Weekend at Bernie's - Fall 2010

ccmtcanada

So...a sure sign that summer is coming to an end is the annual trip up to Lake Nipissing to visit Bernie. This time around it was Gerritt (and his buddy Joe), Headhunter, Fishnsled and myself. I was the last to arrive, as I had to work Friday morning.

The first thing I noticed was how bad the water levels really are! It's one thing to hear about it...even see a picture or two, but when you are standing at the boat launch and look around, it really hits you.

The view of the docks set WAYYYY down in the water at the launch.

IMG01192.jpg

The boat houses in the launch area look like this...just as Bernie has to do, they have to beach their boats inside!

IMG01191.jpg

I arrived around 530pm at the launch and Bernie came by to pick me up. When I got to his place, the guys were all there already. I was more than a few drinks behind and had some catching up to do!

gtheguys.jpg

I took a walk around and once again, the water levels just amazed me...here's his dock out front...those 2x4s were put there back in the spring so boats wouldn't just go right under the dock. The levels are even lower now and the dock is unuseable!

gboathouse.jpg

Venturing out back to the other dock and you are greeted with this...there used to be a lake here!

IMG01195.jpg

As usual, the dinners were amazing...Gerritt was up first and treated us to a feast! After dinner we all caught up with each other...had some drinks....played some cards....had some more drinks...had some more drinks and oh yeah...had some more drinks! In true Nipissing fashion, as the sun set on this day...the sunset always looks so great!

IMG01194.jpg

The next morning, we were treated to perfect fishing weather. It was a little cool outside, but it was shaping up to be a great day!

wsunrise.jpg

Gotta love it up here...imagine sitting down to this view with your morning coffee!

IMG01209.jpg

Anyhow...we did manage to get out fishing!! I'm not a fan of photoshopping, so the hot baits are not wiped out or obliterated in these pics.

Joe, with a nice jumbo...

IMG01206.jpg

The perch loved this bait!!!

IMG01204.jpg

I even managed a walleye!!

IMG01205.jpg

Bernie had Gerritt and Joe in his boat and they all caught as well...

Bernie with a nice picker-eye!

gberniepickereye.jpg

Gerritt's picker-eye!

ggerrittpickereye.jpg

And Joe wasn't left out either! If you look closely, there is a fish in his hands....

gjoespickereye.jpg

Headhunter was as classy as ever...poor guy had a little cold and went to no expense to let us know how crappy he felt.

gHH.jpg

Fishnsled and I headed out after lunch again to see what we could stir up and I managed what may be my biggest largie to date! It attacked my bait as soon as it hit the surface of the water!

wcliffbass.jpg

Here's the release...

IMG01212.jpg

After yet another amazing dinner courtesy of Fishnsled, we headed out for the evening bite!

We fished in the same area....and wouldn't you know it....Headhunter and I with a double header!

gdoubleheader.jpg

Ok...so we both managed to hook Bernie's anchor line at the same time!!! LOL.

A short time later, I heard commotion from the other boat! Bernie has a MONSTER on! The thing keeps taking him deep...it wont come to the surface. Finally, after a lengthy battle, Gerritt nets the fish!

IMG01219.jpg

The money shot!!!

gberniessheepie.jpg

Gerritt said "you have to hold it up Bernie!!!" Bernie says "No way am I touching that thing!!!!" We know who won that arguement!! LOL

Fishnsled managed to pull a nice smallie and a picker-eye up during the evening as well...

IMG01217.jpg

IMG01216.jpg

Once again gentlemen...I had a GREAT time up there. Hope to be back this winter for the ice fishing! Many thanks to Bernie once again for allowing us onto his island paradise...and to all the guys who always makes these trips memorable.

Thanks for the fun guys. Always a good time.

Thanks Joey. :lol:

Next sheephead I get I will cook it to see if the seagulls will eat it. They don't eat them raw. How good can they be if a seagull won't eat it? :blink:

Them marshmallows worked pretty good :w00t::rofl2:

Great job on the report Cliff !

Great report Cliff, thanks for putting it together. Great friends and some new ones made, great food - I don't think anyone was feeling peckish, some fishing and catching, a few beverages and a ton of laughs. AWESOME time as always. Thanks for the hospitality Bernie!!thumbsup_anim.gif Can hardly wait till the next one.

Good to see you in the mix again Cliff.

You're right about the water levels.. That water line has been at the same spot for years and then poof, a meter lower!! In fact, we saw another water line about another meter up in some places.. Hope it gets better then worse up there. It was a really tough go at Lakair for Laz and me this year. You guys did alright though!!

cheers

HD

Guest Johnny Bass

Great report. Looks like lots of fish were caught, and fun was had. I've seen Nipissing pretty low but it always comes back up. The experts are saying this is going to be a cold and nasty winter with lots of snow, so it will be good for our lakes.

Thanks for doingup the report Cliff! And thanks for taking my picture with a snot rag hanging out of my nose! I couldn't believe it when I woke up Friday morning, full blown cold, after lookin forward to this weekend all summer.

Thanks again Bernie, as well as Gerritt and Will for cookin up a storm for us... myself, I tried to keep my fluid levels up and make the best of it!

Already lookin forward to the ice GTG!

I am truly amazed at how multi-species a simple little sundry item like marshmellows can be! Yah just can't beat 'em for bait!

BTW - Will and I drove all over North Bay lookin for Pickereye fillets to take home, but no luck!

I gotta give kudos to the guy in Midland who set FishnSled up with a part he needed for his trolling motor. Will had called ahead and found this part at a shop in Midland. WE drove from the "Shwa" to Midland to get the part, before heading to Nip. When we got there, we found that he did not have the correct part to sell FnS. But he did take the part off a floor model motor and helped Will install it, all for the palrty sum of $8.00! You simply will not find that level of service in the big city... so a huge thumbs up to the dealer in Midland (Can't remember the name, maybe Will will chime in) who went far beyond the call of duty, to get us on our way.

HH

Thanks for doingup the report Cliff! And thanks for taking my picture with a snot rag hanging out of my nose! I couldn't believe it when I woke up Friday morning, full blown cold, after lookin forward to this weekend all summer.

Thanks again Bernie, as well as Gerritt and Will for cookin up a storm for us... myself, I tried to keep my fluid levels up and make the best of it!

Already lookin forward to the ice GTG!

I am truly amazed at how multi-species a simple little sundry item like marshmellows can be! Yah just can't beat 'em for bait!

BTW - Will and I drove all over North Bay lookin for Pickereye fillets to take home, but no luck!

I gotta give kudos to the guy in Midland who set FishnSled up with a part he needed for his trolling motor. Will had called ahead and found this part at a shop in Midland. WE drove from the "Shwa" to Midland to get the part, before heading to Nip. When we got there, we found that he did not have the correct part to sell FnS. But he did take the part off a floor model motor and helped Will install it, all for the palrty sum of $8.00! You simply will not find that level of service in the big city... so a huge thumbs up to the dealer in Midland (Can't remember the name, maybe Will will chime in) who went far beyond the call of duty, to get us on our way.

HH

Hey Joe, hope you are feeling better. So far so good for me.

If you are ever in the Midland area and are having problems with your Motorguide trolling motor or just need some bait or tackle, stop into Backwater Tackle and ask for Brian. Top notch guy!good.gif He saved us a lot of headaches over the weekend by setting us up with the part and install. It's worth the drive to Midland.

Here is his website Backwater Tackle