Broke through the ice with my ATV on Saturday

Big Cliff

I was out on the lake on Saturday with my ATV, 20"+ of solid ice right over the chanel where there is current so I figured things must be fairly solid in most areas. I decided to head back into Goose Bay to a shallow area thinking that the perch and crappie might be staging for spawning. Now this is an area where there is no current but it is fairly shallow.

I am clipping along on my ATV and I suddenly realize that that dark spot I just passed within 5'of is open water; thought to myself, must be a spring there, whew! And on I went.

Got back into the bay and checked things out, Lots of ice but no luck so I decided to head back for home. I made a mental note to stear well clear of that "spring" and away I went.

As I was heading back out of the bay I realized that there seemed to be quite a few "springs" (turned out that where ever there were stumps even thought hey weren't up through the ice, there were holes) then it happened; my back wheels dropped through the ice. Fortunatly I was moving fast enough that the skid plate caught and slid me back up onto the ice and I managed to make it the rest of the way back without any problems but that was too close for comfort. I was a long way out there with no one to help if I did get into trouble.

Anyway, I am one of the lucky ones, could have been the front end that broke through, at 25 mph I'm sure they would have been sending someone to rescue me at some point.

Just goes to show, doesn't matter how well you know the area, doesn't matter how many people have gone through there before you, doesn't matter how careful you are, accidents can happen!

Jeeze Cliff ... be careful out there .. or better yet STAY off the ice until next season ...Shallow lakes are dodgy even in the dead of winter !

We really don't want to hear any more tragedies !

Edited by camillj

Glad you're alright.......if I had a close call like that I would call it a season....just saying...

We all forget that a LOT of warmer waters are now constantly being pumped into the lakes from all streams, rivers, springs, etc.....this is the main reason the ice melts so fast.

I'm waiting for Chautauqua Lake to melt....last report I have is over a foot of ice but I'm betting dollars to donuts I'll be on that like on or before April 1st....history has proven that to me over and over......soonest was March 13th.

Play it safe and wait for the soft water,

Bob

Wow, I'm really glad you made it back safe and sound Cliff. Do you take a cell phone with you on these solo outtings? Might be an idea hon!

I do Joey although I kind of wonder if the front had gone down, would I have been in any shape to use it. Even if I was, how could I ask someone else to risk their life to come and get me knowing that it would be unsafe for them too.

I don't knowingly take chances, if I had even thought that there might have been any dangerous areas I wouldn't have gone, lesson learned for the future!

Wow Cliff!!!ohmy.gif

That was a close call.The stumps must warm up in the sun cause they are darker than the surrounding water, then cause the water to warm up enough to melt the ice around them.

Be safe, glad you weren't hurt or worse.

Wow Cliff!!!ohmy.gif

That was a close call.The stumps must warm up in the sun cause they are darker than the surrounding water, then cause the water to warm up enough to melt the ice around them.

Be safe, glad you weren't hurt or worse.

Good point mercman, I just took an ice safety course through work and this was one of the points the instructor stressed can cause ice failure. Another big one was rotting vegetation, and anyone that knows goose bay knows about all the rotting vegetation, and it was mentioned about springs which is a big one on a lake that hasn't been travelled too much before in the winter.

I have a buddy that lives on Scugog, and he knows the areas where the springs are and steers clear of them.

I think it's gonna take some time to learn the ice conditions for all these new kawartha lakes that are open for the hardwater now.

Anyway, I am one of the lucky ones, could have been the front end that broke through, at 25 mph I'm sure they would have been sending someone to rescue me at some point.

Not to worry Cliff, if the front had gone through you would have been thrown well away from the water hazard ;)

I'm glad you were able to share the story; it might prevent someone from doing the same.

Just goes to show, doesn't matter how well you know the area, doesn't matter how many people have gone through there before you, doesn't matter how careful you are, accidents can happen!

Sure glad to hear you got out okay.

I think back to when we used to race cars on the ice. Seems to me Young's Point was a popular spot back in the day. Imagine the load on the ice with a dozen cars all racing together and the rest w/people sitting there on the ice. Whew!!!

JF

Good thing Steve or I wern't sitting on the back or we would have ended up on the bottom for sure...whistling.gif

Not that I'm insinuating that we all are(ahem) overweight or sumpin'...canadian.gif

Good to hear you made it home OK...

Glad you made it back safely! You say it nicely in your original post....accidents happen. But they happen way too often than they need to! Seeing what's happening above the ice is one thing but underneath the ice surface, it's a whole other story! Water currents are difficult to predict - especially their effect on the ice. This time of year it's always a gamble...with your life!

Stay safe

I think back to when we used to race cars on the ice. Seems to me Young's Point was a popular spot back in the day. Imagine the load on the ice with a dozen cars all racing together and the rest w/people sitting there on the ice. Whew!!!

JF

John, I'm thinking you may have been racing on some VERY thin ice back then.

I had a house trailer just south of Youngs Point on Katchawanooka for 36 years and it has alot of current all year long and never gets more than a skim of ice, even on the coldest days and we wouldn't even run our snowmobiles on it.

Clear Lake to the north also has some current, especially on the south end near Youngs Point where it gets pretty strong approaching the dam. Even now I live just 2 miles north of there and never see anyone on the ice at all with the exception of a few snowmobiles running very close to shore, infact I don't even see any ice huts out there.

You must be one lucky dood :thumbsup_anim:

And Cliff, really happy to hear your still with us, that musta been quite a shock when you broke through.