FEW BASS BOAT QUESTIONS

NEVER OWNED A BOAT IN MY LIFE AND WOULD LIKE TO ASK A FEW OF THE EXPERIENCED BASS BOAT OWNERS TWO QUESTIONS.

FIRST OFF ID DIE TO BUY BRAND NEW BUT I HAVE A HIGH MAINTENCE WIFE SO NOT NEW FOR ME LOL

NOW SAYING THE BOAT IS IN GREAT SHAPE IS A 1991 20FT ASTRO WITH NO MOTOR WITH A 101MINKOTA ON IT WORTH 4000$?????

SECONDLY AND I KNOW THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT AND COSTLY PARTS BUT WHAT WOULD BE THE MINIMUM SIZE YOU WOULD PUT ON A BOAT THAT BIG??? YES ID LOVE A 300 YAMAHA BUT BACK TO REALITY NOW LOL

TX FOR ANY FEEDBACK

I think it all depends on what your expectations are for a boat that is 20 years old. What type of lakes are you planning on fishing and how much money can you drop on a motor? Are you planning on buying a new engine for a 20 year old boat? or would you be looking for a deal on a used engine?

For a 20ft boat, you could easily go as low as a 150, but again, it depends largely on what your expectations are and the lakes you plan on fishing. If you want your boat to run in the high 60's - low 70's, a 150 isn't going to do it. If you plan on fishing some of the bigger lakes in rougher weather, a 150 on a 20ft rig can be a little dangerous as the engine will have a hard time lifting the bow regardless of how good your prop and motor are set up. Still doable though. $4000 grand could be a good price, depends on the condition of the hull and gel coat as well as the pumps, electrical, carpet, etc. A boat that old will have stress cracks, no big deal, they all get them, so long as they aren't structural. The transom is another area to pay very close attention to.

Here's a boat that WAS for sale on BFB. Didn't last more than a couple days, just to give you an idea of what is possible in that price range. http://www.bigfatbass.com/bfbclassifieds/index.php?p=detail&id=94

Lastly, check the states, buying a boat down there isn't difficult and you can save thousands if you do your research and know what you're looking for.

Here is a link so you can sort of compare pricing http://boats.oodle.com/1991+-astro/

Question? the boat has a trailer? A 150hp motor should easily get you 50mph set up properly. If you think about it, it`s sort of hard to get fish to bite at 50 mph?

50 mph is got to get you around nicely on most bodies of water, you may be at a disadvantage if you plan on tournament fishing all the time, but I was competitive running a 35 hp motor here, on an aluminum boat though.

You need to look at the plate on the boat for the maximum HP rating.

If you over power it your insurance company will not cover it.

A half decent motor will cost you $6,000-$10,000.

I think for that kind of money you can get a complete package, without the head aches of getting a motor and getting it mounted.

scott take a pass

more often then not boats of that age have issues with transom rot or stringer rot.

Spend a bit more and get a rig that has less chances of such things

I second this! If you are fishing smaller lakes, i.e. kawarthas and maybe big water once in a blue moon like Simcoe or Lake O, then maybe look at a 18fter with a 150. You can find a half decent boat like this for a fairly good price. Do not get caught up in the speed deal, be practical. A smaller boat is easier to fish the Junk anyways.

Good Luck

scott take a pass

more often then not boats of that age have issues with transom rot or stringer rot.

Spend a bit more and get a rig that has less chances of such things

I'm gonna agree with aniceguy too. If you start out with a 20 year old boat you could be getting yourself into a whole bunch of problems. You should be able to buy a newer, complete rig for a decent price if you do some shopping.

Yep what they said. But as to my pm to you,that ranger I had, was solid, even being an 87.

Like drew asked,what are your intentions Scott? Small lake tourneys or just pleasure? You know,sometimes size dosent matter.LOL

The time on a boat is counted as the time on the water and how it is stored. Since the motor was damaged It tells me either a lack of maintenance or to much time on the water. Their are good 20 year old boats out their but they need to be researched and examined by a professional before you plunk down your money.

Art

If the boat has been looked after and garage stored its entire life then you might have a good boat. Does it come with the motor controls? If there Merc controls dont go and buy a yammy cause the controls will set you back. A boat that size... I would look for something in the 200 hp range because nothing sucks more then an under powered bass boat. I have seen lots of boats that age that are in great shape because they have been stored properly. Like anything if its been ridin hard and put away wet it usually aint pretty.

Any thing under the plate rating turns your boat into a slug. That Astro I believe was rated for 200 and was a very high sided boat. Probably not a great scugog boat.

I wouldn't buy anything that I couldn't test drive.

"Things" Compression test. Buy one at princes auto $15. The rule is all cylinders with in 10%.

Take bottom lower unit oil screw out water or milky is $500.

Look at all the head bolts for signs of wrenches.

Look at the water pisser strong and crisp. Theirs some good pressure so press your finger on it and see. $100 for impeller if you can do work.

Little fine gel coat crack are nothing the problem ones are obvious. Get up there and walk around bounce up and down if it feels spongee run. Get under that boat with a flash light.

The trailer, 4 tires $500, 4 trailer bearings $200 and labor if you can't do it. So jack it up spin those tires, grasp top and bottom check for movement. No clunk.

And that's off the top of my head.

Make sure the prop is adequate see lot's of guys keep there best prop.

Get a load tester and learn how to use. All 36 volt strollers plus starter is 4 battery's. You can mess around but the good ones are $160 a crack"$700". Scugog eats battery's like chicken fingers.

Edited by Garnet

Unless you personally know a boat only deal I would steer clear of it.....I am a strong believe you should NEVER purchase a boat without test driving it...would you buy a used car without test driving it ?

With high gas prices again this year there probably will be a lot of boats hitting the market now that the weather is improving...give yourself time and LOOK AROUND...don't get stuck in "it's a deal" without first looking around and seeing many other options. Then you will know if it's a deal or not.

Good Luck,

Bob

I'm of a different opinion than some - if that's what you can afford - go for it. I started out in a boat that was leaky - barely could get on plane with 2 people and full livewells - was a visual eyesore to all and was kindly nicknamed - the "deathtrap" - by my friends. It sank twice and a trailer wheel fell off on the 401. Ah, good times. But, without it I woulda been boatless.

It's easy for people with a boat to tell ya to wait for a different deal - but once the boat is yours, you can drive it like it's stolen cuz after all it won't have warranty but it will be insured. :)

Charles

Lots of good points to consider. Buying a $4k boat will probably end up costing you $11-15k by the time it has a used motor, used trolling motor, used electronics and new batteries, if the trailer needs work then add another grand. So, what can you get for $15k?? What about stretching it out to $20-25k?? You don't need a 20 ft'r, a nice 18-19ft'r with a 150-200 on the back would be a ton of fun and much more reasonable on the pocketbook. An old boat has a lot more potential for problems then a newer boat. Especially when you are talking about one that's 20 years old. Another thing to consider is the plumbing, does the livewell work correctly, does it leak? Too many if's. Buy something you can take for a test drive or at least get with some sort of a warranty.

Good luck on your search, you'll find something nice. You don't need to jump on the first one you see.

I'm of a different opinion than some - if that's what you can afford - go for it. I started out in a boat that was leaky - barely could get on plane with 2 people and full livewells - was a visual eyesore to all and was kindly nicknamed - the "deathtrap" - by my friends. It sank twice and a trailer wheel fell off on the 401. Ah, good times. But, without it I woulda been boatless.

It's easy for people with a boat to tell ya to wait for a different deal - but once the boat is yours, you can drive it like it's stolen cuz after all it won't have warranty but it will be insured. :)

Charles

I can see your points and buy into them except insurance on a 20 year old boat. That doesn't make sense to me. :dunno:

I'd also be inclined to take a pass. But if you're still seriously thinking about it, hire a certified marine surveyor go over it with a fine tooth comb before you sign on the dotted line. If there are issues, the surveyor will find them. And if they miss something, they will typically cover the repair bill.

20 year old bass boat .... I would almost guarantee they will find things.

I can see your points and buy into them except insurance on a 20 year old boat. That doesn't make sense to me. :dunno:

I had a 94 Lund that got totalled and was able to get a better boat with the insurance money. So it makes sense to me. :)

Charles

I would not put anything on the back less than a 200,you will be dissapointed with a 150.With that said ask what happened to the old motor it could be an indicator how the rig was treated in general.Dont be afraid of ANYTHING be it car,boat or truck because of its age.I owned a 20 year old bass boat for years and it was in mint condition.It is how they are maintained and driven.I have fished along side two year old boats that were a disgrace.I have owned many bass boats over the years and still do.They absolutely do not all get stress cracks in the gel coat sooner or later so dont fall for that line.

Personally I would not buy an Astro but thats just me.Ranger,Basscat,Champion and Stratos are tops for me.Driving the boat is a must as you might not like the way it handles.Look up Chine walking and you will get the idea.

A marine surveyor is a good idea along with having someone who knows bass boats go with you to look it over.As mentioned previously there is alot ot consider on bass boat other than hull and motor.Take those into consideration when deciding on your purchase.

Where are you located? If the boat is close enough I can go with you to look at it if you like.

My boat is a 1989 Astro FDX that is just under 19'. I have a Merc 150 (max 175 max rated) and it runs the boat at 58mph with fishing gear full gas tanks and two guys. The 4K sounds a bit high without an engine so do a search for book value. My boat is in great condition and has always been garaged. The only time it is not garaged is when I'm fishing or at a lodge for a fishing trip. I certainly would not buy a new motor. My motor choice would be the largest the boat is rated for and if that is 200 I would settle for a 175 but no smaller.

No stress cracks in my boat as yet.

Is the TM and other electrical gear in good working order? If not figure on replacing. In the 1989 to 1990+/- time frame Astro and Procraft were built by Brunswick Marine I can't recall the company that bought them but since the Astro and Procraft bass boats were identical the Astro was dropped as a bass boat.

My boat is stable and being high sided for a bass boat it hndles rough water pretty well and depending on drivers skill has a dry ride.

I had a 94 Lund that got totalled and was able to get a better boat with the insurance money. So it makes sense to me. :)

Charles

But the '91 is already 3 year older then your Lund...how long ago did your Lund get totaled (how old was it). I still wouldn't insure a 20 year old boat but for those who want to I would ask the insurance company if totaled what would I get for it right now....that would be a deciding factor big time.

BTW who makes a better boat then LUND ??? :dunno:

Going Fishing,

Bob