Tow vehicle question

HTHM

I need to find a fuel efficient vehicle to act as a daily driver and tower for my Ranger 370V. I have just been given a new job in which I will be driving about 25-35000 kilometers a year. (15-21000 miles)

I would like to park my full size van or sell it, but it is the only vehicle that we have that can pull it right now.

Any ideas???

i have a 2002 pontiac montana mini van

i use 8-9 liters per 100km/30-35mpg

its been a great van 289,000km on it

2200lb towing capacity

plus mine has air ride suspension on it and when i pull anything it automaticly goes back to a level ride,

and because it has the air ride it also has a built in air compressor to fill up low tires,

the hose it came with reaches all my trailer tires

For many years I had a Ranger 375, not the lightest of bass boats. I towed it with a Chevy Astro van, but even it struggled at times, and it wasn't the best with gas consumption. Whatever vehicle you choose, remember that it also has to have the brakes to stop your boat. I would not suggest you tow it with any front wheel drive van. I'm not sure what you are towing it with right now, but if you already have a vehicle, why don't you look for a reliable commuter car that's good on gas, and use it for work.

I purchased a Hyundai Sante Fe last fall. It is a fantastic vehicle. 3.3L engine and on-demand all wheel drive it towed my lund last year and the new triton this year. You don't even notice the boat back there. The fuel mileage towing the Triton from Kentucky home was 12.3L/100km. The all-wheel drive is great at slippery boat ramps and the wife calls it her tank. It has ESC which will not let the vehicle fishtail or spin out, we tried on a snow covered parking lot. (bride and I actually had a lot of fun)

Great looking vehicle and amazing warrenty. After years of domestics with nothing but problems this has been a great change. So far besides oil changes I have replaced one headlight bulb $12.99, 51,000km.

We bought the limited model so it has lots of toys but you don't need a gas guzzling tank to haul a boat.

Just my two cents but I'm impressed with it.

Edited by Michael Brown

Do you two your boat often? If you tow it to the cottage in the spring and back home in the fall; you may want to consider renting or borrowing a vehicle when you need to tow it. This obviously won't work if tow it to a lake and back every weekend.

I can't really suggest a vehicle. However, if are driving for work you should be able to deduct a portion of your auto expenses. That will take a bit of the sting out of the expenses. Remember to actually track your business mileage rather than just picking a % out of the air.

How heavy is the boat/trailer?? Make sure you leave 1000lbs of towing capacity extra. When towing capacity is measured, it usually means a 150lb driver and a full tank of gas and absolutely nothing else in the tow vehicle. So with passengers and gear you don't exceed it. Don't overload because if you need to stop in a hurry, it won't happen. I've seen too many yahoos on the road towing more than they should going wayyy too fast. I pull my 19ft Larson with my Olds Silhouette extended (3500lb towing cap) and it is too close to the limit. I'll be buying an SUV next year with a V8.

I'm very happy with my '09 Ridgeline. 13L/100km, 1st yr 35,000km

I was just thinking yesterday if you did get this and how you liked it?

I second the Ridgeline. I am on my second one now (lease). I cannot say enough about this vehicle. It drives like a car, storage of a van, never let me down. It pulls and stops my boat no problem (around 2500-3000 lbs package). Not too sure of the milage, but I know it is better than what my Astro was.

The only thing it is missing is a Dave Mercer bobble head!!!!

v7b1pd.jpg

Luv my Expedition too. I am fully doing my part to rid the world of fossil fules as fast as I can. 105L tank gets me and my boat from Oakville to North Bay. Have to fill up at North Bay to make it to Temagami. Got 195K on her now and she's still going strong.

Too boot I can get a Clam Nanook and a Frabil Recon with all the extra gear in the back with the seats folded down.

My next one will be an Expedition too.

I have an Expedition, it will pull anything you want. I think I get about 1-2 miles per gallon!!!!

I have a 2000 Eddie Bauer with all possible performance add-ons and wouldn't trade it for anything except better fuel economy with the boat in tow 11 MPG on a good day.

Gull2009001.jpg

Or maybe this?

f650.jpg

But in all seriousness ....full sized SUV or 1/2 ton ... I wouldn't settle for anything less...

It's not to say that the Minivans or Compact Trucks aren't capable of towing your boat...

But are they capable of stopping the rig in a safe distance??? I know that my Buddy's ZR-2 Sonoma has a REALLY hard time slowing down his 18' Lund....and Mikey's Ranger can barely stop his 18'Ranger even with electric brakes.

Play Safe.

RFS

:canadian:

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

Keep your van for towing. Get yourself a used Impala or Grand Prix with a 3.8 and you'll have a good reliable car capable of decent gas mileage but is also fairly heavy and safe. I'm a road warrior and do over 40k/year and Iwould not even think of getting a small car. With all the crazy tractor trailer drivers out there........I need a heavier car to feel comfy, besides, they ride nice.

Edited by bigbuck

I have a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder. I pull a 16.5 ft Princecraft Holiday SC with a 60hp 4stroke Merc, plus a ton of gear all summer long! Whether just for fishing or for camping. In the winter, I am pulling a 700cc Quad most weekends and a fish trap as well. I work in sales and put an average of 30,000k on the vehicle per year. I cant say enough about the Nissan Pathfinders. It has over 210k on it now and I swear it still has every bit of gumption today as it did when I bought it! Just a fantastic machine! Other then the regular oil changes and basic maintenance, it has not cost me one dime additional.

Having said this, I am not sure about the new Pathfinder Model. They changed the motor from a 3.5 to a 4.0. It is my personal oppinion or suspicion (which ever) that this was done because the original 3.5 was just too damn reliable and the people who bought them, didnt need to buy again for a very long time! Not good for car sales! lol

Ab

I have an propane/gas F150 4.8 v8 pulls my 20 foot Lund no problem.I save about 40% on fuel cost with the propane. I fill the gas tank for the winter just for weight in the snow.I put the gas in December and it will last till next winter The truck starts on gas and changes over to propane automatically. I save about $200.00 a month. It cost me .08 cent a km on propane and .17cents a km on gas at todays prices .63 cents per liter propane,.97cents for gas.Since I'm guiding I'm pulling my boat all the time. In your case 25000 km x.o8= $2000.00 or 25000 km x.17=$4250.00= big savings in one year and that is if gas stays at 97cent witch it won't

Edited by Steve piggott

For many years I had a Ranger 375, not the lightest of bass boats. I towed it with a Chevy Astro van, but even it struggled at times, and it wasn't the best with gas consumption. Whatever vehicle you choose, remember that it also has to have the brakes to stop your boat. I would not suggest you tow it with any front wheel drive van. I'm not sure what you are towing it with right now, but if you already have a vehicle, why don't you look for a reliable commuter car that's good on gas, and use it for work.

This is good advise from greenfshrmn.

It may depend on how often you tow a boat.

If it's only a few times each year it may not be financially wise to run a gas hog every other day just to allow you to tow your boat.

Edited by Bernie

3552594904_1eb303cfc7_b.jpg

A 03 2500HD,6.6 Duramax. Just under 200k.

Have more braking surface on the rear brakes then most non-trucks have

on all four, And the fronts are bigger.

For fuel. the on board reads 13.4/100 and needs a service.

Once serviced will drop to 12.5.

I drive from Richmondhill to Bolton. A drive of 24k one way. There is 25 sets of lights.

I would call that city driving.

Last year was the first year of towing the Lund. The fuel mileage average about the same

on the hi way.

My tow speeds isn't something I like to talk about, On a open forum. ;);) nudge,nudge.

Ya gotta pay if yer gonna play... too bad you haven't figured that one out yet.

If you have enough money to afford a Ranger boat, you have enough money for a full size towing vehicle with a V8 engine.

Sure you can get away with towing with a 1/2 vehicle fo a while... but sooner or later it will catch up to you!!!

Do you really want to be the "Boat Launch Bozo" that can't pull his expensive boat up the ramp because he scrimped on the tow vehicle???