferns.

Edited by Fisherman

I see fiddle heads every year, and never thought they where edible. Sorry if I'm starting a side post here, but what is the best way to cook them? Thanks.

Daniel

The fiddle heads or baby ferns are delicious when fried in butter and flavoured with salt and pepper.

When they are close to the ground they are best. Either pull them by hand or cut them with a knife.

The taller they get the tougher they get.

Never picked them before, I think I will take my daughter tonight. So you want them closer to the ground and covered in brown for the ideal harvest?

They don't need to be covered in the brown sheath. As long as the "fiddle" is tightly wrapped, they are good to go. Just pinch them lightly with your finger and thumb..if the "fiddle" is firm... it's good! I've picked them from half and inch to 1.5 feet off the ground...some of them grow incredibly tall and quick.

Just remember they grow in bundles of 6 or 7 for each plant, so only pick 2 or 3 from each to ensure the plant stays alive. Use a knife, it'll cause much less bruising.

Also, don't bother freezing them, I'm sure there is a way to make them taste ok, but you won't get the true charm of their flavor once they hit the freezer. Just my opinion of course.

Steam them for about 4-5 minutes, add a very light dusting of garlic powder and a plop of butter, no damm margerine.

Oh and make sure they are real fiddleheads not the other variety called Braken Ferns.

The fiddle heads or baby ferns are delicious when fried in butter and flavoured with salt and pepper.

When they are close to the ground they are best. Either pull them by hand or cut them with a knife.

The taller they get the tougher they get.

Butter pepper and white vinegar

Cool thanks for the fast replies. Gonna go out and look for them tomorrow.

I picked a few on the weekend, most aren't out yet though (Oakville), this weekend should be good down here

I like to drizzle balsamic vinegar and olive oil on them, shake them around abit, and put them right on the BBQ grill for a short time, taste better than boiled or steamed in my opinion

I picked a few on the weekend, most aren't out yet though (Oakville), this weekend should be good down here

I like to drizzle balsamic vinegar and olive oil on them, shake them around abit, and put them right on the BBQ grill for a short time, taste better than boiled or steamed in my opinion

I have tried them boiled and steamed and am really not a fan. But this sounds worth a try to me. Thx for sharing that :thumbsup_anim:

For sure make certain you are getting the Ostrich Ferns for your fiddleheads, the ones that grow along the creeks, not the Brakens that are found on higher ground. Braken ferns are actually poisonous and a known carcinogen.

Picked my first of the year yesterday. They were tasty. Few and far between though. Most of the root clumps dont have any new growth on them. I steam them for 10 minutes if eating fresh. Otherwise if storing I blanche them for 2 minutes, freeze them and when cooking steam for maybe 5 minutes. I read in a number of places not to eat them uncooked. I dont like the look of the water I steam/boil them in, tannin or something.

This was in today's media:

Fiddleheads are one of nature's earliest gifts for those who love the edible shoots of the ostrich fern. But it's best to be safe when preparing the young sprouts -- which look like the curled heads of miniature violins -- to avoid getting sick.

Fiddleheads are collected along the banks of rivers and streams and sold as a seasonal vegetable at farmers markets, roadside stands and in some grocery stores.

Fresh fiddleheads must be cooked properly and should never be eaten raw. There have been cases of temporary illness in Canada and the United States associated with eating raw or undercooked fiddleheads. Studies so far have not determined the cause of these illnesses, Health Canada says in a release.

Prior to cooking, the agency recommends removing as much of the brown husk as possible from the fiddleheads. Fresh fiddleheads should then be washed in several changes of clean cold water. Cook them in boiling water for 15 minutes or steam them for 10 to 12 minutes. The water used for boiling or steaming fiddleheads should be discarded.

Fiddleheads should also be boiled or steamed prior to sauteing, frying or baking.

Due to their short growing season, many people freeze fiddleheads. Be sure to use the same cooking methods when preparing fiddleheads that have been frozen.

Preserving fiddleheads with a pressure canner is not recommended, as safe process times have not been established for home-preserved fiddleheads.

Symptoms of illness usually begin 30 minutes to 12 hours after eating raw or undercooked fiddleheads and may include diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps and headaches, Health Canada says. Illness generally lasts less than 24 hours but can result in dehydration, particularly among the elderly and in infants. There have been no reported cases of illness associated with eating fully cooked fiddleheads.

Anyone experiencing symptoms after eating fiddleheads should consult a health-care professional and contact their local public health unit.

HI gUYS,

Never done it before but was encouraged by your posts and went searching for fiddleheads today along the local river. Much to my own surprise I found them...just to make sure I didn't pick the wrong ones (some one said there are some types that are bad and cancerogen). So here are few shots of what I picked up...would appreciate someone more experienced to confirm they are the "good ones". There were many of them in different stages of growth....left 2-3 per each old plant so they can still sustain themselves. What would be best way to cook them or should I try different ways?

Here are the shots:

WP_000160.jpg

WP_000161.jpg

WP_000163.jpg

WP_000165.jpg

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

The ostrich fern has a grooved stem. Your photos look like the right kind. I picked some Saturday. Still more to go but some are already too far grown. I like to pick them right when they are just starting at the root clump.