NF Anoyone heard of this before or seen it

vinnimon

Chatting with a coworker today,I noticed a bug on the shop floor on the other side of him.One Ive never seen before and it was big.It was crawling around and very active.Would not fly away at all.

I put it in a cup to show the others and one blurted out its name,gave us a story on its life span as well.

Its a fair size fly,transparent wings,eyes on top of its head as well.Apparently it lives under groung until its ready to mate.After a 17 or 18 yr life.

Has anyone seen or know about this bug.Sorry I cant recall the name nor have any pics.

Do fish eat them?

Thanks in advance

Vin

Defintely Cicada. welcome climate change. When I lived in Wva they would hatch and make one heck of a racket for a couple days - then gone. Once when I was a kid one landed on me while I was on the swings. I think that patch of grass beneath that swing is still the greenest in the state.

Defintely Cicada. welcome climate change. When I lived in Wva they would hatch and make one heck of a racket for a couple days - then gone. Once when I was a kid one landed on me while I was on the swings. I think that patch of grass beneath that swing is still the greenest in the state.

What does that have to do with climate change??

I have been listening to cicadas since I was a little kid, and they were around before me!

Burt :)

We seem to get them to a degree every summer, although some years are far worse than others. I took my kids to a small lake near me about 10 years ago and there were so many the noise they were making was disturbing.

Enough of them together and they give off a low humming that is far worse than the loud noise they make. If they land in the water fish eat them.

Very cool V, thanks for sharing. I've been hearing these bugs since I was born, but have yet to see one. At least now I'll know what I am looking at.

I was a kid the first time I saw one, thinking it was a house fly, I thought "How big was the pile of dung that that thing came off of?" :blink:

Second thought was that it was a horse fly and "I don't want that thing to bite me!" :w00t: