Today is my day in court.

Ron

Thanks for your efforts Ron... funny though that they didn't value your or their time enough to kill the ticket well in advance of the court hearing. Maybe they didn't think you would show.

And as others have mentioned, what were you burning and is this also going to get dropped?

Someone gots some splaining to do...

HH

I imagine some smart individual on the prosecution side changed what Ron was charged with so it would immediately get thrown out when it went before the court, and so that they wouldn't have to put up any defence for the fishing charge... which also would avoid setting any precedant. In order to get a ruling on what Ron is trying to accomplish, he'll no doubt have to get another ticket.. and do it all again.

Well that seems like a complete cop out by the crown. :(

If they weren't going to take it to court they should have let you know prior.

I hope they are made to reimburse you for your time and expenses that you incurred because of their stupidity!!! :angry:

May you hook into a freight train 'nook this afternoon Ron. :good::good:

Thanks Ron.

It was interesting to see the Justice of the Peace's reaction when we mentioned the seeking of associated costs with future charges being issued to any angler under this by-law and how the town is "in our opinion" violating the Fish and Wildlife Act by interfering with anglers lawfully fishing in the provincial waterway of the Cobourg Harbour.

:blink:

Next up is the Town council and presenting this information to them and offer in good faith to remove these flawed by-laws pertaining to fishing the Cobourg Harbour.

Good job Ron for all you are doing to bring this to public awareness. It is not without personal expense and effort. Today alone was lost wages, gas and a $50.00 fee for a copy of the court transcript.

Before this is done I would like to see public support on this issue from our outdoor angling groups. The voice of Ontario anglers should not be left to one angler defending his rights. Organizations who provide letters of support before Sept 12, 2011 will have them included in our presentation to the Town Council. Anglers are voters and we should all support efforts to preserve our access to public waters.

Big thumbs up to you Ron. :good:

We need an OFC award for you and others who lead by example.

Edited by Michael Brown

I imagine some smart individual on the prosecution side changed what Ron was charged with so it would immediately get thrown out when it went before the court, and so that they wouldn't have to put up any defence for the fishing charge... which also would avoid setting any precedant. In order to get a ruling on what Ron is trying to accomplish, he'll no doubt have to get another ticket.. and do it all again.

You nailed that right on the head Wayne, because that charge was never presented in court it was never addressed as being unenforcable. They truly never believed anyone would have taken this as far as Ron did.

Ron say the word when some financial assistance is needed and provide an address, $25-$50 a member here and we could really help out with some costs. As Larry Flint once said " why do I have to keep going to jail to protect your freedoms".

Great job.. thou I am still wondering as to why they would even be allowed to change the charge of a ticket AFTER it's issued.. That's like issuing a speeding ticket to a car then charging them for J-Walking 2 weeks later because they saw you Littering. If Colbourg wasn't so far from me.. i would be there on the 19th. You have my support and way to go on the win!

Edited by Lokka