Costco Membership

scugpg

Well I'm finally considering a Costco membership this year and was wondering what you guys think of the membership. Are you happy with the product there? Do you think its worth the membership?

I was also wondering if there are discounts or promotions that are run that can save you $ off the membership.

Thanks in advance!

My mother and I split the gold membership, $100 a year, and shop together. She pays her bill, I pay mine, then at the end of the year, I get the rebate, which is good toward the renewal membership. This year it was $98.00, so pretty much pays for itself. Cigarettes are the best price there and there are many good camping/sports items, tools etc. Good place to get meat, coffee, pop, milk, water, basically stuff you use every day is worth it. Then when you need a big ticket item, also good (TV's, monitors, matresses, freezers, jewellery for the wife :whistling:;) )

I find it worth it, Paul may beg to differ :lol:

I found for just me and the wife it wasn't worth the hassle or line ups. Plus we live in a condo so storage space is at a premium.

I personally liked sams club better, too bad they went under.

People with larger families and more patience may have a better experience.

Our membership fee to Sam's Club (no Costco here) is $35 but the fire department picks up the tab for me.....but one big purchase would easily pay off the membership fee....took my sister in-law to purchase her big screen TV and she saved $80.00 plus tax.

Also Sam's club has the BEST meat available around here and MUCH better prics...of course I have to buy 15 pork chops or 4 rib eye steaks all at once but I vacuum pack it and salt it away for another day.

I will say this, the prices have climb in recent years so sometimes Sam's Club is not always the best deal, like beer....Rite Aid (drug store) beats Sam's Club EVERY DAY in beer prices. But on average Sam's Club is a good deal.

Bob

I think if you shop there regularly enough, the worst case is you will break even. I am not sure how much you will save though, it really depends on your shopping habits and what you purchase. Maybe if you have a big family or if you are looking at some big ticket items like TV, computer, flooring, tires it might make it more worth while. I believe they have a good warranty for things like TVs as well.

I have been going a few years now,shop for two only,it pays for itself over the year,but don't get to thinking everything is a bargain,because it isn't.You have to know prices before picking up everything you want to buy.And somethings they are only there for a short time and you may never see that item again.

I would say no, the wife would say yes. Gas is 3-5 cents a litre cheaper, thier electronics are way too expensive compared to best buy or future shop, and the food is BULK. I do love their coffee though Kirkland roasted by StarBucksclapping.gif in the red bagthumbsup_anim.gif

It's worth it for the steaks alone!

We have the "Executive" card and it almost pays for itself. Membership is $100/yr and we just received a cheque from Costco for $86. Prescription drug dispensing fees are about the lowest you'll find as well ($4.xx) but drugs aren't included in the 2% cashback deal. Propane refill is $10.xx

Best of all is the free buffet lunch ;)

Yes. worth it. You buy more and you eat more but generally the stuff is good. I buy gas there all the time and 3 cents a liter on regular ad I have seen it up to 7 cents per liter cheaper on premium. FOr me that is worth it. I also have the Amex card from there which counts as my membership and makes bbuying gas really easy. Only one card to swipe. I also collected like 50 bucks to be used at costco by using the amex card this year so it kind of pays for itself like exec membership.

Plus when my kids get hungry we just go there and walk around and snack on all the samples. lol

Edited by Cudz

My wife used to shop at the Scarboro store when we lived down there and I went with her one time and never again. After we paid for our purchases and were leaving the store we were stopped by a couple guys at the door who wanted to check the stuff in the box to make sure it was the same as what was on my bill, basically calling me a thief as far as I was concerned. I told him to stuff it and he wasn't checking anything and kept right on going and never shopped at that store again. My wife said that was normal practice but isn't something I'd ever put up with.

Another time my daughter went in the same Scarboro store for something but they didn't have it so she left. When she got to the door, the "goon squad" asked where her purchases were and when she said she didn't buy anything, they told her to open her purse so they could be sure she wasn't stealing anything. My daughter went ballistic and called for the manager. He came down and ordered the morons to apologise to her in front of everyone.

I've been in the Peterboro store recentely and it's a totally different ballgame. Very friendly folks who actually seem to enjoy helping the customers and don't treat them like thieves.

Only good thing about my wife having a membership with the Scarboro store was when I bought a new F-150 last year I got $1000 discount for it.

Edited by lew

I would say no, the wife would say yes. Gas is 3-5 cents a litre cheaper, thier electronics are way too expensive compared to best buy or future shop, and the food is BULK. I do love their coffee though Kirkland roasted by StarBucksclapping.gif in the red bagthumbsup_anim.gif

I just bought a plasma from Costco and found their prices to be the same of very slightly lower than FS/BB. You get a second year of warranty for free as well and you have to pay for that at FS/BB. Ours doesn't sell gas, but does sell propane, this is a few bucks cheaper a fill as well compared to Crappy Tire.

Burt :)

We've had a membership for a couple years now (since the Peterborough store opened) and we've bought lotsa stuff (ice-hut, gas auger, computer, lotsa propane... come to mind).

Like someone mentioned, you gotta know your prices, but overall, most things are a good deal. I find many times they have "quality" items at very reasonable prices, but sometimes not for long (like the ice huts & augers). Very rarely do you see any "cheap crap" in the aisles. Basic groceries are reasonable (milk, pop, meat, etc.) but many times grocery store specials are better.

I bought my led there 3 months ago for 500$ less than what FS/BB were selling it for, not to mention that I used AMEX to pay for it which gave me an additional year warranty for free (3 yrs total). 3 years warranty on a tv at FS/BB is like 400+.

If you keep an eye out for the sales, there is very good deals to be had. Me and the wife go weekly.

Their return policy cannot be beat either. I have personally seen people bring back tv's with the warranty expired and costco still gave them a considerable amount of money towards a new one.

A no brainer for me. I have a young family and use our membership for diapers, wipes, clothing, cereal, bananas, drinking boxes etc..

Also everyday things like Milk, bread, hummus, fruit, coffee is amazing deal, etc..

The meat can not be beat IMO. I buy the top sirlion AAA and half each steak, except for mine of course, and get a few meals out of it for around 17 bucks. Also buy the whole pork lion, slice it up and get 5 or 6 meals for 15 bucks. And the ground beef for $13 we get 4 meals out of. And always grab a roasted chicken for 6.50.

Recently we got our 2 yr old a twin Sealy mattress for $200.

We have returned a few things with zero issues. One time the ground beef turned quickly and they replaced it with two.

Worth checking out for sure.

The Kirkland coffee is real good, prices for meat and frozen goods are marginally better than normal supermarkets, snacks/candy are priced good, and you can get a full stomach on the free samples they give away.

It's ok, but the savings are not the greatest to be honest... As always, if you want the best food prices, you have to shop around, Costco maybe cheaper in some areas, but also the same or more expensive in others...

Buy a membership for a year, and see how you like it.

I'm a bargain shopper. It comes naturally. Depending on which dictionary you look into...if you hunt up the word cheap...you will see either a picture of my mother, father or myself :whistling:

Have checked out all these stores as they came along..Price Club, Costco, Sam's Club. Never found them to save me anything over my already.. um..refined...spending habits.

I can 100% agree with the quality of there meat. A fellow hockey dad was the head butcher at a Costco we went to. There meat was fantastic...but we didn't save anything buying it there.

We gave up our membership once the kids were out of diapers. The meat there is very good, the produce, not so bad but you have to know your prices because the fruits and veggies can be very expensive. You always end up buying stuff that wasn't on your shopping list. When Price Club Costco started, they changed all the packaging on everything, instead of a 24 of Coca Cola, it became an 18 and you saved a buck, everyone thought it was a great deal, actually, it cost you more per can. Laundry detergent, dry goods, canned goods, the list goes on and on. They drove all the suppliers crazy with their demands to change the standardised packaging. They build their stores for free, the membership goes towards contstruction. I'm not a big fan but as mentioned above, there are perks, like the buffet, the Ford discount, etc.... Catch it on the right day and you can skip lunch and dinner. If you want to save money, know your unit cost, not the cost per package, you need to know the cost per can.

definately know your prices -- there's deals and there's not-so-deals. stick to the stuff they have in the edges of the aisles on 'sale' and you'll do ok. quality of meat is excellent. if you drink bottled water, kirkland brand is the best deal going.

Their strip loins are the BEST... actually all of their meat is 2nd to none im my books...

I got my ice auger there this year and it was priced lower than cost at many retailers, so I am happy.

As has been mentioned, you gotta know your prices... but, they do have one off deals that the stores get and they can be great deals, if the timing is right.

Kirland batteries are great, half price compared to anything else and my kids go through batteries like Carter goes through pills.

Pick up one of their Strip loin roasts, cook it properly and then ask me if the membership is worth it!

HH

Edited by Headhunter