Walleye on fire!

limeyangler

Hi all,

Went out from 2pm till around 4pm. What an awesome session.

I lucked out with the first hole drilled, fish all over the screen, wallies on the bottom and schools of baitfish at 20' FOW over 50' FOW.

It wasn't 10 minutes and the auger was still hot by the time i had 3 keepers on the ice. I took 20 minutes to drill a few holes 100yrds away on a spot i had got them last year, came back and iced a few more keeper size before moving to the new holes.

Same kind of depth, only its a steeper drop from a 20' shelf i marked in the summer.

Lots of keeper size again, then just like last year i spotted a fish way up at 20' FOW over 50' FOW, reeled up quick to whwere it was, the fish slammed it! a nice 23".

Lost one at the hole trying to get the camera out, again it was around 24". Both those fish were suspended at 20' over 50', just like last year. Anyone who is undecided about getting a flasher/fishfinder for the ice...dont...JUST GET ONE! I would have missed both those fish as i was jigging at the bottom when i saw them come in some 30' above my jig...reeled up and SLAM!

Just before 4pm i started to pack up, went to get my set line (which saw no action until i moved it) dropped the transducer down and gave it a sharp jig. No sooner than that a fish screamed of bottom and nailed it. It felt small at first but turned out very close to 27"! All fish on 1/4 white jig with a tail hooked minnow...largish minnows.

Anyways...here's the vid and some piccies.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhHV8QCyy3s?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhHV8QCyy3s?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhHV8QCyy3s?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1582.jpg

IMG_1588.jpg

IMG_1587.jpg

I'm not the first to mention this but I LOOOVVES your pink GLOOOVVES. ninja.gif

I'm gonna print off the part of your post where you say "Anyone who is undecided about getting a flasher/fishfinder for the ice...dont...JUST GET ONE!" and show it to my GF. I'll tell her you are a bona-fide fishing authority figure and maybe I'll get the thumbs up. (hopefully not a thumb up the asshat.gif )

Nice post as usual, a lot of walleye fisherman here have a lot of catching up to do, included me-self.

First off....I'd like to wish everyone a belated HAPPY XMAS!

Thanks for the replies folks, i actually snuck out for an hour same spot Xmas eve ( i just worked out how to snowmachine right from my yard to this lake across our lake and on the trails a bit!) Same scenario as in the report, first line down...WHAM!.....thgen.....NOTHING :dunno: oh well...thats fishing.

Wow!!!!! :clapping:

Now I know what my friend is talking about the fishing up that way!!!! Gonna have to make it up there sometime in the next year. I got an invitation LoL :clapping: Awesome fishing, good for you!!! Bet you had an awesome dinner :thumbsup_anim:

Sexy pink gloves btw :whistling:

If ya think the gloves are sexy...you should see......lol...never mind.

Nice work Simon. Gotta love suspended walleye - they're almost always active fish.

BTW - nice gloves, pink is your colour!!

Another vote for the gloves, and after the recent fac3book status you replied to Ben...it dont look good on my part.

Your right of course about the suspended fish...they is HUNTING!.....as soon as you get your jig in front of them...WHAM!...LOVE IT!

Really enjoy your video reports Simon.

Wish I was closer to you to come and join you once :thumbsup_anim::clapping:

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Icefisherman...if you ever do venture up the timmies is on me and we'll hit the hardwater (or softqwater) for sure.

Yep Simon, you get to play in Gods country everyday ..... I keep staring at my ice fishing gear ... Jan 1st for me

JAN 1ST...CANT WAIT...LAKERS!

Totally awesome...can't believe the eyes you get into...man!!!! Are your laker spots going to be ready for the 1st?

Hey JB...how did you get on on Nungessor? Anyway, the ice is surprisingly....AWESOME! The minus -30 celcius cold snap we had for a whole week after the horrendous dump of snow has firmed everything up, even better there is no slush on the lakes i have been to so far, just a nice 5" coating of snow on top of 9" to 15" of ice!

I'm not the first to mention this but I LOOOVVES your pink GLOOOVVES. ninja.gif

I'm gonna print off the part of your post where you say "Anyone who is undecided about getting a flasher/fishfinder for the ice...dont...JUST GET ONE!" and show it to my GF. I'll tell her you are a bona-fide fishing authority figure and maybe I'll get the thumbs up. (hopefully not a thumb up the asshat.gif )

Nice post as usual, a lot of walleye fisherman here have a lot of catching up to do, included me-self.

Another vote for the gloves.....you'll all be wearing them soon...NOT!

Pssssst, i know i have a Lowrance ....but those Hummingbird 345c and 385c hummingbirds look interesting.

Real men eat quiche and wear pick gloves I guess.:dunno::D Excellent report Simon!! What a way to kill some time before work.:good:

I hate Quiche!

Some fine looking walleye Simon. Would have loved to be there. Oh well, after Christmas I guess.

Hey Gord, i'm skipping across to the Twin Towers and into Thunder on the 2nd January...up for it?

Guest Manitoubass

Limey, great report as usual!

Another two weeks to wait for my ice fishing, but you should try to make it down my way for a day or two, lots of 10-12lb walleye about 1/4 mile from my house, always lotsa fun!