Some boaters are unbelievable

lew

Let me see, internet warrior, I had my 83 year old mother in the boat.. my 57 year old sister.. and my wife! I didn't slow down for a look... I did it out of the usual courtesy I give canoes, only to get sworn at.

Have you ever made a positive post around here...

Let me see, internet warrior, I had my 83 year old mother in the boat.. my 57 year old sister.. and my wife! I didn't slow down for a look... I did it out of the usual courtesy I give canoes, only to get sworn at.

Have you ever made a positive post around here...

Yeah, i make a few.

Anyway I did edit my post (obviously not before you saw it) but the thing is you preface your story with "sometimes its a really good view". But then i don't know what you mean....so maybe i misunderstood. I'm sure i'm not the only one. Either way, its none of my business so i edited teh post.

But i still think no one deserves to be tipped. I don't give a crap whether that's popular with you or not.

Yep, with all the long guns registered and everyone having their "Boat Operators Card", I have never felt safer! NOT! :whistling:

Lew, we were taught common sense when our parents lead by example. My Dad always pointed out common courtesy to others when we were in the boat and it is just something we live by today. We follow the rules and look out for one another.

Somewhere along the way, our society has lost this.

Regardless of who has the right of way in a channel, common courtesy has to prevail and those Cops (blasting off in a pack of small boats) that acted like that should be dealt with for their stupidity! Plain and simple!

I hit the water here at 5am and was off by noon on both sat and sun just to avoid all that was mentioned above. The fishing was lousy anyways. People parking their vehicles 6 ft from each other in the vehicles with trailers only parking lot. Half the vehicles in the parking lot had no trailers. I watched one guy pull his new 3 seater Sea-Doo out of the water and it slid off the trailer half way up the ramp. Trucks stalled in the water because the water is to shallow to launch a big boat. People being towed in all weekend because they have hit rocks. I watched one clown use his big motor to help get his boat on the trailer in 1 ft of water and when he pulled his boat out his stainless prop was toast. Trucks getting towed out of the launch because they backed out to far and got stuck in the sand. It was a CIRCUS. I have heard of at least 15 boats hitting rocks or shoals this weekend. With the water being down about 5 to 6 ft here on the Ottawa things are not looking good. Now if I could only invent a pill for stupidity I would be a rich man. Like my dad said on the weekend common sense isn't very common anymore.

Like my dad said on the weekend common sense isn't very common anymore.

You're Dad's a smart guy, too bad there aren't more boat operators as smart as him.

Many of us have been that person in a canoe or any other type of small boat and had to deal with those lunatics kicking up a high wake. Doesn't matter if you are in open water or not, "captains" :sarcasm: of bigger craft still have to be on the lookout for the safety of others. Even if it means you have to be inconvenienced by slowing down.

Two reasons I didn't fish this past Victoria day weekend, #1 is the idiots on the water, and #2 is the fact the one who wears the pants :worthy: in the family and I put in a new kitchen floor. I have tomorrow off anyway and will hook up and launch then when hopefully the morons are at work.

Wayne: Should have told her to wait right there while I shoot back to get my camera! Smart ass arrogant little carp eh!

Yep i don't ever go out on long weekends in the boat. It's just not worth it. I was at the town docks in Orillia and had a guy unload his boat and left his truck and trailer blocking the entire ramp while he was loading up his boat with gear. A guy came over to him and asked him to move his boat over to the docks to load his gear so he did but never moved his truck. I guess he never got the hint that the Boat launch is only for boat launching. So the guy that asked him to move his boat got into his truck and moved his vehicle out of the way for the rest of the people waiting to launch. It was quite funny.

For those of you that weren't fortunate to fish lower Pigeon Lake this weekend, you missed the watersport events. The loudest and most obnoxous were three boats that made a whole section their personal race track. I doubt there was a fish for miles that would bite after their run. Yes, everyone has the privileage of using the water, but can't they go in a straight line up the lake then back, while racing rather than constantly doing donuts and tearing up the weeds. Had a buddy out with me and he was completely amazed at the disregard for other boaters and how close they were running around each other at high speeds. I just replied that we would should stay ready to rescue them when they crashed. The most unfortunate thing is that they live on the lake and we will have to endure this until freeze up!

I don't think I will fish the kawarthas on the next Victoria Day Long Weekend.

Actually Roy the canoeist may not be fault free by crossing a channel and impeding the flow of traffic. If the canoe swamped and this ended up in court it might go 50/50.

Just to clarify, there were no other boats in the area and myself & the canoeist were the only 2 boats in sight. When the paddler saw me approaching, she was still on the edge of the channel and stopped to let ME pass, but seeing as there was nobody behind me and I didn't want to take ANY chance of causing her and her son grief I motioned for her to go ahead and cross safely.

When the yahoo in the tinny approached from behind he had a clear and unobstructed view all around and could have gone a dozen different ways to keep everybody safe, but instead decided to take the most direct route available and that was almost over the stern of the canoe.

Absolutely no need to do it other than the fact that he had NO concern whatsoever for the safety or well being of the people in the canoe.

I agree 100% that small vessels, or anyone for that matter, shouldn't be blocking or impeding the flow of traffic in a channel, but that definetely wasn't the case here.

I was in my 14' tinny fishing in the Lindsay river when some ass in his big 25-30' cabin cruiser came flyin down the river and absolutely swamped me.. I was taking on water.. felt like i was on Lake Simcoe or sumthing!

wish people had Common sense and courtesy

Sometimes slowing down can be even worse then keeping on plane.. as when you slow you push alot of water and create an even larger wake...

I am not saying what this guy did was right, I am just saying sometimes it is safer for those in smaller boats to keep on going..

G

You know, stupidity abounds on the water. I watched dozens of boats blast by the Delawana in a clearly marked 9km/hr no wake channel. I wish the OPP had both boats in the water in Honey Harbour, they could have gotten Ontario back in the black by handing tickets out to all the yahoos! I can't tell you how many dirty looks I got because I was putting along at 9km/hr or slower. Never mind out front of Picnic Island. I'd love to see a couple more OPP boats out there. Don't get me started on right of way either. Sailboats have the right of way, canoes should as well. It just makes sense.

Very nice first post bass boater, I am sure that it will endear you to all of the OFC family.

And, by the way, your statement about less wake on plane than off is seriously flawed. Those who choose to be considerate to small craft and canoes can slow down sufficiently to avoid wake if there is no possibility to give them a wide berth.

Very nice first post bass boater, I am sure that it will endear you to all of the OFC family.

And, by the way, your statement about less wake on plane than off is seriously flawed. Those who choose to be considerate to small craft and canoes can slow down sufficiently to avoid wake if there is no possibility to give them a wide berth.

Hey John,

Thanks for your vote of confidents. I can see by my comments that the truth hurts certain individuals, thus the removal of my post. It seems that they can dish it out but they can't take it back. Anyways, I guess I should not have mentioned the name of one of the contributors to this site, but I really hate being stereotyped because I own a bass boat that I am one of those guys who have no consideration for the small crafter. This is not true at all, I welcome anyone and any size boat that they can afford, at least they are out there participating in water sports. Since my post was taken off this site then to be fair I feel that fish farmers post should also be removed, which original got my back up, and felt that I needed to defend myself and fellow bass boaters. I read the articles on this site frequently and the first comment that I make gets retracted, come on fair is fair, and we should all be free to state our opinions, as what most of what this board is opinions.

Before I end this post I would like to draw your attention the video link below regarding boat wake on and off plane. I think that this will conclude my observation regarding smaller wake on plane verses off plane. As you can seen in the first part of the video the 200 HP is throwing a wake while running at a moderate speed, as the tinie crosses the wake it grabs some air. At the end of the video the 200 HP accelerates past the tinie and this time when the tinie crosses the wake it barely leaves the water. Watch the video it is a fact and not just an opinion.

Next time you are on the water try it out for yourself. I am not saying that you should not slow for a smaller craft, it is the law, but sometimes slowing can create more of a problem. I think what needs to be looked at more seriously is the wakeboard boats whose design is to create a wake, when they come close to a smaller craft, canoe, they do not slow as was many cases I experienced this past week-end. this is perhaps a post for another time.

Safe boating,

Bass Boater

Yep, with all the long guns registered and everyone having their "Boat Operators Card", I have never felt safer! NOT! :whistling:

:thumbsup_anim:

Ya I didn't bother to fish either...

I gave the boat a good run just to work out the cob webs from winter storage, but In truth I had no desire to fish in the midst of the chaos of jet ski's, tubes, and speedboats.

Just to much traffic for me....maybe next week :dunno:

Hey John,

Thanks for your vote of confidents. I can see by my comments that the truth hurts certain individuals, thus the removal of my post. It seems that they can dish it out but they can't take it back. Anyways, I guess I should not have mentioned the name of one of the contributors to this site, but I really hate being stereotyped because I own a bass boat that I am one of those guys who have no consideration for the small crafter. This is not true at all, I welcome anyone and any size boat that they can afford, at least they are out there participating in water sports. Since my post was taken off this site then to be fair I feel that fish farmers post should also be removed, which original got my back up, and felt that I needed to defend myself and fellow bass boaters. I read the articles on this site frequently and the first comment that I make gets retracted, come on fair is fair, and we should all be free to state our opinions, as what most of what this board is opinions.

Bass Boater

You're right, fair is fair. Everyone is allowed one account in our community. Which of yours would you like us to delete? That is the reason your post was rendered invisible. If you have a problem with this, PM me.

Every time I think of moving south...i'm gonna read this thread :wallbash:

How do you guys do it anyway?

Just wait for my bass opener report from Long point bay 1-2000 boats in a small bay maybe 3-4k's across all converged on one area in the middle. you can almost walk across and people are whipping around in speedboats ,jet ski's and trolling right through groups of anchored boats. theirs a guy that insists on getting out his scarab with twin 502ci big blocks and flying up the north channel were 75% of the boats are fishing and then he will stand on the bow like its a bass boat and fish for smallies .It's a absolute zoo and I can't wait for it LOL.

Just wait for my bass opener report from Long point bay 1-2000 boats in a small bay maybe 3-4k's across all converged on one area in the middle. you can almost walk across and people are whipping around in speedboats ,jet ski's and trolling right through groups of anchored boats. theirs a guy that insists on getting out his scarab with twin 502ci big blocks and flying up the north channel were 75% of the boats are fishing and then he will stand on the bow like its a bass boat and fish for smallies .It's a absolute zoo and I can't wait for it LOL.

I can't wait :thumbsup_anim:

Gezz, I must have missed something :dunno: . Bass boater, I apologize if I offended you :worthy: . I said """SOME""" not ALL Plus I was talking Speed also. When you see a bunch of boats together slow down. It's like your in a Mall parking lot full of cars going 60 MPH. BAM the guy backing out it was his fault, he should have been watching backing out. You just don't do it. Common sense. Accidents do happen, but try not to make one.

You're right, fair is fair. Everyone is allowed one account in our community. Which of yours would you like us to delete? That is the reason your post was rendered invisible. If you have a problem with this, PM me.

Thanks for the heads up Roy...too bad that some of us need to hide behind a "screen" while throwing darts at others.

Hilarious. And terrifying.