Upcoming snow storm.. (NF) Finally got an answer!

Gerritt

If upon inspection a MTO / OPP officer deemed the tires do not meet the requirement for road worthy.. There is no snow tire requirement. Depending on the tires there should be a marker where they need replacing

The MTO or OPP states the vehicle is not road worthy

or

If the OPP / MTO closed the roads due to unsafe conditions.

Other than that a refusal to work would be grounds for termination.

Make the personal choice to not go / not go and deal with the fall out.

You know...in major snows people are shocked that I show up at work. Not only that, when the snow shuts us down people are shocked that I don't crash at the office or in a hotel. What gives? Its only snow.

I would think that crashing at the office might be uncomfortable, concrete does not make a good mattress :whistling::rofl2: And besides the wait staff at your office are not very friendly.

I missed your point Dan.

Would you call in sick, due to a snow storm?? :wallbash::rolleyes: How about refuse to work.....because you had to drive in it??

I wouldn't and haven't done either. I was just stating a few facts. Have a looky at my profile and see where I live and work. On Wednesday I'll be driving over 350 miles to go to my job on roads that you probably have never or will ever drive on. I spent a grand today on tires just to get me there. Your turn.

Depends on where you live. In this area you take your life in your hands when you get behind the wheel after a major dump of snow.

You're at the mercy of every reckless idiot who doesn't know how to drive.

We had a minor dump recently, nothing major, but the roads were snow covered.

It was 7am and I think to myself, perfect time to head over to Home Depot and brouse around, there won't be a soul on the road.

I put the truck in 4 wheel, sip my coffee, and leisurely drive over to the store. Totally enjoying the snow covered roads and blowing snow.

I get to the main road where the entrance to HD is. There's one vehicle in front of me also turning left to go in.

I'm keeping my distance leaving about 2 car lengths between us.

Just as both of us are about to start turning left on an advanced green I see a red Honda approaching rapidly in the right lane, doing at least 80km.

I figured he was going to blast right through the intersection but when he came abreast of me he put his left indicator on, swung wide, and tried to squeeze in front of me right in the middle of the intersection.

I laid on the horn and was afraid to brake and start sliding all over the place.

I would've absolutely hit him if he had pulled off his stupid manouver.

He swings even wider, his back end fishtailing all over the place and pulls in behind me.

It was like a scene out of Dukes Of Hazzard :lol:

I'm trying to stay calm but it's hard since he's flashing his lights at me non stop and blaring his horn inches from my rear bumper.

My blood pressure rose even higher when he followed me into the empty Home Depot parking lot, pulled in right behind me and jumped out of his car.

He looked to be 19 or 20 to me, driving one of those uber gay souped up Honda Civics.

There's more to the story but I'll end it here. :lol:

I HATE driving here when there's snow on the roads.

I wouldn't and haven't done either. I was just stating a few facts. Have a looky at my profile and see where I live and work. On Wednesday I'll be driving over 350 miles to go to my job on roads that you probably have never or will ever drive on. I spent a grand today on tires just to get me there. Your turn.

Umm...my cat's breath smells like cat food

I'd expect nothing less from YOU Dan. I know where you live, and what you do for a living too. I'm not new around here. I also fork out the cash and run the best tires I can afford, and yes, I run dedicated snow tires in the winter, always have, always will!

I thought your comments were directed at me, since you quoted my last reply. :dunno:

Did you miss MY point?? I would never miss a day of work, due to weather!! I'd never miss a fishing trip due to weather either. I guess I kinda like the adventure of it all :canadian:

Safe travels!!

S

my sales people and I will be off the roads on wednesday. an injured employee is more expensive then one day off work. they can all do paper work, myself included.

cheers!

What if the storm misses us and you have to cancel your plans?? You must have something planned for the day, right? Going fishing??

Get to work, slackers!!!

S.

Me man. Me scared of what people think of me. Might laugh, make me feel bad. What word priorities mean? Me not strong enough to say no.

Me think my job soooo important. Me have no identity with-out my job. :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1:

I make ALL my decisions for myself and nobody tells me what's right for me and my family. Feel free to make our own, just shut-up about it already.

Did you miss MY point?? I would never miss a day of work, due to weather!! I'd never miss a fishing trip due to weather either. I guess I kinda like the adventure of it all :canadian:

Safe travels!!

S

Got it Sinker. All's good here Bud.

You have the right to refuse unsafe work, period.

You are correct, I'm certified, but an investigation has to take place before a ruling is made, it's a process that has to be

followed.

most employers will take conditions into considerations, I hope.

If possible work from home or push work back until it blows over.

Personally, I have one daughter and family coming to my home. I do not want them to travel in such conditions

I will consider my options when I see what happens during the evening; no fun driving to King and Dufferin from Klienburg.

Damn I miss my 1970 Massy Ferguson snowmobile LOL

Stay safe, Thursday is looking sunny and cold.

Depends on where you live. In this area you take your life in your hands when you get behind the wheel after a major dump of snow.

You're at the mercy of every reckless idiot who doesn't know how to drive.

We had a minor dump recently, nothing major, but the roads were snow covered.

It was 7am and I think to myself, perfect time to head over to Home Depot and brouse around, there won't be a soul on the road.

I put the truck in 4 wheel, sip my coffee, and leisurely drive over to the store. Totally enjoying the snow covered roads and blowing snow.

I get to the main road where the entrance to HD is. There's one vehicle in front of me also turning left to go in.

I'm keeping my distance leaving about 2 car lengths between us.

Just as both of us are about to start turning left on an advanced green I see a red Honda approaching rapidly in the right lane, doing at least 80km.

I figured he was going to blast right through the intersection but when he came abreast of me he put his left indicator on, swung wide, and tried to squeeze in front of me right in the middle of the intersection.

I laid on the horn and was afraid to brake and start sliding all over the place.

I would've absolutely hit him if he had pulled off his stupid manouver.

He swings even wider, his back end fishtailing all over the place and pulls in behind me.

It was like a scene out of Dukes Of Hazzard laugh.gif

I'm trying to stay calm but it's hard since he's flashing his lights at me non stop and blaring his horn inches from my rear bumper.

My blood pressure rose even higher when he followed me into the empty Home Depot parking lot, pulled in right behind me and jumped out of his car.

He looked to be 19 or 20 to me, driving one of those uber gay souped up Honda Civics.

There's more to the story but I'll end it here. laugh.gif

I HATE driving here when there's snow on the roads.

So they drive like asses in Ontario tooohmy.gif Aren't you luckyclapping.gif Next time dont let your blood pressure go up. Do like i do, blow him a kiss and make the sign for him to call you

rofl2.gif

The employee can call in sick(stress), or be honest and say they don't feel comfortable, which, I wouldn't think the employer wouldn't have to pay the employee, unless roads are actually closed. So it's either a sick day, a day without pay or different job duty, a vacation day, or take the risks(any accident is covered by the employers insurance though).

My company is good. Living up here in Bruce County, each year staff gets stuck at work for 2-3days. Everybody gets double time after their first shift is over, untill they leave. If we are on company business, and roads are closed up in B.C. We are allowed to book hotels and have meals on the company in a safer area till it clears up. If roads are just bad, and we don't want to come to work, it's either banked time or vacation time. If we're late 2hours due to weather we don't have to make up the time.

Driving a new truck, it's not worth the risk to get caught up in accidents and have to deal with insurance. Also, getting stuck on some closed road since you weren't listening to the radio, and risking fines or no insurance in an accident, is not worth it. If getting somewhere can be delayed, it's not worth the risk, so hotels, or cancelling plans is the best bet!

I've tied a yellow rope.. from door knob to door knob.. so I can find my way to work in the morning ! :D

Yep ... and I have to tele-commute ... all the way to the dining room ... jeeze even 3 feet won't work for me :)

Seriously fellas .. be safe .. and remember it's always better to be tried by twelve than to be carried by six.

There's only about 4 cars that go down my road all day, so traffic jams won't be a problem, and I have nowhere important to go on Wednesday anyways, so the only driving I'll be doing will be with the snowblower.

And the snowblower DOES have good winter tires :lol:

This "can't drive to work because the roads are bad" mentality really pisses me off. We haven't even seen a flake of snow, and already, people are freaking out about a big storm :rolleyes: Gimme a break, we haven't seen a real winter storm for years. A foot of snow is nothing, driving in it isn't a problem, just take your time and be careful.

If I refused to work because of a snow storm, my co workers would laugh thier asses off at me. I'd be quite embarrassed even thinking of calling in.

What has this world come to. Its Canada for god sakes, we're supposed to like cold and snow. What a bunch of wussies!!! Tell your buddy to get his purse out of the way, hop in the truck, and get his ass to work!!!!!

S.

What pisses me off is people who cant read the original post

Nowhere does it say he doesn't want to go to work , nor does it say he wont go to work in a snow storm, it SAY'S once AT work your forced to drive a pc of crap vehicle in a snow storm that's not equipped to do so..I.E snow tires.

RIGHT TO REFUSE OR TO STOP WORK WHERE HEALTH OR SAFETY IN DANGER

Refusal to work

Non-application to certain workers

43. (1) This section does not apply to a worker described in subsection (2),

(a) when a circumstance described in clause (3) (a), (B), (b.1) or © is inherent in the worker’s work or is a normal condition of the worker’s employment; or

(B) when the worker’s refusal to work would directly endanger the life, health or safety of another person. R.S.O. 1990, c. O.1, s. 43 (1); 2009, c. 23, s. 4 (1).

Idem

(2) The worker referred to in subsection (1) is,

(a) a person employed in, or a member of, a police force to which the Police Services Act applies;

(B) a firefighter as defined in subsection 1 (1) of the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997;

© a person employed in the operation of,

(i) a correctional institution or facility,

(ii) a place of secure custody designated under section 24.1 of the Young Offenders Act (Canada), whether in accordance with section 88 of the Youth Criminal Justice Act (Canada) or otherwise,

(iii) a place of temporary detention under the Youth Criminal Justice Act (Canada), or

(iv) a similar institution, facility or place;

(d) a person employed in the operation of,

(i) a hospital, sanatorium, long-term care home, psychiatric institution, mental health centre or rehabilitation facility,

(ii) a residential group home or other facility for persons with behavioural or emotional problems or a physical, mental or developmental disability,

(iii) an ambulance service or a first aid clinic or station,

(iv) a laboratory operated by the Crown or licensed under the Laboratory and Specimen Collection Centre Licensing Act, or

(v) a laundry, food service, power plant or technical service or facility used in conjunction with an institution, facility or service described in subclause (i) to (iv). R.S.O. 1990, c. O.1, s. 43 (2); 1997, c. 4, s. 84; 2001, c. 13, s. 22; 2006, c. 19, Sched. D, s. 14; 2007, c. 8, s. 221.

Refusal to work

(3) A worker may refuse to work or do particular work where he or she has reason to believe that,

(a) any equipment, machine, device or thing the worker is to use or operate is likely to endanger himself, herself or another worker;

(B) the physical condition of the workplace or the part thereof in which he or she works or is to work is likely to endanger himself or herself;

(b.1) workplace violence is likely to endanger himself or herself; or

© any equipment, machine, device or thing he or she is to use or operate or the physical condition of the workplace or the part thereof in which he or she works or is to work is in contravention of this Act or the regulations and such contravention is likely to endanger himself, herself or another worker. R.S.O. 1990, c. O.1, s. 43 (3); 2009, c. 23, s. 4 (2).

Report of refusal to work

(4) Upon refusing to work or do particular work, the worker shall promptly report the circumstances of the refusal to the worker’s employer or supervisor who shall forthwith investigate the report in the presence of the worker and, if there is such, in the presence of one of,

(a) a committee member who represents workers, if any;

(B) a health and safety representative, if any; or

© a worker who because of knowledge, experience and training is selected by a trade union that represents the worker, or if there is no trade union, is selected by the workers to represent them,

who shall be made available and who shall attend without delay. R.S.O. 1990, c. O.1, s. 43 (4).

Worker to remain in safe place and available for investigation

(5) Until the investigation is completed, the worker shall remain,

(a) in a safe place that is as near as reasonably possible to his or her work station; and

(B) available to the employer or supervisor for the purposes of the investigation. 2009, c. 23, s. 4 (3).

Refusal to work following investigation

(6) Where, following the investigation or any steps taken to deal with the circumstances that caused the worker to refuse to work or do particular work, the worker has reasonable grounds to believe that,

(a) the equipment, machine, device or thing that was the cause of the refusal to work or do particular work continues to be likely to endanger himself, herself or another worker;

(B) the physical condition of the workplace or the part thereof in which he or she works continues to be likely to endanger himself or herself;

(b.1) workplace violence continues to be likely to endanger himself or herself; or

© any equipment, machine, device or thing he or she is to use or operate or the physical condition of the workplace or the part thereof in which he or she works or is to work is in contravention of this Act or the regulations and such contravention continues to be likely to endanger himself, herself or another worker,

the worker may refuse to work or do the particular work and the employer or the worker or a person on behalf of the employer or worker shall cause an inspector to be notified thereof. R.S.O. 1990, c. O.1, s. 43 (6); 2009, c. 23, s. 4 (4).

Investigation by inspector

(7) An inspector shall investigate the refusal to work in consultation with the employer or a person representing the employer, the worker, and if there is such, the person mentioned in clause (4) (a), (B) or ©. 2001, c. 9, Sched. I, s. 3 (11).

Decision of inspector

(8) The inspector shall, following the investigation referred to in subsection (7), decide whether a circumstance described in clause (6) (a), (B), (b.1) or © is likely to endanger the worker or another person. 2009, c. 23, s. 4 (5).

Idem

(9) The inspector shall give his or her decision, in writing, as soon as is practicable, to the employer, the worker, and, if there is such, the person mentioned in clause (4) (a), (B) or ©. R.S.O. 1990, c. O.1, s. 43 (9).

Worker to remain in safe place and available for investigation

(10) Pending the investigation and decision of the inspector, the worker shall remain, during the worker’s normal working hours, in a safe place that is as near as reasonably possible to his or her work station and available to the inspector for the purposes of the investigation. 2009, c. 23, s. 4 (6).

Exception

(10.1) Subsection (10) does not apply if the employer, subject to the provisions of a collective agreement, if any,

(a) assigns the worker reasonable alternative work during the worker’s normal working hours; or

(B) subject to section 50, where an assignment of reasonable alternative work is not practicable, gives other directions to the worker. 2009, c. 23, s. 4 (6).

Duty to advise other workers

(11) Pending the investigation and decision of the inspector, no worker shall be assigned to use or operate the equipment, machine, device or thing or to work in the workplace or in the part of the workplace being investigated unless, in the presence of a person described in subsection (12), the worker has been advised of the other worker’s refusal and of his or her reasons for the refusal. R.S.O. 1990, c. O.1, s. 43 (11).

Idem

(12) The person referred to in subsection (11) must be,

(a) a committee member who represents workers and, if possible, who is a certified member;

(B) a health and safety representative; or

© a worker who because of his or her knowledge, experience and training is selected by the trade union that represents the worker or, if there is no trade union, by the workers to represent them. R.S.O. 1990, c. O.1, s. 43 (12).

Entitlement to be paid

(13) A person shall be deemed to be at work and the person’s employer shall pay him or her at the regular or premium rate, as may be proper,

(a) for the time spent by the person carrying out the duties under subsections (4) and (7) of a person mentioned in clause (4) (a), (B) or ©; and

(B) for time spent by the person carrying out the duties under subsection (11) of a person described in subsection (12). R.S.O. 1990, c. O.1, s. 43 (13).

Edited by BUSTER

The snow is more dangerous when it is in the air than on the ground. The fact that the snow will be falling at 3 cm per hour is substantial. Combine that with the blowing wind and white out conditions and you have a recipe for disaster.

I love driving in snowstorms. I like thunderstorms and all natures acts of irregularity. Our jobsite is shut down until thursday and I can not wait to bomb around in the snow. I do not live in the city though. I would hate the idea of slogging my arse into the city with all those other yahoos on the road that can't drive in good weather let alone bad.

And yes, if my boss told me to dart about the city in a snow storm in a 2 wheel drive truck with no snow tires, I would decline.

We live in Canada, get used to it. Sounds like a bunch of Americans that get a snow storm once every few years. For them I can understand their uncertianty. The news makes everything sound worse then it usually is, including the weather. Drama get's our attention I guess. Make your own decision, and plan your day accordingly. Give yourself extra time to get to your destinations and carry on, life goes on in the Great White North. In a few months we will be advised to stay indoors because it's to hot out.