Why are plastics so expensive?

Big Cliff

Canada is the retail cash cow of the western world.

In every way too.... retail to consumer... phone/internet to consumer... gas/natural resources to consumer.

I think it is this. Shareholders demand more profits. Companies then charge more because Shareholders demand it. Customers have no choice but to pay more... but the customers are happy because they are making a killing on the stock market so it makes up for it... POP!

Does anyone know a place that sells old spools? I have a Shimano Custom 2500 (mid-80's) that was my dads and I wanted to get an extra spool for it.

Just think about how much of that money is going into marketing it right back at you. :wallbash:

As far as I know, there's only a very small handful of companies distributing most soft plastics (pure fishing and the like) which hold exclusive distribution rights to all the big chain stores, making it much harder for smaller, burgeoning companies to have any real sort of impact.

I think its all relative Cliff. I fish plastics 12 months of the year for perch crappie and bluegills. I get my Fin-s minnows and shads from Mark in Bobcaygeon and spend less then $6 a bag. I think I go through maybe 5 bags...100 bodies....in an entire year. So $30 for an entire year and you know I get out alot. I could easily spend $20 a month on live bait, so I actually think plastics are a hell of a bargain :thumbsup_anim:

But you are right...somebodies getting rich....it's just not you or I :angry:

Edited by crappieperchhunter

If you're going to correct someone, you should probably provide some proof :)

I don't think anyone is asking for hard numbers, but it would be interesting to see the point of view from the manufacturer in all of this.

as both a manufacturer and a retailer i wont provide hard numbers, all i can say is as a manufacturer it would be nice to pull 50% margin on my products going to a distributor, im sure the distributors would kill for 50% margin and as a retailer i would love to double my money on everything, but none of that is a reality that i have seen, yes i do have a goal to hit a certain margin to ensure i keep the lights on in the store and have enough left over to increase stock and bring in more new products. as far as plastics go it would blow your mind if you saw the increases in raw material we saw in the last year. and yet we are not only expected to keep our prices the same but lower them.

Personally I don't use soft plastics much but I agree if you shop at the retail outlets around the GTA you will be paying a lot for bags of brand name plastics. I am on the email lists of all the discount websites in the US and I find that brand name soft plastics are the most frequently discounted, often deep discounted, products offered. Websites like FFO-tackle.com, Overstock baitandtackle.com, fishandsave.com, as well as Basspro, Cabelas, tacklewarehouse's bargin bins often have plastics at $.75 to $2.00 a bag. The only thing is you need to carefully monitor the price of shipping because it can be very costly if you don't. Share the order with several buddies and this cost can be mitigated however. I believe there's a chap on this sites for sale section that regularly carries and extensive line of Yammamoto plastics for $5 a bag and you can pick them up from him ($5 is good but Overstockbait was selling that brand of plastics for $2 a bag just last week). Consumers really should learn to up their game if they are truly concerned about the price of any goods. If you roam around with your chin stuck out every retailer will take advantage since that would represent human nature.

Plastics are brutally expensive. I usually fish with live bait for bass, pike and walleye (which I fish for the most second to Muskie). However, it's nice to have some plastic in the boat along with a rod when out with the family and the mood to fish strikes.

Only took 18 months for the Hubble telescope. Fifteen years for a rubber worm eh? It must have been quite the consulting team.

scientists know exactly the time of day and where they will have a bowel movement....fishermen pooh in the woods and if they are smart...they will have a sacrificial sock :whistling: