Why are plastics so expensive?

Big Cliff

I am trying to understand why so many of the plastics are so expensive. I was looking at a small jar of imitation minnows the other day, $7.99 plus tax, there might have been 15 of them in the jar. I've noticed that most of the plastics seem very expensive, even a little package of Finness minnows cost me about $12.00 and there might be 20 of them in the package and I'd be surprised if there was $0.25 worth of material in it. So why? What is making them cost so much? Are they really worth what we are paying for them?

I'm thinkin somthing along the lines as follows :

Mfg : $1.00

Pkg : $1.00

Shipping :$0.50

Mfg price to distribution : $5.00

Wholesale price to retail : $6.00

Retail $12.00

(out of that comes 2 X commission for sales.. actual costs and profits) ... not as lucrative as you may think for any one link in the chain.

Retail $12.00

(out of that comes 2 X commission for sales.. actual costs and profits) ... not as lucrative as you may think for any one link in the chain.

You could be on to something there as I work for several companies that have a 100-200%profit over costs.What would be different in this business?

Its like almost everything else these days,

Nothing (or not always)to do with what that product is worth.

It is whatever the consumer is willing to pay....or as they say "whatever the market will bear"

and a combination of other things like brand name and marketing etc

What do you think those $400+ plus rods and reels cost to make ?

I like to think guys they are afordable from this perspective , i bought a bag of Berkley Gulp minnows last june , used them for the season over and over and still have most of them , they are still keeping good in the glass jar i put them in leaveing them available to use again this season . For the minnows atleast i find them afordable .

Retail $12.00

No where near correct, i cant get into details but that isnt quite correct.

That is where the free market should correct the problem...if there is one. Unless there is extensive collusion.

If there is price gouging and lots of money to be made, somebody else comes in and competes with a similar product for less price, if there is no patent.

Cliff, I have thought the same. Plastics seems expensive for what you get- especially since there are so many different brands out there. And hence competition.

No where near correct, i cant get into details but that isnt quite correct.

If you're going to correct someone, you should probably provide some proof :)

I don't think anyone is asking for hard numbers, but it would be interesting to see the point of view from the manufacturer in all of this.

Your right Cliff, most of the prices you will see tho will come down in price this year. All of Berkley Powerbait went from 4.99 to 3.99 other stuff went from 5.99 to 4.99 the hollowbelly and fancy stuff went from 10.99 to 9.99 and the entire Gulp lineup has gone from 6.99 to 6.49

These are all minor bits of savings but it's about time. The guys at the store remember when a pack of worms were 7.99 plus tax. Times are changing. Let's see of other brands of plastics start to follow and fall back some.

Canada is the retail cash cow of the western world. Just look at the prices on Ebay, and compare that to what the stores are charging. Most Ebay prices are cheaper than what the stores are paying from the US manufacturers.When the orders come in from Canadian retailers, there is a whole different price list involved. I see it in my bussiness every day,and there is no way it can be justified.

It’s a fact that the more expensive the lure, the more fish it will catch regardless of the design, materials used or attractants added. By increasing the price, manufacturers are increasing the Mojo of your lure exponentially...5 out of 4 sponsored pro tournament bass fishermen agree :good:

It’s a fact that the more expensive the lure, the more fish it will catch regardless of the design, materials used or attractants added. By increasing the price, manufacturers are increasing the Mojo of your lure exponentially...5 out of 4 sponsored pro tournament bass fishermen agree :good:

LOL!!! And to think we catch steelhead on eggs and $0.05 in netting.. CRAZY!