Legends of our sport, switch to Quantum rods and reels!

uglyfish

Who says they left their previous sponsor? Maybe the reel/rod company felt their monies could be better used elsewhere?

Contracts expire, life goes on. It's just fishin'. :Gonefishing:

The best (well one of) post made yet on this. Maybe they wanted that much more $ and or shimano had to cut back on who they sponsor? Who else has changed from them recently? Maybe they want a KVD or someone like that in the Linders place? It's the CFO who steers the ship most of the time so you never know unless a shimano rep comes on here and tells you what happend. Or, one of the Linders.

So now it's time I get me Phenix tackle all ready, tied on to my Spider Wire line paired up with my Abu reel and my Berkley Lighting Rod Shock rod and think about fishing this weekend... :sarcasm:

Geoff

So, theres no loyalty then? I can see if you were screwed over,but these boys being of the church :whistling: ,you would think they would be loyal to thier old sponsors. Just speaking out here.

How many mortgages can these guys have?LOL

Loyalty? Pffft. You can't eat loyalty.

Al might not have a mortgage any more, but he definitely has huge costs associated with producing his show and buying air time to get it on the air. It costs an enormous amount of money, even if you air it on a crappy network. So you go with whatever sponsor will pay the bills, or you don't have a show. That's pretty much the bottom line.

TV fishing shows are a business. That's precisely why I can't watch any of them. Well, that and the fact 95 percent of them really, really suck.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Loyalty? Pffft. You can't eat loyalty.

Al might not have a mortgage any more, but he definitely has huge costs associated with producing his show and buying air time to get it on the air. It costs an enormous amount of money, even if you air it on a crappy network. So you go with whatever sponsor will pay the bills, or you don't have a show. That's pretty much the bottom line.

TV fishing shows are a business. That's precisely why I can't watch any of them. Well, that and the fact 95 percent of them really, really suck.

Yes many of the shows are info-mercials, suck and the costs involved are huge. Most guys who are competitive anglers or very avid anglers don't watch fishing shows, they will go out on the water and learn on their own.

I have always respected the Lindners for their knowledge and cutting edge ideas. I know how the biz works and this does not diminish my view of the Lindners, they are men of integrity.

Yes many of the shows are info-mercials, suck and the costs involved are huge. Most guys who are competitive anglers or very avid anglers don't watch fishing shows, they will go out on the water and learn on their own.

I have always respected the Lindners for their knowledge and cutting edge ideas. I know how the biz works and this does not diminish my view of the Lindners, they are men of integrity.

Agreed Bob.

Tough to have a fishing show without "fishing industry" sponsors. Outside the industry is where the money is and the more sucessful shows have those sponsors and work darn hard to keep them. I really respect Facts of Fishnig with Dave Mercer for their marketing creativity and drive to promote the sport to a HIGHER level.

Edited by Harrison

it's who pays the most becomes their very favorite rod and reel

I hope shimano still uses the video where he states "nothing, I mean nothing comes close to the Shimano Calais DC" what's he going to say..oops I made a mistake

Of course the risk there is that he'll publically respond "They paid me a lot of money to say that." or more likely "Time and technology changes all things. Quantum has made some good improvements." etc etc.

There's also the legality of using his name, voice and image in ads after their contract has expired. They no longer have consent I suspect. This whole thing with touting sponsor's products is a dicey game, not one the sponsors or the promoters want to have closely examined.

JF

Guest Johnny Bass

Quantum makes some great rods and reels. No doubt. I hear the problem is long waits for parts( I don't think Linder has this problem). That is why I stick with Shimano. They make a good product, their local and their customer service is above exceptional.

I talked to one bass guy and he said he was selling all his Shimano for Quantums. I told him that Quantum has bad service and he said he gets all his Quantum parts free. That will make you change loyalties in a hurry.....

It is what it is. Like many here have stated. Do I buy shimano because Bob Izumi uses it, no. Do I purchase Seaguar flourocarbon leaders because Charlie Wray, loves the stuff, of course not. Trial and error, speaking with fellow fishermen (board members) hopefully most of us are intelligent enough to make a purchase decision without having it rammed down our throats by a fishing host.

I was talked into buying a high-end Quantum spinning reel last year after being assured that they had made vast improvements since I had owned my last one (~1998). The Shimano reel that my girlfriend bought for half the price is a way better reel. The Quantum reel seemed alright in the store but out on the water it is terrible. It seems as though it is fully designed for form over function. You have to love a titanium bail that opens half the time you set the hook.

One aspect of the rod/reel sponsership I have enjoyed with the Linders is that in their pushing of the product, they took time to explain what setup/action and line they were using for a particular tactic. Whether you buy Shimano or Quantum or not I found this useful to learn about technique specific gear.

I would suspect only the parties involved know the real story on this one, but product needs to be sold and money needs to be made for all involved to go forward.

You have to love a titanium bail that opens half the time you set the hook.

I've got 4 reels with the titanium bail and none has ever opened on the hookset or any other time accidentally. I'd say you've got a setup problem there. The only problem I've ever had was a bail (casting) breaking when dropped on a concrete floor. It was replaced within a few days for $24.

JF

I've got 4 reels with the titanium bail and none has ever opened on the hookset or any other time accidentally. I'd say you've got a setup problem there. The only problem I've ever had was a bail (casting) breaking when dropped on a concrete floor. It was replaced within a few days for $24.

JF

I'm not saying that all titanium bails will open periodically, I'm just saying that this one does. Are you using Quantum reels?

I'm not saying that all titanium bails will open periodically, I'm just saying that this one does. Are you using Quantum reels?

4 spinning reels and 1 baitcaster. I had another Energy PTi spinning reel which I lost. Too bad. That little Quantum was my favourite creek reel. Of course I didn't have the little Stradic CI4 then so who knows?

JF

Of course the risk there is that he'll publically respond "They paid me a lot of money to say that

That would make him a lair, so no one would believe him when pushing future products

Of course the risk there is that he'll publically respond "Time and technology changes all things. Quantum has made some good improvements." etc etc.

as long as the products he's pushing now were not for sale when he was pushing shimano again would make him a lair

There's also the legality of using his name, voice and image in ads after their contract has expired.

if they quote something Al said, it would be hard for him to sue them as he made the statement in his show not just in their ads

also many ads are bought and are part of the fishing shows, they are bought as a package, so if you are on a channel that show older shows they have some the original ads because that is how they are packaged, so him saying simano is the best will live in infamy ...LOL

Agreed Bob.

Tough to have a fishing show without "fishing industry" sponsors. Outside the industry is where the money is and the more sucessful shows have those sponsors and work darn hard to keep them. I really respect Facts of Fishnig with Dave Mercer for their marketing creativity and drive to promote the sport to a HIGHER level.

I don't know how Dave is taking the sport to a higher level by pushing Subway subs (I am assuming that you are referring to Subway when you speak of outside sponsors). For that matter I am not sure why anyone feels that the sport needs to be taken anywhere.

Fishing shows exist solely to push products just as magazines are only there as vehicles for the advertisements.

If fishing show hosts are to be held in some sort of higher regard, on this board or anywhere (my opinion only, granted), it is because they have found a way to take an activity that we all love and make a living at it.

Jim

lol, wow... u guys really get ur heads moving on this one eh?! i wasnt tryin to start a debate, i just thought that was an interesting bit of info. they have been with shimano forever. Bob Devine had a great point on the topic.

now, me personally, i think the lindners are just fine finacially. so, going to the highest bidder may not be true. as someone else pointed out, with all the gear we have available to us, its all a matter of preference. i dont care what a company pays me, if i dont have the utmost confidence in their products, im not going to use or endorse them.

someone pointed out that boyd duckett left E21 over issues with production of the rods he helped design. Started his own company and is doing quite well.

heres a thought... MAYBE, the lindners just preferred the look, feel and performance of quantum rods and reels over shimano?

as ive said many time before when guys on here ask advice on buying new gear... asking anyone on here is useless, because we are ALL bias. we are all loyal to the gear we use, so when someone asks about a new reel, half will say buy shimano, others will say buy quantum, others will say abu garcia... and so on. just because something work and feels right for u, doesnt mean it will be good and feel right for the next guy.

now, considering quantum has been around for many years, and has one of the best prostaffs in the business, the top angler in the sport... they must be doing SOMETHING right!!

I bought a Quantum PTi many years ago and if I hadn't paid so much for it, it would be resting comfortably at the bottom of the lake! The anti-reverse has a mind of it's own and it seems to decide to disengage at the most inappropriate times, most of them being during hook set... heck, I bet if you ask Bernie, he could tell you that the sound of my voice is still bouncing around Nip from me screaming at that reel on May 24 weekend!

The bail is also like minded and it like to close on me during casting... Quantum... NEVER AGAIN!

Back on topic... business is business... no surprises here!

HH

I don`t see the big deal, is this some kind of revelation that TV fishing show hosts are for sale in one form or another?

If they were not for sale they would not have a show!!

Hey if the Crapola reel company wants to sponsor me I could probably learn to luv the Crapola 9000 baitcaster.

I don`t see the big deal, is this some kind of revelation that TV fishing show hosts are for sale in one form or another?

If they were not for sale they would not have a show!!

Hey if the Crapola reel company wants to sponsor me I could probably learn to luv the Crapola 9000 baitcaster.

yeah, in the real world it means nothing..........

but in the "reel" world it's a big deal.......LOL

I bought a Quantum PTi many years ago and if I hadn't paid so much for it, it would be resting comfortably at the bottom of the lake! The anti-reverse has a mind of it's own and it seems to decide to disengage at the most inappropriate times, most of them being during hook set... heck, I bet if you ask Bernie, he could tell you that the sound of my voice is still bouncing around Nip from me screaming at that reel on May 24 weekend!

The bail is also like minded and it like to close on me during casting... Quantum... NEVER AGAIN!

Back on topic... business is business... no surprises here!

HH

I also have Quantum Kinetic PTi Joe and had the same issues with the anti reverse.

To be honest it's my fave spinning reel and has served me well, used and abused for years.

When the anti reverse went I didn't want to have it collecting dust so I ordered a new anti reverse bearing from Aikmans. Cost was about $18.00 plus shipping and was an easy fix. Reel is as good as new. :)

lol, heres a thought... MAYBE, the lindners just preferred the look, feel and performance of quantum rods and reels over shimano?

Here's another thought - a 30 minute time slot on Versus TV costs $175,000 US. The cost of actually producing the show are over and above that, of course.

I have all the respect in the world for the Lindners .... great fishermen and classy guys in every sense of the word .... but I suspect MAYBE they just prefer the look, feel and performance of a Quantum sponsorship contract.

TV is business - personal likes and dislikes have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Here's another thought - a 30 minute time slot on Versus TV costs $175,000 US. The cost of actually producing the show are over and above that, of course.

I have all the respect in the world for the Lindners .... great fishermen and classy guys in every sense of the word .... but I suspect MAYBE they just prefer the look, feel and performance of a Quantum sponsorship contract.

TV is business - personal likes and dislikes have absolutely nothing to do with it.

That`s right "SHOW ME THE MONEY" baby ah your lovin me now!!!! :clapping: