I'm Agonizing Over This Boat Buying Decision

solopaddler

Hey guys I've narrowed my boat search down to two. Bear in mind this boat will be used solely at our camp in QC so my needs may not be the same as most.

First boat is a 2010 Smokercraft Ultima 162 with a 75 4 stroke Merc. It has the flip up seats in the back which imo is a better use of space in this class of boat. It doesn't come with a stand up cover which is needed.

http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?id=2016

Second is a brand new 2011 Princecraft Holiday DLX WS with a 60hp 4 stroke Merc and a matching Princecraft cover.

http://www.princecraft.com/aluminum-boat/products/Fishing-Boats/2012/DLX-Series/Holiday-DLX-WS/specifications.aspx

I believe the Smokercraft is a more functional design, however the Princecraft is a "slightly" smaller boat (same length, 4" narrower) and I think may be better on gas.

The Smokercraft is a used package from a private individual and is more or less mint. The Princecraft is brand new from a dealer.

I negotiated an amazing price on the Princecraft, it's not much more than the Smokercraft so that's not really a criteria.

Thoughts?

YOU have the full warranty on the Princecraft, it has the full top which you need (how much will one cost for the Smokercraft?). The Smoker is a bit bigger with a bigger motor which is always nice but does not have what you need and canvas tops can get very expensive. Good luck and don't agonize too much, look at what fits your needs better and go with that, you won't regret either.

the 16 foot princecraft would be cheaper on gas... and the 60 should be plenty of power... my buddy has a 16 foot lund that is pretty wide and deep and his 60 four stroke is perfect... my 16 foot lund tiller has a 40 four stroke and it is a sweet combo...

i think that 75 would just cost you more in gas.... and your purchase isnt as protected as new with warranties...

as long as it will be 2 in the boat most of the time.... and the water being fished isnt too big... go with the princecraft...

if you want a boat that will be better for trips and having more then 2 in the boat... go with the smokercraft...

I admire that your being so diligent with your purchase lol. I'd probably jump the gun if i were in your shoes from the excitement. :thumbsup_anim:

I agree with your comments about the back flip seats in the smokercraft, especially with the family. Although your little ones will probbaly spend 99% of the time up front in the bow. I know ive never seen a kid get on my boat without running right for the open bow lol

I also think that black princecraft is a BAD :asshat: lookin boat. Again.....i may let my superficial side get the best of me and go for the sexier ride :blush: You may be able to somehow mount more rear seats in the back if you ever needed them

Good Luck.....very exciting

With the pictured layouts, you'll have more room in the Princecraft in spite of the narrower beam. I believe you'll also have less upkeep on the Princecraft. It's also a bonus if you don't have carpet.

I like the layout of the Smokercraft myself. I'd look into whether or not the warranty is transferable. If not, I'd be buying the Princecraft. A full stand up cover for the Smokercraft might set you back $1500-2000 I'm guessing since a travel cover without the support poles can run you about a $1000.

Yea, I might just but the Princecraft.

Looks to me like the fisherman in you likes the versatility of the Smokercraft (more "fishing" features), but your practical side is telling you to go with the Princecraft (new, warranty, cover, fuel efficiency)!

Personally, I like the Smokercraft features and layout much better.

I think you can't decide because they aren't the exact boat you want. Maybe just wait until you can get all the features you want and not simply settle - all the nice features of the Smokercraft with the practicality of the Princecraft.

Anyway, I wish this is was something I had to agonize over, lol!

Edited by FishLogic

Thanks for the input guys. You're not making the decision any easier LOL!

With the pictured layouts, you'll have more room in the Princecraft in spite of the narrower beam. I believe you'll also have less upkeep on the Princecraft. It's also a bonus if you don't have carpet.

I don't know Roy, I was in both and the Smokercraft had way more room.

I would need two more pedestals for the Princecraft and when they're all in place you don't have much room to manoever.

Beyond the flip up seats at the back of the Smokercraft it also has the bow pedestal in a small indent surrounded by removable padded seating. The Princecraft just has a flush carpeted platform.

That said I really like the idea of full warranty and a rig that's better on gas with the Princecraft.

Mike

I really like the Smokercraft myself.

It looks infinately more fishable and has better seating to boot!!!

The only thing missing is the standup top.

Drop into your local marina and see what one would cost.

The guys at Pt. Credit marina (can't remember the name) do good work.

Cost for a full custom travel cover for my 18 footer was $600 back 10 years or so ago.

I would guess that a full top including bows would be $1500-$2000.

I think the Smokercraft is a better looking boat too.

Gas mileage difference between the two should not be excessive, especially if you keep it in the sweet spot when running and don't run WOT all over the place. ;)

I run my boat just under 4,000 rpm and get pretty decent mileage considering I have a 20 year old 90 on the back. But when I go over that 4,000 rpm barrier I can hear the difference in the motor and you can actually watch the gas needle move!!! :w00t:

Can't wait to drop a 4 stroke on the back and watch my gas mileage double. B)

I bought a Princecraft 164 WS two years ago and love it. Same width, a bit longer (4") but about 25% heaver. It does have the flip up seats, and room for the front pedistal if you want it. I have a 60 Merc on mine and it will get up and cruse at about 34 mph with no problems. As far as being good on gas, I thought my gas gauge was broken when I first got it, I just kept going and going and the gas gauge hardly moved. I finally went in to fill it up because I thought it must be close to empty, took $20.00 to fill it.

Now, if I was buying another new one I might go for the bigger engine, If I have 4 adults in mine with our gear and everyone behind the windshield, it can be a little slow to get up on plane with only the 60. For everyday use and for my needs, the 60 is perfect and super quiet!

Personally, I'd go with the Princecraft.

Whatever you decide you are going to end up going " well if I was to do it again" LOL.

A 75 Merc is a larger block size than a 60 and weighs a lot more but the added width of the boat makes carrying it level better. Some things I would check are location of gas tank, weight of fuel affects the balance, like one running up the centre or near front better than across the back. Aluminum thickness, PrinceCraft may be built as a price leader. Quality of trailer, even if used just for storage. You may get some "extras" with the used boat ie; sonar, extra prop, anchor, bumpers, etc. New boat "bugs" have been worked out already on the old boat, is the PrinceCraft dealer close if you have to haul out and make the trip. Is there similar instrumentation and I assume both have power trim/tilt. Lots of fun...

Look at how each is rigged, tm's & electronics,safety equipment etc. The smoker is likely sructurally stronger due to the hp rating and extra dry weight. The 75 being the bigger block would have more ummpf and would perform much better when you load the boat down and for tubing/skiing.Difference in gas usage would be coffee money so dont even give that a second thought,load both down and your mpg would be about even. If it was me Id lean to the smoker.

If your on a small lake the 60 hp seems more practical. Not sure how big your lake is Mike.

I will never buy a Pricecraft. A friend had one, full windshield. The Windshield glass is tempered, and the wrapped stuff is expensive. Tempered glass is very strong except the edges...which cannot tolerate much contact with metal or anything hard...The windshield on this boat shattered 5 times!!! Princecraft paid for it twice then basically said FU. I knew all along what the problem was (I'm in the glass business) There was a rivet that was touching the edge of the glass...

WICKED Mike!!!

Either, or, man, tough call. Guys here are making some awesome points in favor of their choices too. I think you'd be hard pressed to go wrong either way, they both look awesome. I think if I had to give one boat my 51% as a the go ahead for a multi-use fishing boat first... Probably the Princecraft.

Gas mileage... probably not much of an issue, but you do fish alot, and travel alot to fish... pulling or pushing more weight adds up. Give the edge to the lighter Princecraft... slightly.

Warranty... edge to the Princecraft.

Cover... edge to the Princecraft.

Resale... edge slightly to the Princecraft.

I can tell ya too bud. The 16' 3" Rebel XL I have, (although a tiller) is 775 dry and about the same weight as that Princecraft, has a Yammy 60HP to push it to a max 35mph, has the same 84" beam... and gets me in and out of all the same places that bigger Smokercraft would go. The motor sips fuel to push that boat. Did I say yet that the black is wicked... edge... Princecraft... looks and personal preference.

Again though... only 51/49 in favor of the Princecraft... that Smoker is smoking too, and it looks like a bit more comfortable a family/fishing boat with that extra bit of power too.

Agonize away... Gonna be a tough year for you with the boat, Eddies, Sutton... geez... lol.

Edited by Moosebunk

buy'em both !!

sounds like you could mull this for quite a while. both units sound like great choices. but like a few here have said - the bigger motor is always nice to have in reserve !! As kids get older things like tubing and skiing start to sound like a lot of fun and the extra hp might help then !! and I'm not sure how much gas you'd save with the smaller unit

WICKED Mike!!!

Gas mileage... probably not much of an issue, but you do fish alot, and travel alot to fish... pulling or pushing more weight adds up. Give the edge to the lighter Princecraft... slightly.

Won't be travelling with this boat, it'll be moored at the camp, so trailerability (is that a word?) is a non factor.

I can tell ya too bud. The 16' 3" Rebel XL I have, (although a tiller) is 775 dry and about the same weight as that Princecraft, has a Yammy 60HP to push it to a max 35mph, has the same 84" beam... and gets me in and out of all the same places that bigger Smokercraft would go. The motor sips fuel to push that boat. Did I say yet that the black is wicked... edge... Princecraft... looks and personal preference.

The other boat I looked at and seriously considered was a 2010 Lund Rebel 1625 XL Sport with a 50 Merc 4 stroke.

I really liked it a lot. It also had a full cover, trolling motor, electronics, and the flip up rear seats. The bottom line on that one was 17 g's all in.

In actuality there is a bit of a price difference between the Smokercraft and the Princecraft.

Princecraft (bear in mind this is brand new from a dealer) is $13,500 plus tax.

Smokercraft I think I can get for $12500 all in.