Winternet and Ice fishing

NAW

What do you do MOST  

97 members have voted

1. 1. What type of fishing do you do more?

• I fish more during the soft water season then the hard water.
    • I fish more during the hard water season then the soft
    • I only fish soft water.
    • I only fish hard water.
    • I fish equally in both seaons.

I still haven't caught the ice fishing bug...as hard as I try to, I just can't. I'd MUCH rather be standing in a river, the shore, or in a boat. Maybe it's because I hate snow and cold??? LOL.

That said, ice fishing for me is more about being with friends and having a good time. I'd fish solo on softwater, but never on the ice.

I only started ice fishing about 5 years ago. Before that I never steped foot on the ice.

To tell you the truth, the worse the weather, the more I like it. To me, there's nothing beter then sitting in -35°c in heavy winds and zero visiblity jigging a few km from shore for white fish. :canadian:

It is nice to fish from a hut from time to time though :whistling:

When I was younger I ice fished in the bare bone outdoors......but 30 years of working outside in subzero weather during all times of the day and night has weaned me off of ice fishing....not to say it wouldn't happen again but for now all my ice is in my rum&coke glass... :P

I enjoy ice fishing

I never have to worry about it getting so hot I don't feel like sitting in a boat, which happens in the summer

but OFC get so much wintetnet/ cabin fever Disney made a cartoon about it

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid25.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fc52%2FMrbeee1954%2FVideos%2Fofnfever.mp4">

I love both, and I probably ice fish as much as I hit the softwater in a boat or from shore. In the hardwater season, I really enjoy that feeling of being outdoors in the middle of nowhere. The scenery is a major plus for me. One thing I don't have in the winter though is patience, I'm apt to drill 20 holes an hour looking for that immediate bite, lol.

That being said, I had some close calls last year on the Rainy River that have me thinking about slowing down this winter, and only fishing smaller lakes.

Is it any worse than sitting on your concrete foam seat in your sportspal not catching brook trout? :P

The day I get bored of any kind of fishing is the day I order a lobotomy haha.

Well, we can't all find old boat seats in the trash.

I love how nobody voted in the poll that they only fish on ice. Might be a reason for that!

In all seriousness, I'm really looking forward to trying it out again. I wish I had a snowmobile though, so I could get to some lakes I want to try where there are likely no roads plowed (they don't maintain them in the summer, so I doubt winter will be any different). It'll be a long time before I can afford that, since I don't even own winter boots. I'm starting basically from scratch here. The only ice fishing gear I already own is hooks, and even those are probably a special summer-only kind.

I just might use it on the ice as well.

I was thinking that exact thought. I really gotta get my hands on one or two of them. Guess I'll start with a trip to the dump.

I ice fish because it is just about the only option for 3-4 months of the year where I live. I prefer soft water, not because of the warmer weather, but because casting for fish is my preferred way to spend my time between catching fish.

Part of winternet isn't the lack of fishing, but the lack of other activities/chores such as cutting the grass, washing the car etc.

I love the ice :thumbsup_anim: If it came down to only one type of fishing...I honestly think I would choose ice fishing. I am perfectly happy wandering out on my own for a day on the ice. I do not enjoy going out in my boat alone...much rather have company for that.

Bundled up in my Fish Trap...with my ipod shuffle playing some of my favourite tunes while I haul in fish. That's what I'm waiting for :thumbsup_anim:

I love the ice :thumbsup_anim: If it came down to only one type of fishing...I honestly think I would choose ice fishing. I am perfectly happy wandering out on my own for a day on the ice. I do not enjoy going out in my boat alone...much rather have company for that.

Bundled up in my Fish Trap...with my ipod shuffle playing some of my favourite tunes while I haul in fish. That's what I'm waiting for :thumbsup_anim:

I havent forgot I owe you Steve. :thumbsup_anim: I got to get me one of them ipods.For those slow days. :lol:

Dude, all you need is a stick (literally, from a tree) some line and a hook. Any hook will do...take a treble off your Hula Popper if you have to.

Oh, you'll need a friend to drill some holes, or find some recently used holes and chip the ice out with your stick.

I think you're afraid of becoming addicted!

:)

Nah, not afraid - I welcome it. I tried it before and really didn't like it, but things are different now. Tastes change. I'm older, married, more mature, I like asparagus (still don't like brussels sprouts though), so maybe it'll be something I enjoy now. If it can help feed my fishing addiction through the miserable months, then I'm DTF (down to fish) in the winter.

Of course, being so fat I worry about the ice breaking, but I'm slowly working on that. :lol: