Just my thoughts...

lew

Personally I like OFC, OFC, OFC.....just as it was/is, that is one board for everyone with no separation in F and NF posts. I have been around since year 2 or 3 and don't post as much as others but I am on here every day and read what I want and don't read what doesn't interest me. I also don't get involved with threads that are obviously destined for the pooper...Yes, I have opinions and thoughts on 'most everything but there are those among us that choose to get involved in a topic simply to stir things up and see what happens. Life is too short guys and gals, if you want to get involved in heated debates there are forums where all y'all would be right at home! Just sayin'......

Normally I would read this post and not comment because people have a tendency to take what they read personally.I have my opinion and you have yours,I may not agree with you and you may not agree with me but just state your opinion and leave it at that.

vance

well said Lew

I too am one of the old timers on the board from the old board, that was the old board , which came from the real old board and like the concept that it transformed into

many fishing forums you talk fishing and nothing else

this website are people who fish, who become friend like a community.(ontariofishingcommunity)

and as a community we discuss more then just fishing, but fishing is the binds that tie....

unlike other websites, it is amazing how many people have become life long friend, good friend and fishing partners from this site...it's an amazing thing

Am I the only one that when you see a thread has been locked----you open er up to see what the straw was that broke the back canadian.gif

Even worse. Someone PM's you to go look at a thread, and its been deletedblink.gif I wont sleep for weeks after that happensw00t.gif

I agree with Bill, but, can live with the status quo. It would be nice to see a section of JUST fishing topics.

It is a little odd (to me) that there's a section just for photos, and a section just for computer help, but not a section just for fishing on a fishing forum. And why not just put the photos and computer help, etc, in with the rest?

i like kicking frogs analogy -for me a locked post is a safe post!

dan you are right guys dont need to get their shorts in a knot. (or "I" dont need to get my shorts in a knot). your posts are never offensive ( i may have stepped in for you once on another site..)

to me there is something very condescending about the introduction into a post, the suggestion "give it up guys" or "just go fishing" or "here is winternet". if it doesn't concern you, then why bud in. would you walk up to a bunch of guys sitting at the bar, stroll up to their table and tell them to knock it off? just because you are not interested - or more likely, its not about you? you might if they were childern, but we are not children.

Edited by smally21

Here's a newbie perspective on it. I am new to fishing (started at the end of this summer :wallbash:) and to this forum. I originally came here looking for advice on where to go fishing and received more help then I could ever have imagined! And I posted my reports. But because of the people on here (and people are what make a forum!), I am hooked and love to spend a small part of my spare time reading through posts. A lot of what I read is to learn more about fishing so I am better prepared for the spring.

However, I also want to become a MEMBER here, not just a newbie looking for advice. And not just someone who posts when they only need help. Because I can't yet give advice on fishing (except maybe how NOT to catch anything! :whistling:), the only other way for people to get to know me is if there are other topics I may be able to participate in or even start.

I am an active member in 2 other forums for business purposes. In those forums you get eaten alive!! All posts have to be on topic but when you ask a question, it could be jumped all over and when you give advice, it can be jumped all over! I am certain a lot of fear stops people from posting altogether which is counter-productive to the forum's purpose.

It was with great pleasure I found OFC and everyone here and it's nice to have found an awesome combination of a great fishing resource and an exciting place to hang out. In the short time I have been here, I have laughed at posts, shed a tear at posts, and above all, learned more about fishing!

So a great job to the mods and members of OFC for making this place exactly what a forum should be! :thumbsup_anim:

Michelle

Edited by Miracon

Good post Lew. Me I dont care.

but not a section just for fishing on a fishing forum

Dana

Talk about fishing, hunting, the great outdoors or whatever you like in here! Keep it clean!

Almost sounds like something a FAMILY would do.

Yer so smat Geoff. :D

Great strategy!!!!I shoulda used that last winter. Woulda saved myself a whole lotta hurt.rofl2.gif

The key word being usually.

I also almost always view this site through the "view new content". So all topics come up based on the time of the last response. If I'm not interested in "used snow tires" I don't open the topic. If the title author is Bunk or someone else that posts great photos and tales I wait until I'm home. If the title is "topless pics of TJ" I make sure I purge my stomach first.

Its Art.

Actually I am listed as a Root Admin. I however smelled funny so Roy put me outside for awhile. It sometimes seems "one" of the mod's are picking on someone but rest assured it has been discussed and the actions of "one" is backed by all of us.

Art

Actually I am listed as a Root Admin. I however smelled funny so Roy put me outside for awhile. It sometimes seems "one" of the mod's are picking on someone but rest assured it has been discussed and the actions of "one" is backed by all of us.

Art

This is one site that you are given many chances , its not just one guy , if you get deleted (I know this all too well , and still Im here because it was desearved)not because one guy did not like you , was because you insulted the whole community . This comes from someone who knows . This is a great place run by great guys/girls , if ya dont like it close and find some where else . B

I belong to a number of other boards, all of which have separate sections for differing topics.

There has always been resistance in this forum to having a separate area fr NF posts. I don't know whether it is the nostalgia of days gone by when there was only one area to make posts or what. But, the Board has grown, the members have changed. Many of the long-long term members, going back to the 'old' board don't want to rock the boat and have separate forums for NF posts, to a large extent (IMO) due to respect for the Board creators. The board was created this way for a reason, no one wants to rock the boat and offend the inventor.

One way to gauge opinion would be to start a poll with 2 choices - separate section or no separate section, simple. If the Board owner(s) are interested or considering having a separate section a poll would be a great thing for them the start. If not, life goes on and we can all skip whatever threads we want on our own.

One way to gauge opinion would be to start a poll with 2 choices - separate section or no separate section, simple. If the Board owner(s) are interested or considering having a separate section a poll would be a great thing for them the start. If not, life goes on and we can all skip whatever threads we want on our own.

It would be interesting to see what the poll would say....let the community decide :)

The topic of seperate sections has been debated so many times over the years on this board and it always comes back to the same thing. LEAVE IT AS IT IS because it works!

No other fishing board has shown the sustained growth that this board has. If I put a post up here saying "I need help with"; plumbing, electrical, appliance repair, automotive repair, or almost any other topic you want to consider someone is going to get back to me usually within an hour or two with information and help that I need. Even if they don't have the answer to my question, they can very often offer sources where I can find the answer.

So if you want a fishing only section just go to a fishing only board or just skip the NF posts, it's as simple as that!

With a huge appetite for all things fishing that makes me a participant with a good number of boards, this wouldn't be OFC if it was the same as any other. Always liked the single page format, and especially do now because of slower internet speed at home. One page to load, and from there go to whatever topics interest you.

The Non-Fishing stuff.......................... I'll be honest, it's "a little" too much "at times." I do understand there are many members that use this forum to stay in touch and discuss different things day-to-day as friends. It is afterall, a community, and one with history. There are many positive NF threads that could be considered necessary and great, but sometimes... these and negative NF topics really do overshadow the fact this is a "fishing" website first. A "fishing" website with the largest amount of angler members and traffic for this region. With that, I would think OFC would have the greatest amount of fishing content to discuss and also, report. There are times when that doesn't seem to be the case, or, NF topics congest what many people come here seeking first, fishing. Many of the negative NF topics depress the general mood of some members as well, making the place less palatable to others at times. If more time was spent, creating, reading, contributing and responding to fishing related topics because NF topics were fewer and out of mind........... I dunno... I'd guess probably somedays, that would make the place happier overall.

Personally, I like the site and always have. Most do!!! Sometimes NF topics that didn't seemingly have any place being here to begin with, cause a stir. Nothing is perfect, so if I had one wish for OFC, it would simply be for more fishing.... cause that's something we're all usually glad to read and discuss.