I am an idiot

huey graphite

I just learned over email that my 14' Lund curently stored in my brother's backyard was 3/4 full of water now that everything has melted. Sure enough, I forgot to take the drain plug out last fall. This is the first year I couldn't store it indoors. I am afraid to go look at it. Any ideas what to expect?

Remember, it takes a brave man to admit his mistakes...or is should that read "foolish".

funny you should say that

as I was making plans to pick up my boat this coming weekend, I just can't remember removing the plug when I stored it...

I am sure my trailer would be bent and the tires flat if I did forget

oh well I will know next Saturday, one way or the other

well it all started when a seagull picked up that goby someone left out in the sun to bake, but the gull didnt feel like goby, so it flew over your boat with another seagull which had a goby in its mouth, but they dropped em both off... and now there is a goby farm in your boat!!!!! lo...l. j/k hopefully with any luck, your boat is just full of water and the damage is minimal... Bud

funny you should say that

as I was making plans to pick up my boat this coming weekend, I just can't remember removing the plug when I stored it...

I am sure my trailer would be bent and the tires flat if I did forget

oh well I will know next Saturday, one way or the other

I know I took mine out. ;)

I,ll be picking mine up aswell this weekend bud. Got to do the bearings and check the wiring and get the seats redone and and and and

Hey Huey,I wouldnt worry to much about it,I would try and get to the plug though,Maybe put the plug on the outside of the hull.Easier to get to. Also carry a spare if you do this.LOL

Fisherman: :D Always making the best of a bad situation! Got any insights for a badly bent marine railway? LOL

irishfield: :worthy: No there is the true mark of a man with a very high mechanical aptitude! Water didn't leak out = hull must be sound!

Huey: your mission for next year (should you decide to accept it) is to warn everyone that is storing their boat outside to "remove the PLUG"

Hope everything works out OK for you and there isn't too much damage.

A friend used to pull his 16' aluminum outta the water every fall, unhook the trailer from the truck, drop the tongue to the ground and walk away till May.

He never covered it with anything and the boat would fill with water in the fall, then freeze solid and be covered in snow all winter, and in the spring, he'd syphon the water out, stick it back in the lake and fish for another season.

The boat never leaked a drop of water all the time I knew him.

You may be OK :thumbsup_anim:

Fisherman: :D Always making the best of a bad situation! Got any insights for a badly bent marine railway? LOL

This one took a couple of minutes...Badly bent marine railway... You could advertise free launching for very large boats and then claim the first one bent it all to spagetti, make him pay for a new one...

Honestly, hope it's not beyond the point of repair. Maybe snatch a couple of rails from some backwoods CN line, they're on strike and will never kow, I sure as poop won't tell. :whistling:

Are you an idiot! Not at all I think most have done some thing stupid with our boats for example last year out on Simcoe when we finished our fishing for the day stowed all the gear put the life jackets on hit the throttle and lets go 2 seconds latter I say to myself why is the boat not getting on plane it took a good 15 seconds before i realized that i forgot to bring up the anchor. Dumb eh!

The GOOD news is...it's full of water = you didn't crack the hull when it was ICE !

That's true Wayne, I wasn't thinking clearly I guess. Either that or my brain is waterlogged! :whistling:

I wouldn't say you were an idiot for leaving the plug in all winter. Now if you forget to put it in when you launch it for the first time after all of this, well, I have no comment.

I was busy and had to get my dad to close my water access cabin in N/W Quebec 2 falls ago.

He left all the deep cycle batteries at the camp. I run 3 of them off a solar panel with a charge controller. He left the vent fan for the composting toilet running hooked up to one :whistling:

He left all my low voltage electric lights on hooked up to another :whistling:

He forgot to drain the water tank and bleed all the lines :whistling:

He left the gas powered jet pump in its little "doghouse" down on the dock :whistling:

He left my brand new Honda generator in the shed :whistling:

He didn't secure my floating dock properly for the harsh winter :whistling:

The boat? Yeah he forgot to put the cover on the boat, jack it up and pull the drain plug :whistling:

That was the least of my worries!

Can't help but love the old bugger :D