Three Thousand Three Hundred and sixty three (NF)

camillj

Again, assuming this is about quitting smoking, my favorite is when the nursing home staff won't let the old folks have a cigarette...guess they're worried it might stunt their growth. As long as they keep it away from the oxygen tanks who cares!

Yes ... its now been 3640 minutes ... since I looked at the clock and said I should remember this time .... as I tossed that beautiful (not quite finshed) thing outta the window .... wondering only if I could make the rest of the Journey to Waterloo smoke-free ....

Now suddenly I am trapped in this .... ah never mind .... cant concentrate right now :)

I'm down to 2 a day with the help of the gum, but I know I haven't accepted the idea of not smoking yet. That's a big step.

Best of luck to you, Camil. You'll be proud of yourself, and so will your family.

Buck up lads the best is yet to come. I quit in Oct 2004 and have had what I would call two major relapses.

They both came in the Summers 2005 and 2006 and had to do with the fact that I had not yet "accepted the idea of not smoking yet" as douG says.

I had also had a couple drinks and was out with the lads (they don't smoke but they do drink which is a major trigger for me).

The first relapse lasted a couple months the second a few days. These were both after several months of cold turkey. I felt bad both times. That is a good thing as it motivates. On the other hand don't feel too bad your a hard core smoker move on.

Don't get me wrong I am big fan of smoking just not a big fan of dying young.

Now I have stopped thinking about it "everyday" so that is a good thing.

For me the gum and just a couple here and there didn't do it for me. Both are nicotine which you must remove 100%.

There's tons of people with similar stories. Bottom line is you just have to stop putting them in your mouth.

Edited by Nemo

For me the gum and just a couple here and there didn't do it for me. Both are nicotine which you must remove 100%.

There's tons of people with similar stories. Bottom line is you just have to stop putting them in your mouth.

Yep ... cold turkey here ... ok .. little vodka .. little wine but no substitutes ...

For your sake and the sake of your family, keep up the good work! :clapping:

I hold the worlds record for most times trying to quit (I wasn't very good at it). My wife looked at me once and asked why I kept putting myself through it and I replied " if I keep trying, one of these days I'll get it right!" Can't even remember how many years ago that was.

i quit 2 years ago! Woke up hung over one morning and by the time i had it in me to get up dressed and go outside in the freezing cold it was 1pm. I went that long without a smoke i said 0000 it and quit that day. Have not had one since and dotn ever have any cravings anymore.

If i can do it then so can you!

Keep at it man you will fell so much better!

Cheers!

If you really want to quit smoking go to a CHEMO clinic waiting room at your local Cancer hosp. and take a seat for a couple of hours and observe people desperatly trying to catch there breathe and hauling around oxygen bottles while wearing wigs and bandanas.If that doesnt turn you off cigaretts then I guess your destined to join them.

I put cigarettes down 4 years ago and have not picked one up since. Only because I know 1 will get me started again. I can not claim that I am smoke free though I have a occasional cigar when I am feel like it. I guess even though it ain't perfect it is as close as I can come right now. Keep up the good work Camilj and douG no one can give you the incentive or reason to stop it has to come from inside.

Art

It will get better every day that you don't smoke and I'm not talking about how you feel, I mean about the cravings and thoughts, they will be less and less and then only a once in a while occurrence. Keep at it and you won't regret it.. no one who successfully quits smoking ever regrets it.. many who start again do.

Keep at it!!

I quit 16 months ago - was one with the smoke always in my hand - then took the Happy pill and 4 weeks later that was that. Since then - bought a ton of gear, took my hunting course, and now buying a hot tub.

Best thing I did - smoked for 26 years!!!

Keep at it - all of us quiters are there for you!!!

By now, (assuming you didn't fall off the wagon), you have gone three days..... :clapping: It really does get much better from here on..... :thumbsup_anim: The nicotine addiction starts to go away and what you are left with is association...... :wallbash: You associate having a cigarette with.......whatever it is. For me it was many things including having a beer, summer mornings on the deck with a coffee and the newspaper...etc, etc. You really do have to change your habits that were (are) triggers. It is very tough but once you do it's much easier.

I am probably second to Cliff in the most times quit and failed. I watched my Mum die from Emphysema a couple of years ago an my Dad is in the final stages of Lung Cancer. It's not a pretty way to go. I eventually did it for my kids and grandkids.

For me, it was a $100 a week after tax habit (at todays prices)................$5200.00 a year!!!

It will be the best thing you ever did, and will look back and wonder why you didn't do it 20 years ago!

IM me if I can help............

John

Check this site out. DO NOT READ the horror stories but read about the true nature of nicotine's relationship with your brain. Allen Carr's book The Easyway to quit smoking is another great resource. Again, it analyses what a nicotine addiction really is (without the scare tactics). They both tackle the subject a little bit differently but still have the same basic ideas about the lies the nicotine tells you (ie. it calms me down, it tastes good, etc.) and they both go to great lengths to demonstrate that is not actually true - but lies nicotine tells your brain.

Read it right away, it will make all the difference.

One of the greatest lessons I learned from above was that until you understand that you are not denying yourself something you want, you will never truly be able to quit for good. From the title of your post, the WANT does not seem to have gone away. These books will help to change that.

http://www.whyquit.com/

One of the greatest lessons I learned from above was that until you understand that you are not denying yourself something you want, you will never truly be able to quit for good.

http://www.whyquit.com/

That was very well and succinctly put, JerseyDog. I am going thru that link, the best info on quitting I've seen. Thank you.

For about 40 years I smoked 2 packs of Pall Mall; 6 Cigars and one of my pipes every day. One day I forgot my pack of Cigarettes and Lighter at the bowling alley. I said to Barb you know Hon. I think I'll quit. That was March the 3rd of 1976. Have not missed it at all except when I smell a good Cigar or a Rum Maple Pipe. Hang in you can do it. Bob Go Fishing

I quit cigatettes a few years ago and cigars 3 weeks ago.Had to give up coffee and caffine but so far so good.Not dreading my cardio as much at the gym as I was.douG,that is the same link I was trying to send you last week in chat.There is a ton of good info in there.

Joe

My lungs are pooched everytime I play hockey, I can't hold my breath long enough when I'm upside down in my kayak, and when I huff and I puff and blow the house down, my lungs dislocate down to my stomach until I burp them back up again. This is a direct result from sucking on the devils finger. Perhaps to make things easier is to actually have a more tangible result to your success. Put $10 (cost of a pack) into a jar relative to the amount you smoked per day, and that will keep you motivated. All you have to do is embrace the jar when you crave ... and think of things you can do with that cash. Something worth the sacrifice ... set your goal to something that makes you excited to look forward to and cash in. You see, some people need a more immediate result, rather than a long term affect. Hasn't worked for me yet, but I'm honoring that method almost more than helping out my health. I have 3 months to quit ... then it's cottage season. Too hard to stop then. Keep up the great acheivement! And stay proud.

Thanks Guys ... yes ... it has now been over 5100 minutes (3 day 12 hrs 30 minutes to be exact ... the WANT is soooo definitely still there ... and I go outside every half hour or so and breath hard and do all the ritual things I would do if I was actually havin a butt .... read my email ... clear the snow off the deck ... come inside sorta fooled into believing its all better .. knowing that the nicotine would just have fooled me anyway so its not that far from the truth ...

Hard to explain ... but my approach for cold turkey was to take this 'mental' approach .... like ... it is gonna hurt ... like if you broke your leg (only you know that no matter how bad a craving is it will NOT hurt as much as breaking your leg ... (and you know after a few weeks the broken leg will heal .. maybe never perfectly .. but it will heal .... so you know you can get through it ....

ok its done ... (coulda/shoulda never started but I did ... 25 years ago ... and loved every minute of it .. knowing that sooner or later I'd have to tough it out .... not 100% sure that sooner is now .... but hey ... I am still at it ... one of the sites I read said it pretty well ... its not for forever ... just for today .... (until the addiction is weaker than me .... then maybe it will be forever)

Anyhow ... again the inability to concentrate is probably the most wierd sensation of all ... and I have caught myself a couple of time just reaching for the 'panic pack' in my pocket ... almost subconsciously ...

[edit] Wow ... thanks .. just spent an hour + at the whyquit.com site ... truth is I would NEVER EVER have even read it before .... but now it all seems so relevent ... uh oh ... this may be the real thing :)

And by the way .. the panic pack is no longer in my pocket .... crap now I'm gonna have to go clean out all my 'secret' stashes .....

Edited by camillj