The Irrefutable Truth!

TJQ

What I mean is the MNR would love to clean the pike out of Balsam/Mitchell/Canal, but how many musky would erroneously (or not) get killed if the ministry basically said "give'r boys, fill yer boots with pike"?

Would not work even if they wanted to try.

They have been similar efforts in the past to wipe out established invasive species, never works. Once they are there it is too late.

They are harmful fish when they are invasive but once they are in, start working on the next lake. :(

Most pike in Balsam are 3 inches long, not 3 feet, hard to wipe out non-angling size fish with regular tackle.

The good news is the wallee population :) has come back nicely in Balsam, you might even find some pickeral or Dore in there depending on what generation or province you come from.

Watch out for the pike perch and you may catch the elusive logperch if your lucky.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/460315/pike-perch

http://www.rook.org/earl/bwca/nature/fish/percinacap.html

:whistling:

Edited by Michael Brown

Funny they didn't know the other types of Trout, just Lake Trout and Rainbow.

Where did all the Black Bass go? Small Mouth and Large Mouth must be an invasive species.

Black Bass Tournaments, is that like a Rock Bass Tournament. :sarcasm:

Black Bass Boat :w00t:

Pickerel Boat :w00t:

Black Dacron line and the old Pal minnow bucket

1941, the good old days. :thumbsup_anim:

North of French River - pickeral

South of French River and U.S.A. - walleye

Uber Sophisticated Fisherpeople - Dore (making something 'French' sounding adds a touch of distinction and can generally be used to sell concepts to female partners - French windows, French dressing, French doors, French urinals..)

I was browsing through a recent issue of Field and Stream Magazine, a US based publication, also known the FOX News of Outdoor magazines (.. ok maybe that is a bad example...)

I came across an insert on the years Canadian Fishing Regulations.. and lo and behold there is no mention of the imposter "walleye", but only the venerable mighty "pickerel" is mentioned.

Hmmfff.. CASE CLOSED

1941fishingregsa.jpg

www.pickerelcentral.com

"Long Live the Mighty Canadian Pickerel"

PICKERAL

Chain_Pickerel_large.jpg

pickerel (pickerel (walleye))

pickerel%20%28pickerel%20%28walleye%29%29.jpg

Just saying :whistling:

Nice LOL :rolleyes:

Exactly, where I grew up a pickerel is the top picture.

How can you call something what it isn't? My truck is a Dodge but who's the moron if you call it a Ford?

In 1941 the name Walleye was still a pretty new handle for what was called most often a pickeral.

http://www.ontariowalleyefishing.com/walleye-biology.html

Fishing Lake Erie out of Port Colborne in the 50's with my dad, he simply referred to them as Yellows and Blues, short for Yellow and Blue Pickeral, the Americans just the other side of the Peace Bridge called them yellow and blue pike. Dad was darn good pickeral fisherman, he always trolled with a Pfluger " Rocket" trolling reel loaded with about 15 lb. monel wire, 3 way swivel , appropriate weight on a dropper and usually either a June Bug spinner or a Gibb's Tee-Spoon spinner with a crawler on a longish lead. He'd produce fish all summer even when others couldn't get down to them. :clapping:

Edited by dave524

And the Junebug, as old as it is , is still an excellent bait.

I got a few of those Junebug spinners in the old tackle box i brought home with me last time i went home.

Going back up in 2 weeks to clean out Dads old workshop. Mom is giving me everything in it.That should be good for a few tearssad.gif