Can't Believe This Happen... Update - Repaired!!!

Leecher

Today was going through my ice fishing gear and all was good until one of my tipup slip my grip and landed on the concret floor and broke in half :w00t::wallbash:

Gosh darn.... got to hate that when it happens :wallbash:

IMGP2232.jpg

IMGP2233.jpg

As you can see, no way to repair this one :wallbash:

Ah well guess I'll be busy in the workshop again :rolleyes::whistling:

Leechman

Edited by Roy

Reach for the glue Jacque !! :whistling:

That was my first thought Wayne... but will glue hold up in freezing temps??

Yep....Gorilla glue and a few brads will fix 'er right up. :thumbsup_anim:

Again... will glue hold in freezing temps??

and some screws and yer laffing

Can't put screws in cause there's a hole for the line to go thru

If mine break that way, are they warrantied??sarcasm.gif

That sucks Jacques. At least you can reuse the reel assembly.

No worries Chad... If yours brake, it's warrantied for life :)

2 part 24 hour cure epoxy will mend that just fine Jacques. thumbsup_anim.gif

That good advice Chris!!! Will epoxy hold in freezing temps?

How about a bit of PL Premium?

Don't know what PL premium is :dunno:

Jacque's speech pattern or the rod?? :D

Now that was funny Wayne :rofl2:

The epoxy will repair the bond stronger than the original wood(as will most woodworker's glues).

If you want to reinforce the area so it won't break again just a few fibres north or south of the repair, a couple of brads or pins as mentioned would probably do the trick(although splitting might be an issue), or you could whip around the outside of the area like rodbuilders do.

Spiel would know more.

Cheers,

Mark

Take the joint with a chip brush (disposable glue brush) that has been dipped in water brush both sides with Gorilla outdoor glue. Apply pressure with clamps and allow to dry. The next time it breaks it will be anywhere other than the glue line. If you want to add something to it you can apply glue to the outside of the repair and wrap it with braid fishing line after it dries apply clear nail polish or thread sealer. I would use caution with brads or screws both damage the wood fibers and instead clamp it till the glue dries.

Art

Before you through it out you might want to try this.

1. glue it back together useing exterior wood glue(not to much) if you dont have clamps just wrap masking tape around it a few times then let it harden for a couple hours.

2. this is the fun part. :clapping:

Get in your car and drive to your favorate fishing store to buy epoxy resin(the type used on reparing eyelets on fishing rods) try not to get distracted.

3. when you get home take the tape off sand it lightly(220 grit)find some braided line and wrap it tightly around the glue joint then aply the epoxy this will make it 10 times stronger.

You might want to use the shank of a drill bit to put in the hole where your line goes through when you glue it back together so the excess glue doesnt inhibit your line latter.

Good luck hope this helps.

Edited by saltydawg

Once the glu is dry, no worries.Go with the epoxy that Chris mentioned.Put 2 thin brad nails through on each side of the line chanel and clamp it to get out the air pockets.thumbsup_anim.gif

Epoxy is what I'm going to use but nails are out of the question because the wood is dry and don't want to cause more damage... Appreciate your input Paul :thumbsup_anim:

Jacques!.....throw that thing in the Garbage,i'll sneak over later, and haul it away for ya :canadian:

:w00t:

duct tape

Temporary fix but should work while the epoxy dries :good:

The epoxy will repair the bond stronger than the original wood(as will most woodworker's glues).

If you want to reinforce the area so it won't break again just a few fibres north or south of the repair, a couple of brads or pins as mentioned would probably do the trick(although splitting might be an issue), or you could whip around the outside of the area like rodbuilders do.

Spiel would know more.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark for your input!!!

X2 :canadian::lol::lol:

:o

thats why i never buy that dodgy French crap........ :whistling:

Hey now that's not nice :glare::lol:

Take the joint with a chip brush (disposable glue brush) that has been dipped in water brush both sides with Gorilla outdoor glue. Apply pressure with clamps and allow to dry. The next time it breaks it will be anywhere other than the glue line. If you want to add something to it you can apply glue to the outside of the repair and wrap it with braid fishing line after it dries apply clear nail polish or thread sealer. I would use caution with brads or screws both damage the wood fibers and instead clamp it till the glue dries.

Art

Thanks Art, that's some solid advice :thumbsup_anim:

Before you through it out you might want to try this.

1. glue it back together useing exterior wood glue(not to much) if you dont have clamps just wrap masking tape around it a few times then let it harden for a couple hours.

2. this is the fun part. :clapping:

Get in your car and drive to your favorate fishing store to buy epoxy resin(the type used on reparing eyelets on fishing rods) try not to get distracted.

3. when you get home take the tape off sand it lightly(220 grit)find some braided line and wrap it tightly around the glue joint then aply the epoxy this will make it 10 times stronger.

You might want to use the shank of a drill bit to put in the hole where your line goes through when you glue it back together so the excess glue doesnt inhibit your line latter.

Good luck hope this helps.

Thanks saltydawg for the sound advice :thumbsup_anim:

Couple of drywall screws and Bobs yer uncle...Art had a good idea also..Gorilla glue!

Joe

Thanks Joe :thumbsup_anim:

Nails can be a bad idea if you dont do it right Jacques. That looks like a good hard wood, so for lateral strength, drill pilot holes, put a drop of epoxy on the Brad nail tips, and slide them into the pilot holes.

Paul, the wood is pine and very dry since I build those tipups a couple of years ago, so nails are not an option... just afraid it would split if I insert nails even pre drilling holes... but here's what I'm going to do and think it's going to work just fine:

Glue both pieces together and clamp it down, let it dry.... then dip a strip of cheese cloth (about 1/4" wide) in glue and wrap it around and let it dry... then apply a thin coat of apoxy, sand and re paint :)

I think that might just work fine. Thanks again everyone for your input, much appreciated :thumbsup_anim:

Paul, the wood is pine and very dry since I build those tipups a couple of years ago, so nails are not an option... just afraid it would split if I insert nails even pre drilling holes... but here's what I'm going to do and think it's going to work just fine:

Glue both pieces together and clamp it down, let it dry.... then dip a strip of cheese cloth (about 1/4" wide) in glue and wrap it around and let it dry... then apply a thin coat of apoxy, sand and re paint smile.gif

I think that might just work fine. Thanks again everyone for your input, much appreciated thumbsup_anim.gif

I think you are rightclapping.gif Sounds like it will be good as new when you finish with it.