Name That Fish ~ Cuban Edition

solopaddler

As many of you know I recently spent a week in Cuba with the family. Overall a great trip, fishing was decent and a Monte Cristo #5 with a double shot of 10 year old Havana Club is pretty hard to beat. :)

I had some decent success on small bones and one surprise permit wading some nearby flats and casting small jigs. As well there was a nearby boardwalk that spanned the entrance to a large salwater lagoon. We caught a multitude of small colorful scrappy little fish using mostly bait under a float.

But two fish stand out above all, one was caught and one was lost. Both were hooked right off the beach amazingly enough and I drew quite a crowd of gawkers both times.

First fish hit hard and almost spooled me. Ultimately I was successful landing it, Joanne snapped a couple of quick pic's and back she went.

CubaJan2012021-1.jpg

CubaJan2012025.jpg

Can anyone tell me what it is? A Cuban lifeguard tried in broken english but the translation was difficult.

He did say some people will keep these fish to eat but that they could be poisonous.

He said they feed the fish to their goats or dogs first. If the animals eat the fish then it's dinner time LOL!

About an hour later I hooked a second fish that hit like a freight train and spooled me. Never did see the thing. It took 300yds of 40lb braid and was gone.

Pretty amazing (Sorry Aaron I lost your lure and all the line you lent me LOL!)

Here's a few more pic's from the trip just for fun.

Brendan fishing on the boardwalk

CubaJan2012016.jpg

Nearby point I had some pretty good success fishing off

CubaJan2012010.jpg

Beach

CubaJan2012011.jpg

Joanne and Brendan relaxing together by the pool

CubaJan2012026.jpg

Me on the beach with cigar and rum. :)

CubaJan2012003.jpg

Nice trip! Makes me rethink heading south instead of north all the time. My wife would probably prefer that - although, that means she would be coming with me, might need to really ponder on that one!

I would guess that fish is a Yellowfin Grouper. Definitely a grouper of some sort.

Cheers!

Looks like a good time Mike. thumbsup_anim.gif

I would guess that fish is a Yellowfin Grouper. Cheers!

I was going to say the same thing as FishLogic, looks just like the 45lb Yellowfin Grouper my Uncle had mounted. Not toxic to the best of my knowledge. dunno.gif

man do I miss ocean fishing. The power of the fish make a smallmouth bass look like a pansy. I once hooked a sailfish about 100 feet from the boat. Mate told me I've got a 45 minute fight on my hands. Didn't believe it until the thing was hundreds of feet away in a matter of seconds. Next 30 minutes was earn a foot, give back 11 inches...by the time I finally got it to the boat I was sooooo done with it!

So it's either a Strawberry, Yellowfin or Spotted Grouper or possibly a "Cervesa Senor".

There was a large, loud Italian tourist nearby who said "Ayyy...whassa da beeeg deal? Eees just a beeg oogly feesh!! :lol:

(When the Cuban explained how the fish could be toxic all I could think of was Homer Simpson and puffer fish LOL!)

Hey thats the same place I was in december. I was standing on that blue bridge kicking myself in the arse for not taking a rod. I did the deep sea fishing tho and got a dorado. What part of the beach did you get that big guy ? I was eyeing up those rocks off the lookout point and figured that would be a good spot.

Hey thats the same place I was in december. I was standing on that blue bridge kicking myself in the arse for not taking a rod. I did the deep sea fishing tho and got a dorado. What part of the beach did you get that big guy ? I was eyeing up those rocks off the lookout point and figured that would be a good spot.

HA! Go figure eh? I was right at the very end near the rocks. The fish took me for a bit of a walk down the beach through a bunch of swimmers. Totally freaked everyone out. :lol:

A few times I paid the 3 pesos or whatever it was to gain access to the hiking trails on the point.

One trail lead to a really deadly spot on the other side that had deep water right off shore.

Looks like a good time Mike , is that the beach at Luna Y Mares, Holguin ,it sure looks like it. I have been there several times

and have always seen people fishing around that rocky point. I have walked around there and it sure looked good for fishing,I always

wondered what if I brought down a rod ,well by your report I guess I will bring one down with me next time, if i'm allowed :whistling:

Too bad you didn't get that big one in , i'm sure you will be thinking about that fish for a long time !