Flying High

Jet

Ever since I've moved to the east Kootenay's it's been nothing but work, work, work! I relocated to Kimberley, BC back in October 2010 to open up a restaurant (www.kinbari.ca). I took a building from the 1930's and fully renovated it, then added a new two-story addition to house the kitchen and expand the living area upstairs. It took nearly six months of non-stop construction (renos are always full of surprises, and often not good ones), with myself in the trenches every day to try and get it all done. When our goal of being open for ski-season was clearly not going to be achieved, we all just put our heads down, stopped setting an opening date and just got 'er done.

In the trenches literally

P1000248.jpg

69369_10150306204125173_538290172_15473337_6529352_n.jpg

And the results of blood, sweat and the occasional tear!

Before

photo-1.jpg

After

P1000682.jpg

Before

P1000186.jpg

After

P1000680.jpg

P1000693.jpg

Kinbari officially opened on April 23, 2011. I thought I knew busy during the construction and planning stage. Now busy is an understatement!

While I'm now surrounded by some of the most pristine fishing waters available to man, I actually fish less than I did living in Toronto - 15 hour work days will do that to ya. However, every free chance I'd exploit to the fullest with a fully packed SUV, Google Maps and a lot of driving, walking and bush whacking. As some of you may know from my last few reports it started all with Bull Trout.

Armed with a centerpin, I tried desperately to fill the void created by the absence of Steelhead. Little did I know there was something likely far greater on the horizon.

Though I came here with a small arsenal of fly fishing gear, I never really got into it fishing in Ontario. And despite living here, I quietly convinced myself that I'd stick more to the pin. Tapered leaders. Double haul casting. Sinking tips. It all sounded overwhelming and it didn't help that the pin was producing a lot of Bull Trout and big ones like this:

bigbull2.jpg

Then came spring and for the first time since I moved here out came the fly rod (as back up to my pin of course). Though free time was even more at a premium with the restaurant open, every spare moment was spent on a river somewhere. Luckily out here I can be on a prime river in 20 minutes or less.

The first few handful of trips as the river levels dropped started peaking my curiosity.

373.jpg

P1000835.jpg

But every time I saw a deep pool, I couldn't help busting out the pin. And again it produced.

P1000842.jpg

Lovely colours too!

P1000845.jpg

Still something inside pushed me to keep on fly fishing, to give it more of a chance. So I started exploring more and more.

Potential in the distance.

P1000851.jpg

It was a long, steep walk down. Even longer going up!

P1000855.jpg

But it was worth it.

P1000857.jpg

P1000856.jpg

P1000871.jpg

And as I dedicated more time to the fly, the more fish I found on the end of my line.

371.jpg

P1000860.jpg

P1000867.jpg

P1000869.jpg

P1000839.jpg

Another free day found me venturing further away from home. To get to this river, you had to drive over 40km down narrow logging roads like this going deep into the Kootenay valleys.

P1000875.jpg

I had to bush whack a ton to find places to fish. On a map the river looked easy to explore. More often than not they were always teasing me from the top of a steep cliff.

P1000877.jpg

It was here that I can say that I was converted to fly fishing. The other fish I caught were fun, but not anything I didn't expect. In this remote river the scenery was near perfect, the isolation surreal and rises spectacular. When a massive Westslope Cutthroat leaped out of the water like a humpback whale to smash my dry fly, I finally realized what all the fuss was about. It was truly one of the greatest things I have witnessed in my fishing career.

Unfortunately I was alone and this epic Cutty slipped away before I could get a picture. But many more would follow that day like these.

P1000903.jpg

P1000900.jpg

P1000878.jpg

P1000904.jpg

P1000899.jpg

P1000881.jpg

Ever since I've been building up my fly fishing closet. A new Sage reel, St. Croix Rod and Rio Sinking tip line have been added to the line-up and the next target is my first Bull Trout on the fly - and I already have the perfect place in mind :)(yes for its beauty but mostly because here I don't have to cast as far! Learning to cast heavy streamers can be very frustrating!)

P1000803.jpg

But for now it's back to work. I can't wait for the next free day.

Sushi anyone??? (This is our best-selling roll called the Dynamiters, not to be confused with the Dynamite Roll)

P1000738.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Jet

Great photos Jet and congrats on opening your sushi restaurant, looks like a must visit ! Can't get enough of sushi and one of my Toronto favorites changed hands not too long ago. More importantly, it's good to see that you're making the time to hit the streams, life balance is good ;)