BC Fishing Vacation

Jet

Work hard, play hard. I've always lived by this motto and I finally got the chance to put it into practice this past September (and I'll take this opportunity to apologize for the belated report).

After a solid year of non-stop work bringing my restaurant from start to finish and then opening, I finally reached September 4 where my two week vacation would begin. I was counting down the days since June. I wanted to have two weeks of not worrying about food deliveries, accounting, payroll and all the other daily chores that come with running your own business.

Even better was that two of my best fishing partners - Jimmy and Chris - from Toronto had committed to coming down this way to accompany me for two weeks of hardcore fishing. By hardcore I mean up at 6:30 a.m. and with the long hours of sunlight here (Cranbrook gets the most hours of sunlight of any place in BC) we'd wrap up our trips around 9 p.m. To be honest the fishing was more exhausting that the restaurant. But of course it was worth every exhausting moment.

For 14 days we visited eight different rivers with many pulling double duty. Most of which was dry fly fishing for Westslope Cutthroat Trout with random trips for Bull Trout and one for Columbia River Rainbows. There are a ton of pictures ahead, so I'll let them do most of the talking.

The day after we closed, we headed to the Skook. It's a far off the beaten track river nearly 40 km down a remote logging road. We stop to bask in the start of what would be an epic journey.

IMG_0512.jpg

And finally we reach our destination

IMG_1299.jpg

It is a scenic river and well worth the trek in.

IMG_1307.jpg

We easily landed over 70 Cutties between the three of us.

IMG_1311.jpg

P1000979.jpg

After all the Cutty action I decided to see if the Bull Trout had started moving in. Unfortunately it was still early but we managed to pick off a few.

P1010011.jpg

P1000985.jpg

P1000984.jpg

The Kokanee were in full spawning swing. These are landlocked Sockeye Salmon and don't get much bigger than this. This is the reason why why the Bull Trout get so large here.

IMG_1505.jpg

After the boys got excited about Bull Trout, I decided to hit the Bull River. It is a glacier river that has a good run of spawning Bull Trout. The cutthroat action is also spectacular, but even more impressive is the river itself. It is as about as beautiful as they come.

It begins with the long trek down.

IMG_1372.jpg

The Bullies were shy but we managed a few.

P1000992.jpg

P1000991.jpg

With all the Cutthroat around, it was likely the Bullies were full most of the time. Here's proof.

P1010009.jpg

Now this is a fishing hole!

IMG_1352.jpg

Moments later, FISH ON!!

IMG_1363.jpg

And it did not get away.

IMG_1362.jpg

Nor did this one.

P1010003.jpg

Gotta love those glacier blue rivers.

IMG_1382.jpg

A good friend of mine is a guide here, so I decided to hire him to take the boys out on the Elk River. We floated around 12 km and the Cutties were suicidal.

P1010044.jpg

P1010029.jpg

P1010020.jpg

P1010019.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

IMG_1412.jpg

IMG_1403.jpg

After five days of hard fishing, we decided it was time for a break. We had a little party out on St. Mary's Lake, a Schnitzel Party to be exact. My friend owns the most popular German restaurant in town, so the Schnitzel's were top notch.

And they were cooked in the biggest frying pan I've seen at least.

P1010061.jpg

My friend made this beverage cooler out of a hollowed out log with a constant stream of glacier spring water. It kept us "happy" during the party.

IMG_1464.jpg

After a day of rest we hit the St. Mary's River.

IMG_1558.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

The action was steady with Cutties with this Cutbow being the highlight of the trip.

IMG_0646.jpg

Then we set off to an Elk River tributary, with promises of the biggest Cutties in the Kootenay region. And we all smashed our PB and then some.

On the way we stopped to check out the "World's Biggest Truck."

IMG_0764.jpg

Our best Cutty fishing to date was about to begin.

P1010087.jpg

P1010081.jpg

P1010076.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

And what a beautiful river it is.

IMG_0574.jpg

P1010115.jpg

P1010113.jpg

P1010104.jpg

We then headed to Castlegar to try for some Columbia River Rainbows. They get so big here that you can consider them Steelhead. Unfortunately it was a very tough trip and we didn't find the big bows, but that's fishing.

Only one of two bows we managed that trip.

IMG_1540.jpg

Unfortunately all good things must come to an end. It was the fastest two weeks of my life. I decided to end our trip on the White River. It isn't the best dry fly fishing river, but the water is top notch and the scenery second to none. There's also the chance for Rainbows.

To get to White River you drive down roads with shoulders that look like this.

IMG_0664.jpg

Now for some scenery.

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0714.jpg

IMG_1655.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1603.jpg

IMG_1600.jpg

IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg

The Cutties were average, but this Rainbow caught by my buddy Jimmy made it all worthwhile.

IMG_1609.jpg

I really want to thank my friends Jimmy and Chris for committing and coming out to spend my vacation with me. It wouldn't have been nearly as memorable if I had to go at it alone.

And thank you all my fellow OFC'ers for coming along for the ride and enduring my long report. Now it's back to work, but stay tuned for a 2011 Bull Trout Run report. So far it has been amazing.

Here's a little taste of my next report.

P1010156.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Incredible report Jet!!! If you were posting reports like this a year ago, I would have gotten in touch with you this past summer when I was in the area lol. Every glacial stream and lake I drove by I wondered if there were trout in them....your post gave me the answer. Bar none some of the best settings to fish in.....absolutely amazing! Looked like a great trip....thanks for taking the time to post the report!