A few days in Ottawa

lew

Mornin folks, the Mrs and I decided to take off for a few days and head up to Ottawa to check out the sites. I've travelled thru there before heading up into the Gatineau's in Quebec or fishing the Ottawa River but never spent any time in town doing the tourist thing so we figured it was time.

It was a gorgeous weekend for walking around and we covered alot of miles looking at things.

I've never been a fan of politicians but must admit the Parlaiment Buildings hafta be some of the most impressive buildings in this country, and they sure don't build anything to compare to them these days.

Cnv1939.jpg

The War Memorial is truly something everyone should see if their in Ottawa and was the 1st place I headed. These are the guys that made everything possible for those of us that followed.

Cnv1927.jpg

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Sad but very moving, and it certainly brings the sacrifices they made closer to home.

Cnv1923.jpg

Supreme Court of Canada, taken from Parlaiment Hill

Cnv1943.jpg

1st lock of the Rideau System

Cnv1937.jpg

I've never had a Beaver Tail and that was near the top of my to-do list so we headed over to the canal where they have a booth setup and got one. Hafta admit too, their every bit as good as everyone said they were. We spent about an hour sitting on a bench on the ice watching everyone skating on the worlds longest skating rink.......7 kilometers

Cnv1929.jpg

Cnv1933.jpg

Cnv1931.jpg

This was something I thought was great. Only 150 feet from the Parlaiment Building they've established a place for wild cats to live and are looked after by a retired guy who provides everything for them. The "cat house" is full of straw for warmth and he keeps them supplied with food and water. Their doing well as every cat was fat and playful.

Cnv1944.jpg

Not sure why they have a gun pointed at Quebec from Parlaiment Hill, but I thought it was kinda funny.

Cnv1946.jpg

Anyways, that's where I've been for the last few days and I must admit, Ottawa is a beautiful town and were already talking abut another trip.

Nice break from the the daily routine Lew.

One day soon I'm hoping the missuss an I can get away without purpose.

Cant remember ever going to Ottawa but I know it happened when we were in school.

The architecture there looks mighty impressive.and your band on...........Thats hilarious that the big gun points towards Quebec,,thats a hoot.

Glad you guys enjoyed yourselves and thanks for sharring them pics.

If anything else........

I bet that Tomb for the Unknown Soldier makes everyone forget about anything else they may have had had on their minds for a few moments.

Nice Pics Lew, just saw a show about those cats. A vet gives his time every year to make sure they get their shots and they definitely don't go hungry with a bunch of people feeding them. Have to see the War Memorial and the Tomb of the Unknown soldier in person to truly get a feel for the magnitude of sacrifice those men and woman gave to give this country an identity. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

1leg

Great shots Lew! All stuff I've seen a thousand or more times, as I grew up in Sin City (Smiths Falls) right on the Rideau, but it never gets boring. Amazing construction in those old PBuildings and the locks at every rise/fall in the system are a marvellous engineering feat in themselves. Driving down town is worse than Hamilton's one way madness..but other than that a great little city.

I have to agree Lew, Ottawa is very beautiful. I used to live in Buckingham, Que when I was a kid for a few years, and we used to go there quite often, and skate on the Rideau. Thanks for bringing back those memories.

Joey

Seemed like I'd been there not too long ago when I looked at the pics. Then I realized it was when I got married. We went there on our honeymoon almost seventeen years ago :w00t: I hope you took the tour inside the parliament buildings .... gorgeous. Also the museum of civilization (you can see it in yours and even better in CrisS's pic of the lock) was a great place to visit (was there only ten years ago) and they have an Imax theatre. I love those Imax movies. There is definetely alot to do in Otterwa. Glad you had fun.

Edited by kennyman

I hope you took the tour inside the parliament buildings .... gorgeous. Also the museum of civilization

Actually, it was such a gorgeous weekend weather-wise, we decided to spend all our time touring the outdoors stuff and we'll save the indoors sites for another weekend when the weather isn't so nice.

We did spend alot of time around Parlaiment Hill though taking in the sites.

Chris, thanks for the summer pics of the locks, it's nice to get a different perspective.

I'll be seeing the Ottawa River again this summer at least once, cept this time it'll be chasing some big toothies.