whats too specific???

mike rousseau

so i wanna know what is too specific when it comes to fishing locations....

i talk about fishing the st.lawrence river and someone... i wont name names... has flipped out on a friend of mine over it....

the larry is a big body of water...

its like getting mad that someone says they get big walleye on BOQ... its not exactly a waypoint...

im pretty upset at what this OFC member said about my friend as well as myself... i believe this person was out of line...

if his opinion is true then i guess nobody on this site should ever name any resorts...lakes...rivers...GTGs...or locations in any future posts... or else you may be harased by him...

you know who you are....

my rant...

mike

Edited by Musky Mike

This is from the rule book Mike.

++++Please do not post VERY SPECIFIC information on fishing spots, ie pinpoint locations and maps. It is our belief that sharing this type of knowledge to the general public is not at all good for the resource itself. When communicating info on spots, please keep it to email or a PM.+++++

IM0, showing photos with identifiable backgrounds, is far too much info. I don't even like naming the body of water, unless it's Lake Ontario or similar.

But that's me.

The killer is the next time you go to fish your favorite bend, pool, bay, etc, there are 3 or 4 people fishing it, and you are the one that let the cat out of the bag!

Don't give away your fishing spots in an open forum. If someone wants to know where you are fishing and you want to tell them send them a private message. Just don't do it so every soul can read it. In the end it's your spot that's going to get invaded.

If we aren't supposed to name lakes, regardless of size, then the rules should say that.

As written, they are not VERY SPECIFIC. Can I say I fish the Montreal River? Can I say under the Latchford bridge? Can I say I fish in water??? Rules need tweaking so nobody gets their panties in a knot if we mention a river that runs for hundreds of kilometers.

Thats crazy stuff Mike. I have seen a couple of post about a lake or two,and have pm the OP.Best done this way.

As for the rule,it,s a good one,and like floatman55 said,it,s very true. I post I fished Simcoe the notty. Big areas to cover to find a spot.BUT,if theres someone that fishes theses areas alot,they will be able to pick an area out.Simcoe is a prime example.Dont know how many pics I have seen and said yep,know that spot.

Edited by Misfish

this case involves mercmans report of our fishing last night on the franny...

thats all the detail as far as location goes... he said the franny...

and he got chewed out by a member here... and he also trashed me behind my back(coward)

the franny is a big chunk of water... not very specific... and he was harased by this member for posting it....

he had a great day fishing and this guy ruined it... thats not fair to him...

i dont see problems like this when water bodies like credit.... ganny... lake o... lake erie... scugog...chemong... buckhorn... pigeon... g bay... nipising... simcoe.... etc are named...

If we aren't supposed to name lakes, regardless of size, then the rules should say that.

As written, they are not VERY SPECIFIC. Can I say I fish the Montreal River? Can I say under the Latchford bridge? Can I say I fish in water??? Rules need tweaking so nobody gets their panties in a knot if we mention a river that runs for hundreds of kilometers.

Exactly.

Every single fishing post i have seen in here say the body of water the poster was on, but no SPECIFIC areas. Some even use the name of the area they fish in thier screen names and avatars.dunno.gif

I think if it's a huge body of water like O or your home waters on the St. Lawrence, then that's cool to just say Lake O or whatever. Being specific such as "the rocky point off the million dollar log home with the cute girls who sunbathe" is too much and as pointed out, verboten. Obviously waypoints are def out.

Also agree re:photos. keep the background unidentifiable.

edit-ok, I had to look up the lake as it's one I've never been on. A boat cruising wiki page says it's 47 km long. That's a huge body of water even if it's just a widening of the St. Lawrence...

Edited by woodenboater

well the background in the one pick where you could see a background....

i could take to the top 10 guts in my area and i doubt any of them could tell where i was fishing... and like stated in another thread... i put the big fish in the well for a bit then take pictures.... you drift pretty far on the larry in 5-10 minutes... most of my pictures im in the middle of nowhere... or i would blur em...

opinions, everyone has one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks....remember that...don't let the haters hate..They just want you as miserable as them dude...Then they win..I have had the same thing happen to me on the grand...Caught some crap for posting the name of the river I live on and fish on..I could have cared less..I actually got a good laugh from it all...If you broke a rule on the board here the mods are usually quick to jump into action, otherwise who cares what others think...

opinions, everyone has one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks....remember that...don't let the haters hate..They just want you as miserable as them dude...Then they win..I have had the same thing happen to me on the grand...Caught some crap for posting the name of the river I live on and fish on..I could have cared less..I actually got a good laugh from it all...If you broke a rule on the board here the mods are usually quick to jump into action, otherwise who cares what others think...

its just too bad they have to ruin a good night of fishing by tearing a strip of mercman...

it makes you wanna not post reports anymore....

i dunno...

i love this site for the information i get and give... but some of the personalities... these people just dont get it... we are all here to learn and tell stories...

i know i had a heated "debate" with a member and i got out of line...anybody can get emotional about their passion... but in my eyes that was about an anglers safety... and i was trying to protect the angler and posibaly a trophy fish from being hurt....

this is about naming a huge body of water...

Further to that, it seems like river names are more heavily protected than lakes. Pretty inconsistent if you ask me.

A guy on here last week gave up a real specific area on my home lake and I didn't see anything done about that, but you mention a river and you are jumped on.

For the record I went jogging by the credit today and some idiot had flossed himself a real nice 2 person rowing scull. Idiot.

If you are an experienced fisher-person you can find fish. They are in the water, shallow or deep. They hold on or near humps, ridges, islands, points, weed-beds, channels or old river beds and live in aquariums...

People who obsess about locations are only showing their weakness. This goes along with the secret lure and other myths. Fish are either in ambush spots, in holding spots, on feeding flats, or following the forage.

Obviously small bodies of water can't stand a lot of pressure from catch-and-keep fishers, but thankfully they are poisoning themselves with pollution laced fish and will soon die-out...wink

Personally I would rather hear about depth and the cover...After that I can find my own spots...It's not rocket science!

On the other hand, I asked the little girl next door, whom I have fished with for the last 5 years, where she caught the fish that she was bragging about...She said "In the mouth!" HAHAHA.

I did not see anything wrong with the post in question.

At least the person with the issue used a pm to communicate his/her displeasure (whether or not it was done tactfully :dunno:).

Sometimes people will present 2 different personas and the public one does not seem to match the private one, and they may use pm's to further their agenda.

i love this site for the information i get and give... but some of the personalities... these people just dont get it... we are all here to learn and tell stories...

this is about naming a huge body of water...

I am with you on this. You caught walleye on the St. Lawrence R. and someone was critical about this ...Geez...

Hope they enjoy there 5 hr. drive. No location seem revealed to me.

Starting about 6 or 7 yrs ago i would do GTA brookie reports without mentioning creek.

Would get many, many PM's from people looking for location.i obliged thinking i would share info.

Would fish there in weeks later and never saw a soul or tracks from anyone but deer.

Even years later never saw a single person around this location. At least MJL was inspired by these posts, for local brookies, so my intention was met.

So much for 'thousand of lurkers' maybe a few hundred looked at post, many were repeat visits.

Whether it was multi-species winter Lake Ontario posts or Pigeon Lake musky never was there more traffic or increased fishing pressure because of my post.

The idea of 'thousand of lurkers' is a myth. Look at your page views on post.

Saw the walleye report in question. Congrats on good day. :Gonefishing:

BTW my musky rod is MH musky not MH bass which was stolen from car 10 yrs ago or so. :oops:

It's never wise to name any location on an open forum, specific or not!

Does a fishing report ever really need to mention any water body?

Mayhaps time to update the rules....?

hey if its a rule... i will never tell anybody where i catch any of my fish ever again...

im ok with that....

i just dont like friends being harased that bad over something everyone does on this site...

there are 3-4 water bodies named in the top 12 posts right now...