ice fishing lure choice

peter23

1/8 jig...differing colors dependent on my mood as i dont think the fish give a damn with a live minnow will get walleye, pike, whitefish ,trout and crappie. sometimes the trout prefer white tube jigs...and whitefish prefer white micro tube jigs.

I have tried all sorts of other fancy shmancy lures ...but i always seem to start and finish a day with one of the above.

Thats not to say it is not worth buying and trying those other lures...sometimes the weirdest combinations work...but overall tube jigs and jig and minnows would be a more than adequate tackle box arsenal in my experience and opinion.

AND ITS NOT TOO EARLY....EVER!

Don`t forget different sizes of jigging raps. If you can peek through the hole make the jigging rap swim away from the fish it will then immediately attack it. No bait needed.

OMG!!!!....i cant believe i forgot jigging shad raps...thanks Remastered...they are definitely a freekin awesome ice fishing lure!

I also would agree, williams whitefish, white jig and minnow, meegs.

However I find some colours do work better than others, like blue and silver never had much luck with chartreuse for lakers. Another method that always works is the spreader, always worth setting up.

One time i decided to use a giant gold williams whitefish (10 inch)and start ripping it up and down off the bottom to see if i could attract anything to my minnow setup on a another rod a couple of feet away, after a few minutes i see a big red flash on my sonar and feel a huge weight on the williams and began reeling ... well whatever it was i lost it (probably dull hooks) but it felt like the biggest fish i ever set into while ice fishing, that was several years ago up in the Temagami region, so I believe the big flashy spoons do get the lakers attention.

I hate the cold but I gotta admit I'm looking forward to ice fishing.

I do about 80% of my ice fishin on simcoe. Its a no brainer out there williams ice jig or a white tube 90% of the time. Over the past few years I've found its not the lure your using but HOW you use it.

march516whitie.jpg

feb19th2-1.jpg

feb12lastwhtie.jpg

2FEB12.jpg

I think I may try messin around with some different swim baits next year because I did have some pretty good sucess last year with them towards the end of the season.

realstix1.jpg

Half and half hammered Williams ice spoon for sure. Although the key to catching Simcoe whities is to not sit over a school in inactive fish. I don't care what lure you are using, if they aren't in the mood, you'll just be watching your graph all day.

White Tubes are normally a Laker standby, but Whitefish crush 'em too...just harder to hook up as they have smaller mouths.

Williams ice jig catches everything as well...but it's light and doesn't stay as vertical as some other lures if you're fishing with multiple guys/lines in a small area like in a hut.

Large shiners on a tip-up should always be a consideration as well.

Jig one rod, set a tip-up with live shiner on another and whatever method produces best, double-up with that technique and you'll increase your catch rate good.gif

Edited by tonyb

I've had luck jigging the Live Target Golden shiner, but it's been better quality fish and lower numbers. Same with the Clackin Rap, although to a lesser extent than the shiner.

@MuskyMike, that doesn't really surprise me. I haven't used them through the ice yet, but plan on it this year. I think I caught more fish on those baits then anything else this year, especially walleye.

EDIT: I was thinking of the Northland Buck Aroo Jigs

Edited by manitoubass2

I'm suprise no one mention Little Foxee's.... they're great for lakers and whities. I use the silver / blue and tip it with a white fish fry :)

Edited to add: Another great lure I use is Mr.Champ tip with fish fry :)

Edited by Leechman

I've had luck jigging the Live Target Golden shiner, but it's been better quality fish and lower numbers. Same with the Clackin Rap, although to a lesser extent than the shiner.

@MuskyMike, that doesn't really surprise me. I haven't used them through the ice yet, but plan on it this year. I think I caught more fish on those baits then anything else this year, especially walleye.

EDIT: I was thinking of the Northland Buck Aroo Jigs

buck-a-roo jigs are good with 4-6 inch minnows and stinger hook for pike