Instructor

BITEME

I just found out yesterday that I have been 1 of 10 chosen by the CGA and CCGA out of the Central Arctic Region to be trained as a Search and Rescue Instructor for the CCGA.

This is way outside my comfort zone and Im really nervous but excited at the same time :blink: . I just recieved the course material yesterday and as I read through it I thought I was going to pass out. Small groups and one on one training I have been told I do very well at now I will be standing at the front of the class doing training which is really freaking me out. So I have tightened my boots pulled up my pants and Im ready to rock. I am very hounred for being selected for this and will give my best to make it the right choice.

Peter :good:

Edited by BITEME.Esq

From different chats you and I have had Pete, I can't see you ever being intimidated by anything and you should be pretty darned proud of yourself !!

To be chosen over so many guys for this position says an awful lot for both your knowledge and your character.

Congrats my friend !!!!

I just found out yesterday that I have been 1 of 10 chosen by the CGA and CCGA out of the Central Arctic Region to be trained as a Search and Rescue Instructor for the CCGA.

This is way outside my comfort zone and Im really nervous but excited at the same time :blink: . I just recieved the course material yesterday and as I read through it I thought I was going to pass out. Small groups and one on one training I have been told I do very well at now I will be standing at the front of the class doing training which is really freaking me out. So I have tightened my boots pulled up my pants and Im ready to rock. I am very hounred for being selected for this and will give my best to make it the right choice.

Peter :good:

Good for you, and don't worry about nerves in front of an audience. It's natural when you haven't done it before.

I was a terrible public speaker all my life. My mouth got dry and my memory failed me completely if I had to address a crowd of more than 3. Three or less and you couldn't hold me back though.

Then a few years ago I agreed to accept an assignment as a pre-licence instructor for the Ontario Real Estate Association. I was scared to death frankly. But I was kind of painted into a corner.

Turns out that about 10 minutes into my first class (29 strangers in a ciy 50 kliks from home) I was so engrossed in the material that I forgot to be nervous. I ended up hiring one of those students a couple of years later and she told me I didn't look or sound nervous at all. If they had only known.

Here are some things that helped me:

1. Dress properly so you don't feel like you look out of place. I expect you might be in uniform which makes that easy.

2. Know your material. Obviously someone thinks you do know the material or you wouldn't have been chosen. Knowledge is confidence. If you really know your material you will be confident and even if you draw a blank on a question you don't need to feel embarrassed because no one knows everything. Don't lie. Admit you don't know the answer to a question but make sure you bring the answer to class asap. The key is to show your students that you know more than them about the subject at hand. They'll respect that.

3. Tell personal experience stories that will help the students relate to the situations they will encounter. You can even invent some of the facts or the happy ending as long as no one can catch you at it. The point is to make the experience a positive learning experience for them.

4. Relax. If you are uptight the class will sense it and that's how they'll be. I know it's easy to say that but there are ways. Have a bottle or glass of water near at hand so if you feel like you're struggling just take a few seconds to take a sip while you figure out what comes next.

5. Smile and make a few jokes. Not the kind you memorize and drag out at cocktail parties. Just silly little off the cuff comments. Usually there's one student who has a sense of humour and likes some attention so take a few gentle digs at him but be very very careful with this. I usually get the student aside at break and just make sure they think it's funny too. If you misread the student you could have a big problem.

6. Take charge. On the first day of every new class I start off with a Power Point slide introducing me and listing my qualifications. The second slide is the rules of order for the class. Then I make sure they toe the line. I'm not a jerk about it but if someone is doing something disruptive I'll just stop and stare at them with a neutral expression like "Obviously what you're doing is more important than what I'm doing so we'll just wait till you're done". Not all instructors agree with this method but it works for me. Once the student realizes that we're all staring at him/her they tend to get a little flustered and then I say something like "Let's try to keep the interruptions to a minimum or we won't get done on time. Thanks." It usually works.

7. Never be publically critical of students. If you have a problem with someone take them aside at break and lay down the law. I've even stopped a class (once) and asked the student to come out in the hall with me, not to fight btw. They have to know you're in charge.

Those are my rules for working a class. Try them. They work great for me. And have fun. I wish I'd started this stuff years ago. These days I can hardly wait to get back in front of a class. It becomes addictive.

JF

Congratulations Peter, you should be very proud.

Great advice John, I too was mortified the first time.

Peter, I can only offer you this. Look the part, act the part, with confidence. Be more prepared than you think you need to be. Pick out someone to focus on......a friendly face.

Lots of good advice in this thread.

When I was in school speaking in front of the class was not something I was comfortable with at all.

Jump forward into the military & when I went onto a leadership/instructor course i was still not completely confident speaking in front of larger groups. Then the solution hit me :D know your subject very well so when you speak or answer questions you are completely confident in your responses. With this comes confidence in instructing. One big point to remember is never B /S. If you get a question your not completely sure of the answer don't guess but admit it with the caveat you will find out the right answer & get back to them. Make sure you do follow up this.

Confidence comes with knowledge.

As for

Pick out someone to focus on......a friendly face.
this will work if you don't over do it. If you seem to concentrate too much on only one person or a small group of them than the rest of the class may feel left out. Not a good thing.

Once you get use to speaking in front of groups it stays with you. I now instruct for St. John Ambulance.

Best Wishes: Rick

Edited by Woodsman

Thanks everybody for all the great words of support as I write this I am pounding away at the course material and going through things I have not looked at in awhile but do practice. As proud as I am to have been selected for this I have even more pride to be associated with the fantastic people on this site I will update when it is all said and done

Thank you from the bottom of my heart

Peter