need help !!!! regarding a co officer

bigredfisher

Yes, I do agree here. It's like going to a vegan site and asking "where's the beef?"

.... It's more of a crime to bring this up, over the actual crime that was originally committed. It's easy to pay a fine with cash, but sometimes more difficult to pay for a fractured dignity. So it ain't so bad. At least you have learned something. It's only a couple hundred, and that money goes back into the program ... well ... it's supposed to

I agree with the fellow OFC'ers. There is a law for a reason and I could go out on Erie any day for perch, walleye and bass and bring in my limit in no time and bring friends with me and catch there limit to but I don't because eventually the fish population will not be what it is, pay the fine and next time don't be so greedy. It should be about being out on the water and enjoying the fishing with your family. Catching some dinner is a plus.

Chris

I agree with the fellow OFC'ers. There is a law for a reason and I could go out on Erie any day for perch, walleye and bass and bring in my limit in no time and bring friends with me and catch there limit to but I don't because eventually the fish population will not be what it is, pay the fine and next time don't be so greedy. It should be about being out on the water and enjoying the fishing with your family. Catching some dinner is a plus.

Chris

All while the commercial fishing boats coming out of Kingsville, Leamington, Port Stanley, Port Dover and Port Colborne gill net them by thousands. Sit back and have a cold beer and think about that mate.... :whistling:

think a lot of laws need to be changed

Ya like what do you mean Im impaired.I just had one beer. :wallbash:

All while the commercial fishing boats coming out of Kingsville, Leamington, Port Stanley, Port Dover and Port Colborne gill net them by thousands. Sit back and have a cold beer and think about that mate....

Nice call BB. :thumbsup_anim:

All while the commercial fishing boats coming out of Kingsville, Leamington, Port Stanley, Port Dover and Port Colborne gill net them by thousands. Sit back and have a cold beer and think about that mate.... whistling.gif

I don't agree that they go out and gill net and take the amounts that they do, they have also come along way allowing them to only use certain size gill nets and only so many. My grandfather did it for years out of Port Dover. But I wouldn't just point fingers a the Canadian side in the states you can keep a fish that is spawning. But I don't agree that Commercial fisheries take the amounts they do. I think they need change things big time so that we can have the fisheries that we do.

"Party" fishing is illegal in Ontario... they got ya fair and square!

Also.. everyone needs their catch seperate or immediately identifiable. Paper punch thru a tail fin would probably hold up in court.

Not trying to pick on ya Wayne but I took your word as the gospel LOL and got proven wrong on another board so I checked the MNR site and found this .

•Possessing more fish than permitted by your fishing licence or the fishing quota. Catch and retain and possession limits may vary by region, fisheries division, individual body of water, or even parts of a body of water. You must determine your “daily” fishing limit for the waters you intend to fish and follow these limits. Remember you may only catch your own limit – there are no provisions for “party” fishing or for excluding fish that you may have consumed or plan to consume that day.

so the OP's problem was admitting he caught over his limit not that their fish were all in 1 bucket which had nothing to do with the fine had he said he only caught part of his limit he would have been OK.BTW I went through the 2011 book and there's nothing about "party fishing".

Sorry SRT.. but the issue is "possession". If you put two guys limits in one bucket and you're carrying the pail then you have too many fish in YOUR possession. Many have been nailed walking off Simcoe ice in that situation.

"Party" fishing is simply a term for doing what he admitted he was doing. Attempting to fill 3 peoples limits by catching and keeping more than his own personal daily limit.

I can't comprehend what anyone was able to prove wrong with that diagnosis, in accordance with Ontario Regs, in this situation.

if your in a group and all your limits are in the same bucket, as long as all anglers are there the fish are not in your "possesion" just because your carrying the bucket or charter captains would get nailed every time they unload there coolers. I am sure the fine was for over his limit because he admited to keeping more than his limit to try and fill the other guys limits just my take on it next time I talk to a CO I will ask I seem to get checked more than anyone I know LOL see them all the time just goes to show ya how easy the regulations are to understand :wallbash:

If you put two guys limits in one bucket and you're carrying the pail then you have too many fish in YOUR possession.

So would it be okay then if both guys where holding the bucket together? One each had a hand on the handle? Therefore the possession would be cut in half no?

So would it be okay then if both guys where holding the bucket together? One each had a hand on the handle? Therefore the possession would be cut in half no?

So i know that this is getting to far but what if we did have them both in a sepret bucket and i got out of the car and went inot a store would the fish now not be in the possession of the guy sitting in the car?

I have fished for years out of a bucket and never did i get charged.

Howewver i never caught aything to put in the bucket lol

I don't agree that they go out and gill net and take the amounts that they do, they have also come along way allowing them to only use certain size gill nets and only so many. My grandfather did it for years out of Port Dover. But I wouldn't just point fingers a the Canadian side in the states you can keep a fish that is spawning. But I don't agree that Commercial fisheries take the amounts they do. I think they need change things big time so that we can have the fisheries that we do.

Lfish85, you're thinking but still need maybe one more cold beer and a good shot of JD... :)

I read your above post 3 times and I'm a little confused...are you trying to say you don't agree that the commercial fishing boats should be allowed to gill net or are you saying you don't agree that they in deed take walleye and perch by the thousands ?

In NYS we are not allowed to fish walleye until after the spawning season.....but I believe you are correct with the State of Ohio allowing fishing during the spawning season.

As far as gill net size.......they use a certain size gill net to target the species they are after....nothing new there.

Bob

I think this whole thread has gone way out in left field. The guy was honest, he made an honest mistake and asked an honest question and he has taken a real bashing for it.

To be quite frank, I've been just as guilty as he was without realizing it, Sue and I have gone out fishing, she has caught her limit and continued to fish, we throw all our fish in the one live well in the boat. I didn't realize we were doing anything wrong. We've never taken our full limit but always thought we could.

I have also fished with other members of this board who shall remain nameless where they have given me some of their fish so that I would have enough for a feed when I got home. Technically we were guilty of party fishing too I guess, we just didn't get caught.

I and these other people respect and abide by the rules but I never realized that we couldn't give someone a couple of fish because that is what this boils down to.

BRF, I suggest you go to court on this one, let me know when and where, you can call me as a witness to the fact that the rules are ambiguas! I am 65, been fishing my whole life, never been charged with anything always try to abide by the rules. If I found them hard to understand then I'm sure many others do too.

And the rest of you, instead of bashing this guy for a simple mistake, why don't you offer to go to court too and testify on his behalf? If the rules need to be changed or laid out more clearly then lets do something to help make that happen.

Flagrant abuse is one thing, an honest misunderstanding is another!

I have also fished with other members of this board who shall remain nameless where they have given me some of their fish so that I would have enough for a feed when I got home. Technically we were guilty of party fishing too I guess, we just didn't get caught.

I'm pretty sure that giving away fish is legal, as long as all the fish given away are counted against the single catcher's daily CATCH limit and his total catch (fish HE caught and removed from the water and did not throw back) does not exceed his daily CATCH limit. The "given away" fish also decrement the recipient's possession limit immediately.

If Joe catches 4 walleye one morning where the daily catch (and possession) limit is 4, I'm pretty sure he can legally give his skunked fishing buddy Fred 2 of the walleye. Joe cannot legally catch any more walleye, nor can he give any more walleye to Fred (or anyone) because he has harvested the maximum amount he is allowed for the day.

Fred, on the other hand, could go out fishing that night and legally catch and keep 2 more walleye (but not 4, because his POSSESSION limit will have been reached - 2 from Joe, 2 caught = 4). Even if Fred ate the 2 fish Joe gave him for supper that same day, he couldn't keep more than 2 fish until after midnight (start of a new day).

--

So let me get this straight because I'm confused now.

If my buddy and I are fishing on my boat, do we have to keep our fish seperate? We often put our fish into one livewell. Is this considered party fishing?

Peter

Yes you are , my livewell has a divider to keep the fish separate.

The thing I'm getting out of all of this is THINK before you answer the CO's questions. I watched a guy talk to a CO at the Wiarton dock one day many years ago. The CO asked how the fishing was. First angler replied, "I got 3 splake and my buddy got one". Conversation continued and then the CO asked the angler to accompany him to the cruiser so he could write the guy a ticket on the extra splake. The CO is right and he is just doing his job. You forced his hand when you answered incorrectly.

I don't think livewells need to be separated but they sure want your answer to be legal and logical when they take a look.

Dan O.

I think one of the biggest problems is that a lot of anglers fail to read all of the applicable finer points of what is prohibited. A simple step to get to those points can be accomplished by going to the MNR website(Fishing) and typing short question into the search feature at the top, i.e, "Party Fishing" and it will give a number of responses such as follows:

Possessing more fish than permitted by your fishing licence or the fishing quota. Catch and retain and possession limits may vary by region, fisheries division, individual body of water, or even parts of a body of water. You must determine your “daily” fishing limit for the waters you intend to fish and follow these limits. Remember you may only catch your own limitthere are no provisions for “party” fishing or for excluding fish that you may have consumed or plan to consume that day.

Part of that quote is also listed at the bottom of page 36 of the regs.

Edited by Fisherman