I'm Agonizing Over This Boat Buying Decision

solopaddler

In actuality there is a bit of a price difference between the Smokercraft and the Princecraft.

Princecraft (bear in mind this is brand new from a dealer) is $13,500 plus tax.

Smokercraft I think I can get for $12500 all in.

Man... you're making this agonizing for me too. :w00t:

Difference in price plus tax will certainly cover that cover. ;)

You're not trailering much but instead mooring. Dood, I can't believe this is going to be your "at the camp" boat. B)

51/49 is now 50/50... :lol:

Mike

I bought a Brand new Starfish DLX SC last April. A smaller boat, but still a Princecraft.The textured vinyl floors are quick to clean up, but do get very hot under the summer sunshine. No bare feet in the boatwhistling.gif I had my dealer instal a color matching Bimini roof to held keep me cool.

I love the stability of the reversed chine and modifed V hull, it sits relatively high in the water,and it is very responsive in turns. I have the 40HP 4 stroke, and i ran all summer, over 275hours fishing, on less than 50 dollars gas.

The boat is finished very well for the price point, and i really love mine.

Edited by mercman

Tough call. Both nice boats.

I like the layout of the pricecraft better personally, and the cover. It's a close call, but I'd go Princecraft.. I've always wanted one.

Good to see you still around Cudz!

Well I am the happiest guy in the world right now. I just got a wicked deal on a used Smokercraft for myself and my buddy grabbed a new Princecraft. The pricing on these rides were unbelievable!!! Rumour is that some guy could make up his mind and the owner/dealer couldn't wait any longer and was motivated to move the boats. :whistling::rofl2:

Sorry Mike, Phil's post made me do it. So which did you buy??

BTW - I'm 50/50 and sitting on the fence with these rides as well. Certainly could easily get the cover done for the difference in price between them. Warranty is the only concern I would think at this time.

Mike

Been reading and following.Im a simple guy as you know.

If you are worried about coverage/warrenty, then the Prince Craft is the one. If you can cover costs of repairs of the smoker when need be,then pull the trigger. But think first.

IMO, The Prince craft is the/your best bet. Dont forget,you are not the only one using it. You dont want the rest of the family to be pissed cause you cheaped out would ya. LMAO.

Prince Craft. :clapping:

Is Princecraft a Canadian company? Just another factor if that is the case.

It is located in Canada; it is American owned. They are part of Brunswick which owns Mercury outboards, Lund, Crestlines, Lowe, among other companies.

I own a 2011 Princecraft Holiday DLX SC (I think it is the same hull with a side console) and it is a soldi boat. It handles the rough water quite well but could use more storage.

By the way does the $13,500 include freight and rigging, etc.? Boats are like cars... they tack a whole lot of extra charges on to the sales price; and that is before they add the taxes. A new boat in the size range would usually have about $1,500 for freight and rigging with taxes on the total. Make sure you factor that in to your budget.

Thanks a bunch guys lots of good feedback!

By the way does the $13,500 include freight and rigging, etc.? Boats are like cars... they tack a whole lot of extra charges on to the sales price; and that is before they add the taxes. A new boat in the size range would usually have about $1,500 for freight and rigging with taxes on the total. Make sure you factor that in to your budget.

$13,500 includes all the extra charges minus the taxes. With the stand up cover included it's a really good deal.

That said I'm leaning towards the Smokercraft. I'm going to make a decision before I leave for the land of rum and fine cigars on Saturday. :)

$13,500 includes all the extra charges minus the taxes. With the stand up cover included it's a really good deal.

That said I'm leaning towards the Smokercraft. I'm going to make a decision before I leave for the land of rum and fine cigars on Saturday. :)

Does that include a trailer? If so that is an incredibly good deal. I was quoted more than that for a 14.5' Resorter in 2009.

Does that include a trailer? If so that is an incredibly good deal. I was quoted more than that for a 14.5' Resorter in 2009.

Yep it includes a trailer, I know it's a good deal.

Thing is the Smokercraft is a 2010 ,is virtually brand new and is a couple grand cheaper.

What I found really surprising there were no real deals to be had Stateside for this class of boat.

I figured for sure I'd find my boat in the U.S. but that hasn't been the case.

Yep it includes a trailer, I know it's a good deal.

Thing is the Smokercraft is a 2010 ,is virtually brand new and is a couple grand cheaper.

What I found really surprising there were no real deals to be had Stateside for this class of boat.

I figured for sure I'd find my boat in the U.S. but that hasn't been the case.

The deals in the states usually apply to higher end boats...

Lots of 18 foot plus boats with big motors for cheap...

These 2 boats are more entry level as far as new boats are concerned...

Tough decision Mike, I would go for the Smoker myself. Like Bob said the family is growing, get the bigger boat, and you won't have to do this again in five yrs. The Smoker is a much dryer ride as well. If your going to moor it get a good custom cover made for it, don't cheap out there. Way more boat then the Prince. I vote Smokercraft.

Fish.

Wait a NY minute here.....you don't want to rush into anything here....it's mid winter...you have lots of time....so here's what you got to do....since I drink rum and love fine cigars and I'm not too far from you....I will bring the rum as I can get it far cheaper....while you can get the FINE Cigars (Cubans) and we will have a pow wow over this.....then after we are all liquored up we'll talk about this Smokercraft that your going to buy....we will then make a offer he can't refuse... :whistling:....Redneck style... :lol:

Seriously, if the price is 12.5k for the Smokercraft.......then 12k will EASILY get it in mid winter in this LOUSY economy.

Either way here's what BOAT translates out to:

Brake

Out

Another

Thousand

OR

A hole in the water you keep pouring money into..... :w00t:

Bob, you'd wait it out for a lousy $500 and possibly miss out on the boat? Being cheap is good under the right circumstances, but this isn't one of them..

Mike, pick one, buy it and we'll toast a few adults pops in it this year :) (Tied up to the dock of course, lol!)

Edited by BillM