Destruction of a fishery

bigugli

Letter writing works. This was forwarded from a local MPP.

Thank you for your email of April 12, 2010.

With respect to the above, please be advised that the owners of the property you have referenced are currently in discussions with NPCA with a view to implementing restoration. As of this writing our Regulation Officer has advised that some interim sediment control measures have already been put in place . NPCA has and will continue to pursue satisfactory restoration and resolve of this matter, by the most expedient and legal means available to us.

Yours truly;

John Kukalis,

Director of Water Management

Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority

I too got a reply. Here is the reply and she forwarded me a copy of what you just posted from John K.

Thank you for forwarding your concerns to Tim Hudak, MPP regarding 12 Mile Creek at Lake Ontario. Tim appreciates your comments, and we will ensure that he sees your emails directly. For your information, I have attached the following correspondence we received yesterday from John Kukalis, Director of Water Management with the Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority. If you have any further questions or concerns regarding the resolution to this issue, please contact Mr. Kukalis directly at the NPCA at 905-788-3135 ext. 232 or by email at [email protected].

Sincerely,

Susanna Campbell

Constituent Assistant to

Tim Hudak, MPP for Niagara West - Glanbrook

You've been a great help GBW. I'm not the sharpest pencil in the cup when it comes to computers.

Not a problem.

I'm not to sure but if people comment on the blog WFN may make stick it on the main page.

I got another email, reads as follows:

Hello Geoff;

Thank you for your email of April 13, 2010.

With respect to your email, please be advised that the owners of the property you have referenced are currently in discussions with NPCA with a view to implementing restoration. As of this writing our Regulation Officer has advised that some interim sediment control measures have already been put in place. NPCA has and will continue to pursue satisfactory restoration and resolve of this matter, by the most expedient and legal means available to us.

Yours truly;

Steve Miller, P.Eng.

Coordinator, Watershed Regulations

Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority

Also, the WFN blog is almost at 100 hit's and the replies to it are great, keep them coming!

Good work Bruce, without you, none of this would have happened! It isn't a solution but at least it is a start. Just let us know what we have to do to keep the pressure on until a solution is reached. 100's if not thousands are watching!

At this point in time, much seems to be happening. It would appear that a group of government agencies have gotten involved, but are keeping silent while they investigate. Certainly different from the response of 'our hands are tied'.

I have shied away from the newsmedia to give some people time to get organized. Seems we've attracted enough attention to our problem that the media are now looking for us.

I really do expect a fairly positive outcome.

The silt cloths in place are only a result of pressure and exposure I'm sure, a band aid solution at best (and seriously, how effective?), far too late in my opinion.

But as mentioned it's a start. Thanks for the updates Bruce. thumbsup_anim.gif

Great work on this issue. :good:

Don't always assume silence means thay are working on it. As the person filing the complaint, you are allowed follow-up information concerning the status or outcome of the investigation. A freedom of information request will ensure they are following up as required. Might seem excessive but I can assure you it will bring this file to immediate attention in it's repective offices.

The media is still a good option as accountablity to the public is always better when the majority of the public are aware of the issue. This will also send a message to others in the area that may have thought this shoreline clearing was a good idea.

The more squeak the better.

Edited by Michael Brown

At this point in time, much seems to be happening. It would appear that a group of government agencies have gotten involved, but are keeping silent while they investigate. Certainly different from the response of 'our hands are tied'.

I have shied away from the newsmedia to give some people time to get organized. Seems we've attracted enough attention to our problem that the media are now looking for us.

I really do expect a fairly positive outcome.

I was thinking that if you ignore the media they might end up going to the politicians and bureaucrats for comment which will bring more pressure to bear.

JF

Besides, the politicans get training in dealing with the media. Us common folk are grist for their invention mill. I am a firm believer in the "no comment" policy. I've had my comments butchered in the press often enough to now know better.

JF

• 2 weeks later...

Just a short update. The DFO has deemed, from information provided by the NPCA, that there has been no actual disturbance or damage to the stream bed :blink: so they will take this no further action.

The MNR and NPCA are still working with the landowner to rectify the situation.

Bruce, do you happen to have the name of the DFO employee that deemed there was no damage to the creek bed? I think a letter to their boss demanding that they be retrained would be in order. What do they think all that silt will have done?

Jeez. Our local conservation authority won't let the local country club trim the grass down to water's edge to prtect the sanctity (or something) of the watercourse. So now our previously nicely trimmed creek shores are big ole shaggy messes that eat up golf balls galore.

If one authority figgers mere trimming of weeds is a nono, how can another not see the potential for damage in totally screwing with the shoreline in your example?

Methinks the owner might just know someone (or be someone) after all.

Good try but I think you're seeing a little influence at play here. Might be something for the press to have some fun with after all if the other layers of bureaucracy all roll over as well.

JF