New guy- Tiller or SS?

Landlocked

Hi everyone,

Been spending some time catching up on many all of the quality posts (probably too much time!) and wanted to say what a great site this is! :thumbsup_anim:

Just wondering what your opinions are between the tiller and SS. The mission is to get into the water a little more this summer and looking to upgrade from my 14footer. I won't be fishing any huge water, won't need a full windshield and won't be into any watersports. Sooo....for your basic walleye fishing, what would most recommend? I like the wide open feel of the tillers but am wondering if the SS would be better for re-sale in the future?

Thanks in advance!

I sold my tiller last year and moved into a full windshield rig and love it the tiller was great for Walleye fishing but it was a pain in the arm hollding on to that tiller on long runs and in the spring and fall having that cold wind and the occasional ice cold lake spray hit you in the face at 50 KMH was not a alot of fun as i recall.

Full windshield for me!

Oh yeah, you definitely take some spray in the tiller esp. on a windy day. If you adjust the trim properly though it shouldn't be difficult to hold on to the tiller arm. My boat will go straight as an arrow without even touching the tiller arm.

Basically it depends what type of fishing you want to do most. Console's definitely are better suited for some applications and the same can be said for the tiller.

I think it all depends on what you fish for and how you fish and where you fish

if you like smaller lakes, if you like slow or back trolling weedlines/ dropoffs / shorelines for walleye triller is the way to go

for open water and big water trolling, I like a steering wheel

I have a tiller & for the small lakes it's great. More room to play the bigger fish. Great for back trolling for walleye. However, making those long runs is torture on St. CLair. I'd like to upgrade to a side console as soon as I can get the wife back to work.

I think it depends on the size of the boat you looking at.

I think that once you get to the 17 & 18 foot plus mark the side console is not as in the way. On smaller it gets in the way.

Now, just to so you know, I have a 14' side console, but thats because I spend time running for ice cream and site seeing, and I have a spouse that likes to drive the boat around and not be covered in spray.

I would be very happy if my little boat was a tiller, in fact it would be great.

get a console life is to short to not have a cigar in one hand and a beer in the other and steering with your knee. Actually get the boat you will be happy with it sucks to be driving a beautiful boat and wishing for something else. Just ask Roy and Spiel they both have their brave faces on saying how they like their tillers.

Art

For Spiel and Roy:

I've read/heard that most fishermen can't handle operating tillers over 60 HP. I'd appreciate comments from both of you on the validity of that statement since both of you are operating bigger tillers. I like to drive from the back too!

Tomcat.

At the lodge where I work at my guide boat is an 18' Lund Pro V's with 90hp yamaha tiller. The big motors are easy to steer and hold on to at high speeds. If I wanted to, with the trim properly adjusted, I could drive straight as an arrow with no hands on the tiller arm.

Tomcat.

At the lodge where I work at my guide boat is an 18' Lund Pro V's with 90hp yamaha tiller. The big motors are easy to steer and hold on to at high speeds. If I wanted to, with the trim properly adjusted, I could drive straight as an arrow with no hands on the tiller arm.

YEA,BUT YER CRAZY :worthy::wallbash::worthy::worthy: