need help !!!! regarding a co officer

bigredfisher

hey i was at scugog today. i was with my dad and another buddy from the board making our limit 70 (i have a conservation licence). We were all thowing the fish we were catching into one pail, anyways my question is can i not catch more than my limit and "give" them to my dad or buddy as long as its within their limits??? It was a 180 dollar fine and i dont need this crap on my record(i am one to pick up garbage, take mine with me,and volunteer in fish lifts and such).... what can i do here?? am i in the wrong???

hey i was at scugog today. i was with my dad and another buddy from the board making our limit 70 (i have a conservation licence). We were all thowing the fish we were catching into one pail, anyways my question is can i not catch more than my limit and "give" them to my dad or buddy as long as its within their limits??? It was a 180 dollar fine and i dont need this crap on my record(i am one to pick up garbage, take mine with me,and volunteer in fish lifts and such).... what can i do here?? am i in the wrong???

Sorry, yes you are in the wrong! If I may ask. Why did you buy a conservation license anyway?

I believe once you catch your limit you need to target another species or quit fishing, quit keeping one short of your limit just to be sure your legal

SBK

That's what I thought SBK. You can catch and release before you reach your limit but not after...except if fish are alive and in a live well and you are culling to keep the best fish for your limit?

I'm guessing your dad nor EC1 knew the regs either. It was a mistake but you'll have to pay the fine.

Edited by Nipfisher

bottom line is you broke the law......

you would have a hard time fighting it in court

No he won't..

He'd be silly not to go to court and plead to a lessor charge or at least a reduced fine. They'll give it to him without issue.

I have no doubt that you made a mistake, and were not intentionally keeping more than your limit.But the MNRs have heard it all before, and that is why you got the ticket.When i am fishing with someone, i always ask to see their permit, so i know what kind they have, and i always try to be aware of the regulations in the area where i fish.

If you can, I would just challenge it. It sounds like it's a first offence and maybe you'll come out for the better as a result. It can't get worse besides the potential time away from work. Honestly, I don't think you purposely were trying to break the law and what you were doing seems logical to most people. Unfortunately these types of laws are in place because there are people who would take advantage of it - give fish to each of their family members etc to "reset" their limit. At least the CO didn't confiscate your gear. Good luck!

Edited by FishLogic

Unfortunately these types of laws are in place because there are people who would take advantage of it - give fish to each of their family members etc to "reset" their limit. At least the CO didn't confiscate your gear. Good luck!

Well they did take advantage of it, and it would appear that neither took the time to read the regs concerning party fishing. You see it pays to read and heed rather than hope and be a _______. You fill in the blank.

I guess I have to make an apology too for not knowing that you can't put everyone's fish into the same bucket.

BUT, at the same time, I don't think I've ever asked someone what type of license they're holding. Nipfisher, I think it's a little bit of an assumption that I don't know my limit though.

There was a total of 57 fish in between us, I took 18, and the rest were Bigredfisher and his dad. If the numbers we counted were correct, there should be 39 fish in their possession (under the 40 that was legal).

I apologize for not making 100% sure of our limits before hand.

I had an awesome time today...but this pretty much turned that upside down.

Edited by EC1

I know party fishing is against the law.

In the past, I also cannot guarantee none of my fish have counted against my boat mates fish or vis versa. I'm not as pure as most it appears.

We now use a stringer with 4 marked hooks each, as wall-eye (you can kiss my :asshat: on the word censor) on Nipissing is about the only place we are likely to keep a limit.

Edit: Try spelling wall-eye without the hyphen and see what happens. It's one thing to be wrong and ill informed but childish, come on.

Edited by kickingfrog

Sometimes inexperience is exactly that...inexperience.

You gotta learn sometime. I've been fishing for years but I never knew that you had to keep your fish seperate from the fish of the other people in the boat. Then again, I hardly ever keep fish anyways.

Seems like an honest mistake to me. If you believe their numbers, at least there were under the aggregate limit between the three of them.

Glad to see the CO's doing their job, seems as if there is almost a daily report of them out there lately :good:

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I, like many others here as well, was unaware of the regulations regarding the limits and this so-called "party fishing," just another perk to this forum. Will definitely keep this in mind next time I'm group fishing and keeping a limit.

Edited by fishindude