Winternet and Ice fishing

NAW

What do you do MOST  

97 members have voted

1. 1. What type of fishing do you do more?

• I fish more during the soft water season then the hard water.
    • I fish more during the hard water season then the soft
    • I only fish soft water.
    • I only fish hard water.
    • I fish equally in both seaons.

The fat part, or the worrying part?? :lol:

Ice fishing can be a great cardio workout - dragging your sled out, drilling holes, running between tip-ups, dragging the sled back.

I need a sled too?! I'll never afford this!

(the fat part. lost over 30lbs so far this year.. not sure exactly how much because my scale just said ERR2 when I'd stand on it, so I really don't know where I started, just when my weight started showing back up on the screen.. lol.)

Ice fishing can be a great cardio workout - dragging your sled out, drilling holes, running between tip-ups, dragging the sled back.

Or if you're me. Pull start the sled.. Pull start the augar. Twist the cap off the thermos.. Set to rods up real close so you don't have to run anywhere..

I havent forgot I owe you Steve. :thumbsup_anim: I got to get me one of them ipods.For those slow days. :lol:

I look forward to getting out with you this winter Brian. Perch or Whities/Lakers....doesn't matter to me. We will just have to get it done this year.

BTW I don't think Apple makes the shuffle anymore. But the Nano's are awesome.plus they tell time and are able to get FM radio as well. I already asked Santa for one.

:rofl2:

This is my float suite!

Floater2.jpg

Nick,what are you doing? :wallbash: Photoshop man. :rofl2:

I look forward to getting out with you this winter Brian. Perch or Whities/Lakers....doesn't matter to me. We will just have to get it done this year.

BTW I don't think Apple makes the shuffle anymore. But the Nano's are awesome.plus they tell time and are able to get FM radio as well. I already asked Santa for one.

No worries,it will happen.

Do they still sell transistor radios? :w00t:

Nick,what are you doing? :wallbash: Photoshop man. :rofl2:

Don't worry Brian. My much heavier (at the time) fishing partner stood there first to make sure it was safe ice! ;)

In all seriousness, I am actually very safe on the ice..

Edited by N.A.W

Since they've opened up a year round pan-fish season in the Kawarthas, I've ice fished more than ever before. For years we would make one or two trips a year to Nipissing or Simcoe. The last two years I've fished more hardwater locally than the previous 15 years put together.

The fat part, or the worrying ipart?? :lol:

This right here is what its about for me...and of course catching the fish! I love it when you can't keep up between bites getting to the point where you are outta breath.

Nah, not afraid - I welcome it. I tried it before and really didn't like it, but things are different now. Tastes change. I'm older, married, more mature, I like asparagus (still don't like brussels sprouts though), so maybe it'll be something I enjoy now. If it can help feed my fishing addiction through the miserable months, then I'm DTF (down to fish) in the winter.

Of course, being so fat I worry about the ice breaking, but I'm slowly working on that. :lol:

Dana, your'e hilarious, i like your writing style and sense of humour dude. :rofl2:

The problem I see with measuring ice thickness is that if it's too thin, it's probably gonna be too late.

I will probably play it very safe and wait for the cars to get on the ice first, and then I'll go.

Dana, your'e hilarious, i like your writing style and sense of humour dude. :rofl2:

Haha, thanks. You might like

, then.

Dana, when I go to my folks place on a lake I bring a fully charged cordless drill with me, a rather large bit and a tape measure. make sure the tape can get in the hole to see how thick it is and just inch out bit by bit. you will almost always hear the lake make sounds that might freak you out but most of the time it's the lake making more ice and air trying to get out.

My advice Dana. Find a seasoned ice fishing vet, and go out with them for a season. For the first year, I never went on the ice alone. The guy that I fish with has been fishing Simcoe for almost 50 years. I've learned so much about ice safety from fishing with him.

Remember, there's no such thing as "safe ice". Charts are just a guide under ideal conditions.

Wheres Chevy when ya need him.

He can tell ya personally,that safe ice,is not always safe ice. Glad he,s around to tell us this. (wish I could find his post)

Same area two weeks later,there were people every where. Both Terry and I, seen a guy go in,even though he was following a walked path.

My advice Dana. Find a seasoned ice fishing vet, and go out with them for a season. For the first year, I never went on the ice alone. The guy that I fish with has been fishing Simcoe for almost 50 years. I've learned so much about ice safety from fishing with him.

Yeah, that's good advice, and considering I don't own anything, not an auger, not winter clothing, no float suit, no sled, not even a long drill bit (though I do own a bag of potatoes - Sinclair will have to give me more details on how to use these for safety purposes), I'll probably have no choice but to go with someone who has at least some of that stuff. I know a few people who have plans to take me out on the ice, and my cousin and best friend both have ice fished and are interested too. I'm not sure if I'll find an actual ice fishing pro around me, but I definitely don't plan to go alone yet.

Yeah, that's good advice, and considering I don't own anything, not an auger, not winter clothing, no float suit, no sled, not even a long drill bit (though I do own a bag of potatoes - Sinclair will have to give me more details on how to use these for safety purposes), I'll probably have no choice but to go with someone who has at least some of that stuff. I know a few people who have plans to take me out on the ice, and my cousin and best friend both have ice fished and are interested too. I'm not sure if I'll find an actual ice fishing pro around me, but I definitely don't plan to go alone yet.

Dana (Dude) then feel free to HEAD SOUTH and PM me or Sinclair and either one of us can and or will take you out. Hell, I'll even throw in a tarp to keep you warm and dry if you don't have anything. :whistling: That, and I have the rod's, reels, lures and stuff (hutt too) so you just need to show up! (if you can get here) to go fishing. Heck, we may even trick young_one or others to come out fishing too, lol! :rolleyes: