Bead Head Stone Fly

Spiel

Well I spent a rather quiet Sunday afternoon here mucking about between the puter and the fly tying vise. So I thought what the hell, I'll snap some pictures of how I do it and post them here in a "Leechman" fashion (thanks Jacques).

Now as I mentioned in a previous post I've been away from fly tying for over 20 years.

I do remember all the basic skills but tying with jig hooks and bead heads is all new to me.

So I've been playing at this for a number of weeks now trying new materials and fiddling with ways to get it all right with the jig hooks and beads.

So it starts with a straight pin and some thread.

gallery_9_87_21100.jpg

To this I add 2 segments from a goose biot quill to form the stonefly antennae. (dyed black)

gallery_9_87_2640.jpg

Once the antennae are in place a small black bead is slid up the pin, glued in place with 5 minute epoxy then secured to the jig hook. For this fly I'm using a #6 Daiichi jig hook.

gallery_9_87_18327.jpg

Then 2 more goose biot segments are added for the tail followed by the under body. This consists of a short section of bamboo toothpick split down the middle, secured in place with thread then coated in 5 minute epoxy. This is done to give the stonefly the correct body shape.

gallery_9_87_7697.jpg

Now a length of very fine copper wire is added and then a loop of thread is created to accomadate the dubbing. The thread is first rubbed down with bees wax and then black squirrel fur is inserted between the threads then spun into a yarn type consistency.

gallery_9_87_27039.jpg

The fur is wrapped foreward creating the body.

gallery_9_87_18584.jpg

Followed by the copper wire to create segmentation.

gallery_9_87_25702.jpg

Now this is where I've been playing. I'm using a previously unkonown material to me called Swiss Straw.

gallery_9_87_22425.jpg

I'm using it here to create what will become the wing casing....

gallery_9_87_8793.jpg

Then splitting another piece into thinner lengths, then knotting it to become the legs.

gallery_9_87_15135.jpg

So here we are with 4 of the legs in place....

gallery_9_87_13110.jpg

Now all 6 legs in place and another length of dubbed squirrel fur wrapped up through the legs to the head.

gallery_9_87_5394.jpg

Flipping the fly over I then split the Swiss Straw and bring it forward on each side of the jig hook eye.

gallery_9_87_24736.jpg

Secured in place with the thread I now wrap it off securely and apply finishing cement on the thread and over the wing casing to make it glossy (thats important).

And that's it. Here's the finished stonefly next to a quarter.

gallery_9_87_11773.jpg

Thanks for looking. :)

nice job!!! its kinda funny when ya refer back to " 20 years ago" ....where the heck does the time go

its a relaxing day when ya have the time to tie flies

my how time flies? ya know someone (GCD, Roy?) was going to say it...

That stone fly looks AMAZING! great work there.

Thanks everyone. They are tedious and time consuming but I'm enjoying playing around with ideas and trying to create something realistic.

Chris, that's pretty awesome!

I bought pins to make some steelhead jigs, but the heads were to small and went right through the beads :)

My pins are no different Bill but what I do is build up a small ball of thread to keep the bead from slipping off the pin. I'll do 6 or so at a time then mix a small amount of 5 minute epoxy, cover the thread with it then slip the bead into position.

Give ya a buck fifty for it Chris. :D

For a buck fifty Ron I wouldn't even let you hold one. :w00t:

Doesn't look at all like the real thing, Chris.

Amazing work. Congratulations.

I've saved that image Doug, I'll try to do better. ;)

(That said you might want to mix in some maribou to give the fly some movement)

I hear what your saying Mike and agree to some extent. Honestly these are just to time consuming and are more for show than anything. For ease of construction and movement I'm more inclined to fill my box with patterns using a hackle in place of legs. Like this one.

gallery_9_87_3962.jpg

I have a different way of making the abdomen of stonefly nymphs. I take a large feather...any large wing or tail feather will do. I remove all the plumes from the stem of the feather and then soak the stem in warm water for an hour.

Then, I cut a slight nick near the thin edge of the face of the stem and slowly peel off the surface of the stem. This makes a ribbon that gradually gets larger from one end to the other.

I apply the ribbon to an already dubbed abdoment on the fly starting at the tail with the narrowest end of the ribbon. I tie each turn close to the previous turn until I get to the thorax of the fly. This makes an extremely impressive segmented thorax with a slight fuzz that escapes between the rolls of stem feather covering.

Wing feathers from crows make a beautiful black abdomen while wing feathers from turkeys make a great mottled brown tapered abdomen.