Legends of our sport, switch to Quantum rods and reels!

uglyfish

it's who pays the most becomes their very favorite rod and reel

I hope shimano still uses the video where he states "nothing, I mean nothing comes close to the Shimano Calais DC" what's he going to say..oops I made a mistake

reminders me of Charlie Wray , every year that he got a new boat motor or rod sponsor, it was the best they ever made none better and he wouldn't want to use any other make cause they are the best

Edited by Terry

as long as the money is coming out of my pocket I'll stick with my st. croix and shimano products, now if someone wants to sponers me. i even use a hanna montana rod and tell you it's great

My thoughts also...except the Hanna Montana part haha. I love my 2 shimano reels and st croix sticks. Looking forward to more, great combos for sure!

It really comes down to personal preference. All the major manufacturers make a quality product. I do not have a rod / reel sponsor and thus have a mix of St. Croix, Shimano, and Powell rods, i like each and every one of them or i wouldn't own them. Personally, i prefer Shimano reels, but again i have friends that swear by Quantum. When you spend 700 or so hours on the water / year you get intimate with the operation of your gear. for example you will set the hook differently using a 7 foot turd than you will with a 6'8 MXF on a drop shot, fight a fish different, etc... those could be the same brand, the same thing goes for two rods of the same spec from different manufacturers.

Good on the Lindners for making a living doing what they love. Promoting sponsors is part of the gig, and there is nothing shameful in them getting paid to help market a product. After all, the fishing business is no different than any other industry, other than the fact that it may be even more competitive.

If they were promoting products that were truly inferior it would be a different story, and i think it would affect their future ability to get quality sponsorship.

just my $0.02

Ryan

Top professionals always choose to use whatever the sponsor tells them to use. Simple as that.

So, theres no loyalty then? I can see if you were screwed over,but these boys being of the church :whistling: ,you would think they would be loyal to thier old sponsors. Just speaking out here.

It's all about paying the mortgage.

How many mortgages can these guys have?LOL

He was using Quantum reels back when he was doing those In-Fisherman shows.

He’s the sole reason I bought that crappy Quantum Hypercast back in the 90’s when I was 12yrs old :lol:

Edited by MJL

If I was in the market to buy some new fishing gear, electronics, a new boat, motor or whatever, I would NEVER buy it because some dood on a TV fishing show said it was a good product. Nothing worse than seeing their shirts, boats & trucks plastered with the sponsors name while their standing there telling me these are the best products on the market.

We've even got members of this board who have a list of their sponsors in their signature and I've seen them on here pushing their sponsors products when someone asks a question about what gear to buy.

If I'm looking to buy something new I'll ask the members of this board....(the non-sponsored ones).... if anyone uses it and what's their honest opinion about the item, NOT somebody who's payed to say it's a great item.

But for what it's worth, with the exception of one reel, ALL my musky gear is Shimano :lol:

Edited by lew

Look at what Boyd Duckett did last year. He publicly outed E21 for the Carrot Stix (and company) not being of the calibre they had signed him up to endorse, so he said good bye and started his own brand. No other backers other than his own wallet (which was fat enough to start with, that it wouldn't hurt him too much if it didn't work out!)

C'mon Lew, they paid you to say that... :rolleyes:

That's the problem Jer, I'm always pushing Shimano musky gear cause I think it's the best there is, but I don't get a darned thing for it :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by lew

It`s a sales pitch, sold to the highest bidder. How long would they have a sponsor if they didn`t push their products. Money can buy loyalty.

Most of my reels are Shimano, old Abu`s mixed in. LOL I might use a Quantum, if I was getting them for free, and supported for using them.

Guest LivingLegend

Such a sensitive topic, when it all boils down...... the fish dont care what brand name you have, they dont care about your rod, reel or the line you use. Just get there and fish people!!!w00t.gif

PEEEEAAACCCCCCCCE!

If Big Al's gone Quantum---he's let me down.

Quantum and it's predecessor--Zebco----Low quality--and not always the low price.

Shimano or stay home in my opinion.

Al has taught me a lot over the years----cutting edge info on techniques---apparently he had a price.

Sad day for our fishing world.

as long as the money is coming out of my pocket I'll stick with my st. croix and shimano products

Totally agree....I'd put Loomis in there as well but I guess its a Shimano product as well :whistling:

Quantum has a good product, price point and warranty, but the feel just isn't the same as above.

I have two quantum rods, a 6ft bass rod and an 11ft steelhead rod. Never had any problems with either. Like someone else said, the fish doesn't know what is on the other end of the line.