Brush with "greatness" NF

Headhunter

Few NHL fellas, Kirk Muller bought me and some buds a few plates of Mussels, pints and wine in some restaurant in Montreal we would have never got into if he hadn't said, "these 20 people are with me." Sat on a plane beside Ted Nolan back when he was just newly unemployed from Buffalo. What a he!! of a nice guy. Mike Modano, strangely while he was with Kirk Muller, buying pints at the Beer Store in Kingston on Princess. Kirk didn't remember me... basssterd.

Wayne Ronstad when he was "On The Road Again," at Edgetown (now Penny's Pit Stop) outside of Perth.

Got on a chair lift with Captain Jean Luc Picard one time. When we left the ground I said "ENGAGE!!!" Made the bald headed little french man freak, smile a little.

Had a little Subway with Eddie Vedder the singer from some band. Talked about music and boarding.

Said hello to Natasha Henstridge at some little Diner just around the corner from the Delta Chelsea. Told her I thought she was really hot in the movie Species, but hadn't seen the sequel. She said "thanks."

I'm not saying they are bigger than Jesus, or better than Jesus, I was just sayin!

I think maybe the title of this thread should have been "brush with celebs" cause I think that is what Headhunter was trying to get at in the first place.

Joey

Naww.... I think the title to the thread is just fine.... it's just some peoples idea of "greatness" is different from others. There is not right or wrong answer to the thread, it's all personal.

I just meant that I have never been one to see celeb's any different than anyone else. That doesn't make them any less of a person to me. I would sit down and enjoy having a coffee with a celeb, no more or less that anyone else....... great stories and intelligent conversation are always welcome! :-)

Edited by Davis Battah

My Wife and I were on our Honeymoon the first week of December. So were in Aruba walk into this beach store and i look over and say to my Wife hey babe that looks like George St Pierre for those who don't know who he is. He's an Ultimate fighter currently the champ from quebec. She says to me no thats not him I went over any way and sure enough it was him chatted for a minute told him he had a great fight against Matt Hughs shook his hand and said see ya later. It was kind of neat

Tightlines

Gnoddy

Depends on how you define "met" and how you define "great".

I got autographs from Eddy Shack, Ron Ellis, and Paul Henderson at an oldtimers hockey game. I had Red Fisher autograph his book for me at the Fishing Show a few years back.

For a little less well known; I am still using the fish finder that I bought off Karl Kalonka before he became the K-Dog.

Let`s see? Mom and Dad! Took us to Ontario in 1957, put up with "are we there yet" all the way.

My wife, she has put up with me for 20 years! 25 if you count the time she spent trapping me! She may be a saint?

Some of the people I have worked and fished with, greatness is more or less relative.

I had a long love affair with Pamela Anderson

But I found her very one dimensional

And it turned out to be very one sided, guess I had a hand in that

So I turned the page and moved on, ending a very sticky situation

if only one could read between the lines

Edited by Terry

One night at the old LULU's bar in Kitchener I met both Eddie shack & John Candy. Man Candy was a big, big man.

In Athens Georgia I met Michael Stipe and Peter Buck of REM. They had just finished recording "Out of Time" and were hangin out at Buck's wife's bar, the 40 watt club. It was called that because the only light in the place was a 40 watt bulb hanging from a wire in the center of the ceiling.

Guest mistyriver1

Davis, I hope your son's operation goes well.

Terry LOL :lol:

A few names that I've met.....

Bobby Orr

Doug Gilmour

Brad Park

Ron Ellis

Samantha Fox :wub::wub: (at a book signing at the Eaton Centre when I was going to Ryerson)

I rode the elevator with Patrick McNee (from the avengers) when I stayed in a toronto hotel.

I worked with Walter Gretzky for 6 years when I lived in brantford.

My brother in law for a while was the actor Nick Mancuso.

I fish the Red Lake fall classic and rub shoulders with Gary Roach at this event, and have met Bob Probst Sr. at the same event.

Oh yeah...here's a good one. I was standing in line at a club called Stairways back in the early 90s. This guy walks up...passes everyone in line and is stopped by the bouncer.

The bouncer says "Uh huh....see you later...get out of here".

The guy says "Come on!! Do you know who I am????"

The bouncer says "Yep...you're Eric Lindros...and you're underaged..."

Eric looked at the guy and then turned around....everyone in line began cheering....and he left red faced.

He wasn't signed by anyone at this time, but I believe that he was number one pick in the draft in the upcoming year. He thought he could use his "fame" to do whatever he wanted.

A few people I've met.

Brendan Shanahan- played highschool hockey with him

Bette Middler- Worked with her in the movie Stella

John Goodman- Same movie

Kids In The Hall Guys- Was in the Courier de Bois skit with the boys.

Hilary Duff- Meet and Greet for my daughter.

Most of Team Canada Hockey Guys- Night of drinking at the Madison Pub

Mike Ricci- Fished with him at his cottage.

Brett Hull- Picked me off the floor after a night out with the St.Louis Blues

Cheers,

1leg

Davis, best wishes from here as well.

I did get to party with Lemmy (Motorhead) and met many other lesser known metal and punk acts. Dinner with former World Series MVP (and Blue Jay) Pat Borders! LOL.

Was in Chicago in January wtg for a flight to Chattanooga - sitting there looking - then the two characters from MythBusters walk by. My self - being a little fellow - 6'2" - 290# - walk right to them - stick out my hand - Say - "Gentlemen - pleasure to meet you and you have a great show"

I think they thought I was gonna squish them.

Good guys - said hello and talked for about 5 minutes.

Stairways.. that brings back memories...

Koo Koo Bananas, used to see Lindros and half the generals there alot.

Fished with alot of NHLers.

Though my fav was seeing the comic genius Mike Myers at the Duke pub in TO. He was there watching the Leaf game with a jersey on and the worst bed head i have ever seen.

We were in a booth right behind where he was sitting at the bar with a friend. We made every attempt to get his attention by imitating as many characters of his that we could... Austin powers, sprockets, wayne, Axe murderer "heads pants now".. and so on. What fianlly got him to turn around was my impression of "Phillip, the Hyper"... "Sorry, Mommy said I can't have anymore beer, it makes me too horny...." To which he turned around laughing and said... and I quote "That was pretty good, now shut the hell up!"

He gave us a thumbs up after the leafs won and he promptly left the bar... that was a fun night.

Edited by Harrison

I met paul newman,at a private booth at the molson indy in the VIP beer and hospitality event,i talked to him for about 10mins and he was a very nice considerate man and got me a molson indy race shirt,and signed it....way cool.... :thumbsup_anim: also met bobby orr,and he is a very friendly guy as well,and i met daryl sittler,and i met johhny bauer,and bobby hull, now that guy likes his drink,well he used to anyway he rented my xgirlfreinds moms barn to store his 1934 ford,that he was restoring, :clapping: as well as lots of fishing personalitys like bob izumi ect.ect. so i guess i have been lucky enough to have met lots of famous people,also i almost forgot lots of famous race car drivers jackie stuart mario andretti,ron fellows my girlfriend also went to school with paul tracy ,so ya thats my list so far..wow very interesting thread ive never thought about this before....cool cheers :thumbsup_anim::clapping: