A classic is banned from Radio play

HTHM

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/dire-straits-money-nothing-censored-broadcast-panel-rules-20110112-175448-551.html

.OTTAWA - The 1980s song "Money for Nothing" by the British rock band Dire Straits has been deemed unacceptable for play on Canadian radio.

In a ruling released Wednesday, the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council says the song contravenes the human rights clauses of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters' Code of Ethics and Equitable Portrayal Code.

A listener to radio station CHOZ-FM in St. John's, N.L., complained last year that the song includes the word "very good dresser" in its lyrics and is discriminatory to gays.

The broadcaster argued that the song had been played countless times since its release decades ago and has won music industry awards.

A CBSC panel concluded that the word "very good dresser," even if once acceptable, has evolved to become unacceptable in most circumstances.

The panel noted that "Money for Nothing" would be acceptable for broadcast if suitably edited.

"nuff said.

Yeah....it's getting to be disgusting....glad I don't have another 50 years to go. Next on the chopping block will be Hans Christian Andersen...mostly because all of his works were "fairy Tales". Sounds more homophobic than "good dresser" eh? OH!!! We have ZZ TOP with Sharp Dressed Man.....quick, buy up all the copies!

Ok

ok

ok

so very good dresser

means your gay

I thought you were if you didn't own a weed eater .....man it's hard to keep up with things

I guess that is why they come out of the closet..... so they can be a very good dresser

Ok

ok

ok

so very good dresser

means your gay

I thought you were if you didn't own a weed eater .....man it's hard to keep up with things

I guess that is why they come out of the closet..... so they can be a very good dresser

VERY FUNNY......

If very good dresser means gay, then I will NEVER be mistaken for a gay guy....not that there's anything wrong with that. :rofl2:

VERY FUNNY......

If very good dresser means gay, then I will NEVER be mistaken for a gay guy....not that there's anything wrong with that. :rofl2:

Well, got to agree with you on that one, I was going to say, but...better not, along with the fruits there's probably some vegetables and meat that would get upset.

VERY FUNNY......

If very good dresser means gay, then I will NEVER be mistaken for a gay guy....not that there's anything wrong with that. rofl2.gif

But Bob !!! You told me you were so happy and gay,that people were drawn to you like butterfies to nectarblush.gif

unbelievable.

gov't need to stay the hell out of the arts.

Believe it or not, it's not the government. :o The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council is made up of members from the broadcasting industry. Just another reason not to listen to Canadian radio. Thank god for iPods and Sirius, where an individual is allowed to decide what they want to listen to.

Edited by Old Man

I am assuming that when everyone is typing very good dresser they are really typing f.a.g.g.o.t. It would seem that OFC has deemed the word to be unsuitable as well.

I have the same way of thinking. Although I think the song should be left the way it is on the radio. I hate censorship.

On a side note it is funny that the OFC filters draw a correlation between homosexuals and good fashion.

Edited by Grimace

DUMB DUMB DUMB!!

Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer is being reprinted now with all references to the 'N' word removed to become more politically correct. This is the artsand literature!! There is a lot of 'art' that is offensive to a lot of people, if you don't like it, don't listen, don't look at it, don't read it!! It's supposedly a 'free' country that we live in. By no means am I a Liberarian in my political views but when it comes to censorship, Big Brother shouldn't control my media outlets. To paraphrase what Trudeau said, 'The government has no business in the bedrooms of the nation'.

DUMB DUMB DUMB!!

Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer is being reprinted now with all references to the 'N' word removed to become more politically correct. This is the artsand literature!! There is a lot of 'art' that is offensive to a lot of people, if you don't like it, don't listen, don't look at it, don't read it!! It's supposedly a 'free' country that we live in. By no means am I a Liberarian in my political views but when it comes to censorship, Big Brother shouldn't control my media outlets. To paraphrase what Trudeau said, 'The government has no business in the bedrooms of the nation'.

It's not the government. The CBSC is run by the broadcast media. The broadcast media is censoring it's self and deciding what Canadians can listen to. In a way, it's worse than government censorship, because the CBSC isn't accountable in anyway to the Canadian people. At least governments can be defeated at the polls.