Anyone else getting stressed out

misfish

Not sure if I can take this stress much longer. What happen to the crash in the market? Like, we have been stupid crazy supplying auto parts to our customers,and we got even more knocking at our doors everyday. Honestly,more then we can handle right now,but they say ,oh yeah,we can do it,we have great people working for us. Ya, you may have great people,BUT FOR HOW LONG? You can only work for so long,24/7 and you start to get burned out.You cant bring in temps and expect them to do what people have been doing for years. I love what I do,but it,s getting stupid crazy like I said. They bring in a guy to help me. Lets just say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, nothing.I would sooner have my one year old grandchild work with me. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: If Culp reads this,,,,,,,,,,,,,, LOL

Im already working a 4:30 am to when ever shift.Others as well, and they ,are getting pissed.

My wifes job is no dif. Can you work early,or stay longer.

What the hell is going on?????????????

Is this the way of the 20th ?

If this keeps up,ya all better keep an eye on the classifieds. I,ll have no time for fishing. AGAIN :wallbash: NOT B)

Nothing wrong with the job Brian , the stress come's from not having enought good things going on in the personel life after work and the time to do so . Becareful if your reaching 40 .Things are out of balance and need to be equalized if you get what i mean , i had the same burn out many years ago and had to take control . I did quit my job in 1990 .

Edited by Skipper " D "

I should of listen to my old boss.He would say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Brian,you dont want to do that,just do what you do and they wont expect more from you. Me being a "want to be better guy" would take on more (at an older age). Guess Im paying for it now.Then again,theres a few guys that are way ahead of my knowledge,and do as they please,cause they are already set for life.They tell me to step back,but Im not in the same boat they are.

I'm involved in the printing ink industry and it is dead slow,plants moving to the states,existing manufactures with layoffs and a shortened work week. Where I used to be able to write my own cheque,now fumbling to get 4-5 days a week.I guess somewhere in the middle would be ideal.Hang in there it can only get better.

Edited by davey buoy

Somehow you have to work things out before you have a break down of some sort. Speak to your boss and tell him how you feel and that you can't keep working the long hours that you are now working. It sounds as though what your doing is in high demand so if your boss won't help you out you may have to move to another shop. Best of luck!

It sounds like you made your own bed Brian.

I was on the same road 4-5 years ago. Then like a light switch something clicked in my head and I said to myself I will not do this silliness anymore.

If you wanna stop or cut down all you have to say to the boss is I'll do my fair share...but I physically can't take this pace anymore. If you are a good employee and have a decent boss that will be all it takes.

After I told my boss how I felt things didn't change immediately...but 4-5 years later he knows to ask the other lads first for overtime and they usually take it. So now when we are crazy busy I get 8-10 hours of overtime a week instead of 20+...and everyone is happier.

Learning how and when to say enough is enough is the best gift I ever gave myself.

The fish within 1-2 hours of my house however aren't real happy with me being at work less :whistling: Sucks to be them somedays :D

Edit..We are now talking to Victoria's Secrets to print magazines/catalogues..whatever. I just might have to take some extra OT for that..you know...just to make extra sure our print quality is good :angel:

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Misfish, I hear you. There is no happy medium. We have a machine shop and the last four years have been brutally slow. Right now we are so busy we are behind that it causes me stress figuring who to screw the least in terms of delivery. Everybody wants everything in two/three weeks. We are booked four weeks out. In the end we take it and work evenings/weekends because you just never know when the work will dry up. I am pretty sure you guys are faced with the scenario as me not being able to hire anybody. Nobody wants to be a machinist anymore. Anyways, be happy that there is work, as there are no guarantees in what we do tomorrow. Hang in there!

I have a gov't job. I love what I do. If I say this I get nailed for being an ungrateful public servant.

Untrained, unexperienced temps to fill holes in budget cuts have ben the norm for years. You do what you can so that you can leave work and hold your head high and leave the rest to the powers that made this mess. People get ticked at the bad service and blame unions for making the mess.

Before I get jumped on, there is something to be said about being grateful for the job tho and putting in the extra time/effort, (and I do despite my kids asking this very night why I can't be home more) Remember, you will only be missed as long as it would take for the water to fill the whole if you pull your fist out of a bucket of water (did I get that saying right?).

Skipper D is onto something there. Your priorities will shift and something else will come along. You sound like a guy who would be able to find other work because of your work ethic if your priorities forced it.

Hang in there. I am.

We've been rocking at my shop since August too. The thing is so many shops closed up 4 years ago that the few places left just can't handle the work right now. I'm in the position of running the machine that is the bottle neck at my work right now. :( King salmon is right about no one wanting to do machining. A good apprentice is hard to come by and when we get one we can't pay them enough to keep them around. We get the odd temp but its like going backwards when you have to babysit someone all day. I'll take the extra work right now though. We did workshare for a year at my work that was waaaaay worse.

The amount of prototypes and quoting of parts we have been doing you guys on the production side should be busy for quite sometime.

The amount of prototypes and quoting of parts we have been doing you guys on the production side should be busy for quite sometime.

I hope you're right. But there a lot of crazy variables out there that can shut down the whole industry like it did four years ago. I hope this continues as I'd like to get caught up on all the debts from the last four years :) and then start to go fishing again!

that's a good problem to have! If its truly that busy all the time then they will do something about it. Its cheaper to bring in a new guy then pay all that overtime. I know for my guys they always complain during busy weeks. They forget that the previous week they were watching paint dry and getting out early every day!

that's a good problem to have! If its truly that busy all the time then they will do something about it. Its cheaper to bring in a new guy then pay all that overtime. I know for my guys they always complain during busy weeks. They forget that the previous week they were watching paint dry and getting out early every day!

You have me dumb founded. :w00t:

Feast or Famine.. we're never happy! Doesn't matter what it is. I thought I'd have 2 months to do what I wanted before heading North.. now have two wrecks to recover and get rebuilt before I can do same. Money's great... work sucks.. that will never change!

At least my boss did the typing and won't be screaming at me tomorrow about posting to an open forum... :whistling:

Nothing wrong with the job Brian , the stress come from not having enought good things going on in the personel life after work . Becareful if your reaching 40 .Things are out of balance and need to be equalized if you get what i mean , i had the same burn out many years ago .

Me too.

I had my own business and was putting in 70+ hr weeks until I had enough.

Then I moved North got a great job and work 37.5 hrs a week now with the odd OT that I take lieu time so I can have more vacay time. :good: :good:

When I live in Ontario my commute times were horrible, now it's 7 or 8 minutes and I get to go home for lunch.

I have dozens of local lakes to fish and life is good.

All work and no play.................... ;)

At least my boss did the typing and won't be screaming at me tomorrow about posting to an open forum.

No worries,as they know how I feel. If you feel you need to pick at my threads ,feel free.

I was told to be the bigger man.That I will be.

Edited by Misfish

Brian take the time to smell the roses every once in awhile. It is a balancing act for sure right now with the work being so feast or famine. I have found that sometimes just a half a day off like a Friday or Monday is enough to let me get my mind back into the game. Hopefully you will get the help you need but until then take the steps needed to keep your health and sanity.

Art

It's the type of job that dictates if it's cheaper to bring guys in to help. If we get a now rare busy stretch, I can't bring in machinists and mold makers to help out. Regardless of how good they are, there is always an extended training period. They're working at 25% of their potential, mistakes are made and your "go to guys" are getting help up by them. The up side is sometimes you can find a gem but that doesnt solve the short term crisis. When you add all this up plus hiring costs and benefits, overtime is cheap...in the short term.

In the flower industry we had a 3 month rush for Easter and spring. The norm was 80-100 hr work weeks. It was taxing and stressful. It had health consequences. I had my MI right after I finished my last shift of that season.

We put up with those long hours because they more than made up for the slow weeks when it was hard to rack up 30 hrs.

Edited by bigugli

Been there and done that many times my friend, it is part of who we are I think, we don't like to let anyone down and always try to give 110% in anything we do.

The most important thing is to find a balance that works for you. If you continue to push yourself too hard you are going to end up sick which won't help you or the company. The biggest thing that I have found that helped me get through some of those situations was to prioratize. I make three piles; NOW, ASAP, and when/if I get a chance.

Everything that comes in goes to the bottom of the appropriate pile. If you manage to get through the NOW pile, the ASAP file becomes the now pile etc. Always start at the top of a pile and finish dealing with each item as you come to it.

I hear ya Brian.

I went to see Mike this weekend, only to find out your guys in the tool room have manditory Saturday overtime. What's with that eh.

My job, I've been working 10 to 20 hours overtime everyweek for the past 2 years straight. It's getting a little stressfull to say the least. Plus the 20+ hours a month on the SAR team, and now my wife is knocked up. Oh boy.. I'm feeling it to brother, I feel your pain. :stretcher:

I'm very thankfull that I can get out and jig, that's my meditation. Soon it will be casting. :Gonefishing: