Destruction of a fishery

bigugli

Unfortunately Michael, I think our friend, Susan Irving has already figgered this out...

I don't think she considers me a friend. :good:

Public awareness of an issue is a good thing. Trying to take on a complex issue by yourself is difficult and frustrating. Other concerned anglers and citizens may wish to become involved if they are aware of the issue.

Good Job on taking some action over this issue. :worthy:

I don't think she considers me a friend. :good:

Public awareness of an issue is a good thing. Trying to take on a complex issue by yourself is difficult and frustrating. Other concerned anglers and citizens may wish to become involved if they are aware of the issue.

Good Job on taking some action over this issue. :worthy:

The local club is on board with this being as it is right in their backyard. They will also be doing some lobbying.

No stranger to stirring things up. I've embarrassed a few public officials in the past and I am only too well aware of how to utilize media when necessary.

anymore news on this?

My Bad, correction :blush: Just heard the MNR does not have hard proof of equipment working the water's edge, or destroying shoreline, so they have little to work with.

Priority of action will lie with NPCA and DFO.

NPCA may be hamstrung by a 6 month statute of limitations :rolleyes: The DFO has only just assigned the file to a biologist. Who has not yet seen the file.

Our natural resources might just be squandered in red tape :(

Seems I may just have to get right UGLI :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Edited by bigugli

My Bad, correction :blush: Just heard the MNR does not have hard proof of equipment working the water's edge, or destroying shoreline, so they have little to work with.

NPCA may be hamstrung by a 6 month statute of limitations :rolleyes: The DFO has only just assigned the file to a biologist. Who has not yet seen the file.

Seems I may just have to get right UGLI :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

This is just plain nuts!

"MNR does not have hard proof of equipment working the water's edge, or destroying shoreline, so they have little to work with."

What do they think did this a beaver? Have you thought about contacting the OFAH? If they were too get involved, they might know how to put some pressure on the right people after all many OFNr's are members of the OFAH and this is the sort of thing that needs to bee looked into. If you have a problem getting OFAH to help you, let me know! I'm not afraid to make some phone calls and demand answers.

Last year when I wanted to STOP my shore line from eroding into the lake I had to get a letter from DFO saying it was ok to put filter cloth along the shore line to prevent further errosion. Now this jerk destroy's a shore line and no one seems to want to act? I'm with you Bruce, time to get UGLY and demand some answers! If I had done something like that I'd have been so burried in red tape, bull crap, and threats of legal action I'd have probably had to sell this place.

If you get me the names and emails of any local MPs/MPPs and the exact address of the jerk (his name would help too) I'll start sending emails.

Cliff

Seems I may just have to get right UGLI :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

There is hard evidence, its just a question of how much they're willing to pay for it. There are archived satellite imagery of the area for sure, google might be able to help...

The MNR basically has to catch someone in the act. Just like fishing.

But they can order a restoration..essentially telling him if he touches it again, say hello to the fine book.

DFO has more authority..the town does too, but most don't have the resources to act on something like this.

I'd be curious to know who the dude works for. ;)

Someone mentioned back toward the beginning of this thread that the property owner was the Mayor. All I can say is "the bigger they are the more fun it is to watch them fall". See, I'm old, I don't care who I piss off. If it is in fact the mayor then it is time he became accountable. Gee isn't that a wonderful thought, politicians being held accountabile?

Sounds like it might be time to mention it to someone in the media, preferably someone who likes to stir the pot. A few before and after shots would look good on tv, along with a question like "Who does this property owner know that they can get away with this?"

JF

Sounds like it might be time to mention it to someone in the media, preferably someone who likes to stir the pot. A few before and after shots would look good on tv, along with a question like "Who does this property owner know that they can get away with this?"

JF

Kinda what I'm thinking. Just got to get through the weekend at the Niagara Falls show first.

Well, a little better news this morning. THe OFAH is taking an interest in this problem.

Thanks to all who have contacted different agencies.

As it was explained (off the record) to me. Political risk is a large part of risk assessment in government. The more voices singing out, the better. Government does not respond to silence. E-mail the DFO,MNR and NPCA. IF you have an OFAH membership, let the OFAH know your concern. What happened here has also happened everywhere in this province and it takes noise to make it stop.

Here are the MPP's concerned:

[email protected]

[email protected]

the biologist at the NPCA

[email protected]

Rattle their chains. I would think that Hudak, as leader of the opposition might like to embarass the liberal govt.

Edited by bigugli

How about someone with an understanding of the area etc and some skill with the language drafting a short explanation/complaint that can be sent by the rest of us to the people named above. There's no point in me trying to explain the problem when I have only the vaguest idea of where it is. I didn't used to think repetitive emails meant anything but I've found out that it's the numbers that matter to politicians.

JF

How about someone with an understanding of the area etc and some skill with the language drafting a short explanation/complaint that can be sent by the rest of us to the people named above. There's no point in me trying to explain the problem when I have only the vaguest idea of where it is. I didn't used to think repetitive emails meant anything but I've found out that it's the numbers that matter to politicians.

JF

As a biologist I could draft something if bigugli gives me the specific details. I can add in the sexy biological terminology and make them feel guilty as hell.

As a biologist I could draft something if bigugli gives me the specific details. I can add in the sexy biological terminology and make them feel guilty as hell.

Guilty is good with politicians as long as it's very very public. In private they seem to wear it quite comfortably. :clapping:

JF

Well, today we started a letter writing campaign in Niagara that I was going to bring forward on OFC. Things, however, seemed to have moved very suddenly.

I have not had official word yet, but, from the grapevine, it seems we may have some resolution of the issue. Apparently folks made a lot of noise.

Edited by bigugli

We've put a few cracks in the wall. We just need to keep up the pressure. Follow the link:

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42635&st=0&gopid=455435&

Great letter and effort at finding those email links. Hopefully lots of caring folks get behind your project.If fishermen don't care about the waterways who can we rely on? Good luck.

JF