Destruction of a fishery

bigugli

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

keep us posted. should the individual responsible be charged, they are generally fined and then the bank would be repaired at the cost of the landowner.

Not sure if it is set up yet (was in the organizing stages when I left ON) but monies from fines such as these (by the MOE only I believe) go into an environmental damages fund. Then they are applied for by groups for conservation efforts in THE AREA that the fine was levied. This is separate from the remediation required by the landowner.

Wonder if that might be the surcharge added to fines such as these? Think it's something like 25% is automatically added. That can run the tab up in a hurry! Should be a 300% surcharge for this circumstance and all others like it as far as I'm concerned. Especially in an area like the Niagara River!

Michael

I'm sure this is going to generate a whole lot more attention then this person ever imagined.

Where are the tree hugging, placard waving environmentalists when you need them???? :dunno:

In this case I think the tree huggers are all on this website, and good for us! :D

Everything will be swept under the carpet.....The place in question is the Mayor's Pad... ;);)

Well, lets make sure it isn't! Give the authorities time to act and if they don't lets all support Bruce and do something about it!

Edited by Big Cliff

A call to the local news may fix that.

Let's give the authorities some time to work. This was only reported to them this morning.

Call the press in and the property owner will be hiding behind a wall of lawyers slowing everything down.

Let's give the authorities some time to work. This was only reported to them this morning.

Call the press in and the property owner will be hiding behind a wall of lawyers slowing everything down.

Yeah, until their opposition hears about it. Lets face it, if it was indeed the mayor who did this, he or she had opposition in the election. The opposition will jump all over this given the chance to. How much the party in question could deflect toward the contractor remains to be seen.

Has it been confirmed that it's actually the mayor's property? I sorta assumed that the statement was made tongue in cheek and has gotten out of control. Maybe I was wrong but if not it's a stunt the press would be proud of. :P

JF

Thats a big no-no here also.A guy cut down a bunch of trees to get a better "view" of the Potomac a few years back.Monster sized fines for him.Good job,do you have any before pics?

Joe

The area was verdant and lush. Just teeming with life.

DSCN2569.jpg

DSCN2538.jpg

DSCN2575.jpg

the beaver den

DSCN2468.jpg

DSCN2444.jpg

Yeah, I would think catfish could tolerate it, but I dunno what else.

WHeeeeew...for a minute I though this was a real river....that being said,...there are no silt fences or any erosion bariers,.totally illegal, not too mention the change of landscape,....Having a bit of background in this area...I know it is a MAJOR issue!!!

After seeing those last pics, what could actually spawn and survive in that muck?

Channel cats survive and in fact thrive in this pond, aswell as crappie, sunfish,largies it is abit of a mud hole at times. As for Lake Ontario fish using it for spawning I'm not so sure, it's tough for the fish to get into at the mouth, however Salmon use to run it during high water levels.I forgot to mention carp, there's some monster's in there aswell

The sad part is this dude ruined a big part of the natural shoreline,the stupid thing is by removing the trees,vines and ground cover his backyard will soon slump into the pond. Unless this guy spends a few thousand dollars in retaining walls and such he's going to have one big mess on his hands.

The lake run fish came in last year in very large schools. Huge schools of shiners ( food for the bigger fish ), yellow and white perch, sheephead, carp, channel cats, even some bows.

Water looks fairly dark with mud most times, but so does the Grand, and it's teeming with life.